Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does GenieGo Require Whole-Home DVR Service?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BigDawg

BigDawg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

I just got my GenieGo today.  I've had the Genie HR34 for about a year or so now.  Prior to today I didn't have the $3 / month charge for Whole-Home DVR.  Now I do.

Based on what I've read on the PDF manual and online forums, I don't see any requirement that states that the WHDVR is required. 

Is there anyone out there that has an HR34 plus a GenieGo without the Whole-Home DVR service?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

I just got my GenieGo today.  I've had the Genie HR34 for about a year or so now.  Prior to today I didn't have the $3 / month charge for Whole-Home DVR.  Now I do.

Based on what I've read on the PDF manual and online forums, I don't see any requirement that states that the WHDVR is required. 

Is there anyone out there that has an HR34 plus a GenieGo without the Whole-Home DVR service?

I could be wrong, but I thought a Genie required whole home, not because of a technical requirement but as a policy decision by DirecTV

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

GenieGO does not require WHDVR service.  That was a certainty about a year ago.

Plug in the GenieGO and give a try.  Be sure your account is authorized for it on the web.  Its n/c per month.

Please report back and let us know if its still the case.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,247 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Subscribers getting a Genie now automatically get the Whole Home DVR as part of the $25 Advanced Receiver fee. Even if you only have one receiver or don't want MRV.

But if you had the Genie before, you don't have to get or pay for MRV. I just dont know what that date between optionsl and mandatory is

But it may take several phone calls to get it turned off.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

Genie is automatically supposed to trigger requiring Whole Home...even if its the only device you have.  It can just be considered the price of having a Genie....if you dont want the charge, consider not getting a Genie or switching to a different provider.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Yup. If you have the Genie without the Whole Home Fee, don't expect that to last. DirecTV will catch it at some point and it will be added on. I suspect that if you don't have the Whole Home Fee on your account and you make any change to your account that it automatically adds it on. In the OP's case, the addition of the GenieGo probably caused the system to see that the Whole Home Fee was missing.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall