Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Watch ESPN

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

That doesn't describe what I'm seeing. Comcast ISP only, Directv for TV, have the WatchESPN app on my iPad and I can watch ESPN3 (only) on it.

You are logging into the app with your Comcast credentials?

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

- Merg

I can do the same.

Yes - log in to WatchESPN with my comcast ISP login details, and ESPN3 feeds are available within the WatchESPN app. (EPSN/EPSN2 etc are not available)

If I recall, I did have to try a few times before I got it to work. Previously I had Verizon DSL, and so could not use the WatchEPSN app when it first came out - even tho I could see ESPN3 feeds on the website. After I switched to Comcast, it took a little effort, but eventually worked. Might be worth killing the app, rebooting the iPad/iPhone, or even deleting the app and downloading the latest version and trying from the beginning.

I didn't know WatchESPN was available on Apple TV - trying to figure the easiest/most reliable way to show it on my actual TV. I just wish the actual TV vendors would come up/be-allowed-to come up with a TV app. Netflix and Hulu directly via ethernet into my TV are excellent. I want fewer boxes behind/under my TV, not more!

#43 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

- Merg

Yes

#44 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

That doesn't describe what I'm seeing. Comcast ISP only, Directv for TV, have the WatchESPN app on my iPad and I can watch ESPN3 (only) on it.

Maybe iPad access is an additional thing that ISPs can pay for. I know I can't watch through an iPad app with Charter ISP, but I can on the Apple TV or web.

#45 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

I am trying to move from comcast cable internet service to verizon fios internet service. Right now I don't subscribe comcast tv service, but can still watch espn3 on laptop, ipad, iphone, apple tv, xbox etc. Now if I don't subscribe tv service from verizon, just take their internet service will I able to watch espn3 on all the devices I mentioned? Note that I am not talking about watch espn for which you need tv service

#46 OFFLINE   dschamis

dschamis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Any updates on this? Absolutely absurd that we still don't have it.

#47 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Any updates on this? Absolutely absurd that we still don't have it.

it will be in the new contract that is being discussed now
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#48 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

DirecTv needs to cover all the bases with the new ESPN Deal. They need to of course negotiate to get the Watch ESPN App, need the Longhorn Network, ESPN Gameplan & ESPN Full Court Packages need to be in HD, need a way to watch ESPN 3 on our iPads, & phones. They need to get all that done.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#49 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,559 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

DirecTv needs to cover all the bases with the new ESPN Deal. They need to of course negotiate to get the Watch ESPN App, need the Longhorn Network, ESPN Gameplan & ESPN Full Court Packages need to be in HD, need a way to watch ESPN 3 on our iPads, & phones. They need to get all that done.

They don't "need" the Longhorn Network, and would probably be better off in the long run if they were able to avoid taking it. If it is successful it will just encourage a bunch of schools to start up their own single team network, partner with ESPN, and force it on providers during Disney renewal negotiations.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#50 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

I don't think Gameplan is in HD,  not sure about Full Court but is probably not in HD either.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#51 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

They don't "need" the Longhorn Network, and would probably be better off in the long run if they were able to avoid taking it. If it is successful it will just encourage a bunch of schools to start up their own single team network, partner with ESPN, and force it on providers during Disney renewal negotiations.

You're thinking of this in a broad sense, not in a micro sense.

The reason why Texas has a network is because ESPN is paying them 300 million dollars over a 20 year span ($15 million per year).

ESPN is not going to pay any other university anywhere near that kind of money, with the exception of Notre Dame.

The other big universities such as Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Alabama, USC, Stanford, etc. are already in binding agreements with their conference networks.

And yes, Stanford is a big program.  They have of the biggest athletic department budgets in the country (Top 5).  

They have as many sports teams to fund as any other university in the country.  Just look at their athletics site, and you'll see they have almost 40 men's and women's sports to fund.

Therefore, Notre Dame may be the only university within the next 10-20 years that can start a network and partner with ESPN.

ESPN is not going to pay Oklahoma 300 million, or even 100 million.  Oklahoma is not Texas in terms of fan demand and TV ratings, etc.

Nebraska even brings in more football revenue per year than Oklahoma does.  Look it up if need be.  Nebraska is always in the Top 7, and usually in the Top 5 in that category nationally.

As a result, DirecTV shouldn't worry about schools starting up networks.  It costs a ton of money to start up a network, and a lot of risk.  

ESPN isn't sharing that risk, unless the reward could be high (as they assumed with Texas).

It's the conference networks that DirecTV needs to worry about, not Longhorn Network and their 35 cents per subscriber.

In fact, DirecTV and ESPN have already come to a verbal agreement within the package deal for Longhorn Network, that was one of the first ones done as it is one of the cheapest things in the entire package.

It's the more expensive content from Disney/ESPN that DirecTV is taking more time on in terms of getting the right deal.

• boukengreen likes this

#52 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,559 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

If Ohio State wanted to start a team network and the B1G senses there's money to be made by doing this, they could probably work things out with the conference and BTN/Fox. They could allow all schools in the conference to start their own network, and allow them to have whatever the crappiest game of the season on the channel like Longhorn does (OSU vs Akron or Kent State or whoever) They'd probably require some sort of partial revenue sharing between the teams, to avoid making the gap between OSU and Purdue grow any wider, but why wouldn't OSU do this, even if they had to do full revenue sharing it is still free money and more exposure for the school.

Whether ESPN pays OSU, Michigan and PSU $300 million or $100 million or whatever is irrelevant. If those schools can sign a deal with ESPN contingent on ESPN forcing national coverage at renewal time similar to Longhorn Network, why not? Heck, even smaller schools could get into the act, by offering ESPN half ownership for free, in exchange for doing all the production work and guaranteeing they'll force coverage. It would be free money in ESPN's pocket, so why not?

Obviously in the B1G's case it would make a lot more sense (and be more likely) to partner with Fox instead of ESPN, but Fox wouldn't have quite so easy a time forcing it on people since FS1 is definitely no ESPN. On the other hand, they have FNC, and the threat of taking that away would get O'Reilly involved calling the provider who didn't cave to Fox pinheads, and getting all his fans in an uproar. :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#53 ONLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

And yes, Stanford is a big program.  They have of the biggest athletic department budgets in the country (Top 5).  

Not just a big program.  The most successful athletic program, ever.

Over the last 20 years, the Cardinal has won the Directors' Cup (awarded to most successful athletic program) 19 times.

Notre Dame?  It's lost its competitive advantage (TV exposure before the cable era). 

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#54 OFFLINE   AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'm hoping that ESPN works out a deal so come next MLS season the out of market games can still be available on DirecTV via overflow channels much like the NBC EPL ones. Especially since Direct Kick is done for after this current season.

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

Directv is going after networks with big bucks and exposure,  and PAC-12 is not in that list,  Why you think everytime there's a big baseball game or football game on ESPN,  they've mentioned Directv,  all about exposure and marketing.  SEC is another way for more,  But that's not a bad thing at all,  that's smart on both ESPN and Directv,  and PAC-12 having Dish's name on stadiums,  Is why Directv is not dealing with them,  plain and simple,  so I doubt is about price.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#56 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,172 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

I don't think Gameplan is in HD,  not sure about Full Court but is probably not in HD either.

my cable company sent out an email last week that game plan and full court are now included in the monthly sports pass. no more subscriptions. sports pass is ten dollars a month so there is at least a 50 percent savings.

#57 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

If Ohio State wanted to start a team network and the B1G senses there's money to be made by doing this, they could probably work things out with the conference and BTN/Fox. They could allow all schools in the conference to start their own network, and allow them to have whatever the crappiest game of the season on the channel like Longhorn does (OSU vs Akron or Kent State or whoever) They'd probably require some sort of partial revenue sharing between the teams, to avoid making the gap between OSU and Purdue grow any wider, but why wouldn't OSU do this, even if they had to do full revenue sharing it is still free money and more exposure for the school.

Whether ESPN pays OSU, Michigan and PSU $300 million or $100 million or whatever is irrelevant. If those schools can sign a deal with ESPN contingent on ESPN forcing national coverage at renewal time similar to Longhorn Network, why not? Heck, even smaller schools could get into the act, by offering ESPN half ownership for free, in exchange for doing all the production work and guaranteeing they'll force coverage. It would be free money in ESPN's pocket, so why not?

Obviously in the B1G's case it would make a lot more sense (and be more likely) to partner with Fox instead of ESPN, but Fox wouldn't have quite so easy a time forcing it on people since FS1 is definitely no ESPN. On the other hand, they have FNC, and the threat of taking that away would get O'Reilly involved calling the provider who didn't cave to Fox pinheads, and getting all his fans in an uproar. :)

That is not going to happen. That is not in the Big Ten's nature. They share everything more than any other conference. They didn't even give in a teeny tiny bit to try to land Notre dame.

As for the others, the SEC thrives on the SEC brand. The conference has taken off since it became a single unit. The acc owns, as a conference, all media national rights in perpetuity of all the schools, even if one leaves, due to its new contract.

I think we are past the single school channel. Even if they get some cheap coverage, LHN is seen as a failure financially and strategically.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#58 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Fox has broadcast (with NFL and MLB games), FX. FXX. FXM, FS1 and FS2 as well as others to push around. I think losing the FX channels can be bigger then losing the disney channles.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#59 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

Fox has broadcast (with NFL and MLB games), FX. FXX. FXM, FS1 and FS2 as well as others to push around. I think losing the FX channels can be bigger then losing the disney channles.

Perhaps in your locale. But fortunately for me, I don't see much of Fox Sports, as CSN (Comcast Sports Net) does a good job and has wide coverage in the Bay Area, and Disney/ESPN has pretty much the rest of it.  BTW, I loathe Fox Sports, though their camera personnel have gotten better. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#60 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Perhaps in your locale. But fortunately for me, I don't see much of Fox Sports, as CSN (Comcast Sports Net) does a good job and has wide coverage in the Bay Area, and Disney/ESPN has pretty much the rest of it.  BTW, I loathe Fox Sports, though their camera personnel have gotten better. 

Fox OTA has big rights also some markets have local FSN feeds.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...