Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why am I getting empty recordings?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have tried twice to record the MTV Music Award program on MTV HD. Each time, it looks like it records successfully. But when I click Play, I immediately get a prompt asking me if I want to delete the program. I believe I have seen reports of this happening to others, but do we have a definitive explanation for why it is happening and a way to avoid it?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Perform a menu reset of your receiver and then try recording it again.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

This can happen if the satellite signal is weak or missing when the DVR tries to start recording.  Have you checked your signal readings?  What model DVR do you have?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

Since my first post, I have tried several things.  First of all, I scheduled a recording of the repeat performance of the MTV Music Awards on each of my three DVR's (two HR24-500's and one HR21).  When I viewed the three recordings, the recording on the DVR that caused the original problem produced the same result.  I was able to see 10-15 seconds of the recording, which was exhibiting severe signal breakup, and then it asked me if I wanted to delete the program.

On the other two DVR's, the recorded program was completely fine, i.e. no signal breakup, and the recording was intact for its entire two hours.

I performed a System Test on the DVR (one of the HR24's ), and the System Test completed with an "OK".  If there was a signal problem, I was under the impression that the System Test would produce an error.

According to the TPN_Domestic spreadsheet, MTV HD CH 331 is on D12@103W.  I'll check the signal strength of this transponder.  However, if the program recorded fine on the other two DVR's which share the same dish and multiswitch, why is the a problem on only one DVR?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Edited by JerryMeeker, 28 August 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

I just checked signal strength on 103CA, and the lowest signal is 92 with most being 95. I also re-ran the satellite guided set-up, which completed successfully with no errors.

I am at a loss.

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Try swapping the "bad" HR24 with your good one.  Does the good HR24 have the same problem at the bad location?  Or does it follow the "bad" DVR?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Well, the root cause has been identified! For one of the first times in my long history with DTV (customer since 1994), I was hooked up with a very knowledgeable technician who assisted me in isolating what was wrong. I reported earlier that the signal strengths on 103CA were all 92 or better. However, I never opened the Signal Meters display. Sure enough, when viewing the signal strength meters for 103CA, Tuner 1 was only 72%, while Tuner 2 was 96%. After swapping cables (I still have the old 2-coax connection setup) and swapping the B-Band converters, we were able to determine that there is a cabling issue between the multi switch and the B-Band converter. Since it is late in the evening, I'll trouble-shoot all the connections tomorrow morning.

With the bad cable on tuner 1, I recorded a couple of minutes of a program on MTV DT and played it back. Sure enough, I immediately got the "Do you want to keep or delete" message, indicating the recording was bad.

I love it when the issue can be isolated like this! And I learned to always view the signal strength meters...

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Glad you got it figured out.  Keep us posted. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...