Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Google and the Internet a serious 'threat' to DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

Cable and Satellite is losing ground to illegal downloads and legal stream sites primarly torrents sites plain and simple, But then what happens if cable companies decides to raise prices for broadband internet and start usage caps and crack down illegal downloading sites, then what?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

I guess nobody has seen this...

http://www.huffingto..._n_3645927.html

To be the most "powerful" nation in the world, there is no excuse (yeap, capitalism) to be #9.   :nono2:

This also has something to do with it:

http://geography.abo...ntries-area.htm

http://www.worldatla...ge/usabysiz.htm

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#63 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

I guess nobody has seen this...

http://www.huffingto..._n_3645927.html

To be the most "powerful" nation in the world, there is no excuse (yeap, capitalism) to be #9.   :nono2:

Geography and size.  Look at the size of those nations in front of the US.  Much, much, much smaller.  The US is still a very rural country in many parts and it is not economical to provide speeds to some parts of the country.  That is a big part of it.  We also have many times the population of some of those countries in front of us.  For a country our size in population and geography, we are a clear #1 by a wide margin.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#64 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Which city in the U.S. has speeds of 500Mbs for $25/month? I don't think geography and size has anything to do with that. The only solution is competition because without it there's no reason to offer faster speeds.

#65 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Is Google and the Internet a serious 'threat' to DirecTV?

I sure hope so...... 

#66 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

Which city in the U.S. has speeds of 500Mbs for $25/month? I don't think geography and size has anything to do with that. The only solution is competition because without it there's no reason to offer faster speeds.

I disagree.  Who is going to spend money to build out the infrastructure if there are no people to buy the product?  There's a reason there are few cable tv systems in rural parts of this country and why UVERSE or FIOS won't run lines in many places...it isn't profitable and would take years and years to get there.  In my opinion, but I've heard this stated often in the industry.

• HerntDawg likes this
DIRECTV employee

#67 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

I disagree.  Who is going to spend money to build out the infrastructure if there are no people to buy the product?  There's a reason there are few cable tv systems in rural parts of this country and why UVERSE or FIOS won't run lines in many places...it isn't profitable and would take years and years to get there.  In my opinion, but I've heard this stated often in the industry.

I was very happy in the late 90's when AT&T offered cable internet in my "rural" town.

#68 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

I know it is economics as I have been in that fight for years.  I live just outside a small rural town. About 4 years ago Qwest offered DSL in town but only to locations within 3 miles of the CO (no RTs) Town is only a mile wide but the CO is on the other side so no luck for me. Comcast has fiber running down the highway about a 1/4 mile from my subdivision but they refuse to wire the subdivision. After analysis I unfortunately have to agree, there are 40 2-1/2 acre lots. It would take 3 miles of hardline to serve the neighborhood and half the homes would take 200 -300 feet of RG11 for the individual drop. The area is not new, developed in the 90s so anyone who wants pay TV already has satellite. Rather hard to pay for the construction with 25 - 30 internet customers and 5 or so TV customers

My Setup

#69 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

I was very happy in the late 90's when AT&T offered cable internet in my "rural" town.

Sure, but that ain't happening this decade in rural spots, many towns, nor in some smaller cities. 

How big is your town?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#70 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I don't disagree with the situation in rural areas, but I'm talking about in cities. Competition is so limited that there's little incentive to update antiquated infrastructure.

#71 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

I know it is economics as I have been in that fight for years.  I live just outside a small rural town. About 4 years ago Qwest offered DSL in town but only to locations within 3 miles of the CO (no RTs) Town is only a mile wide but the CO is on the other side so no luck for me. Comcast has fiber running down the highway about a 1/4 mile from my subdivision but they refuse to wire the subdivision. After analysis I unfortunately have to agree, there are 40 2-1/2 acre lots. It would take 3 miles of hardline to serve the neighborhood and half the homes would take 200 -300 feet of RG11 for the individual drop. The area is not new, developed in the 90s so anyone who wants pay TV already has satellite. Rather hard to pay for the construction with 25 - 30 internet customers and 5 or so TV customers

Well, the situation is the same with running electric lines and phone lines to remote places. Its most definitely not profitable to run wire and poles down miles of country roads to serve a handful of farmers or ranchers. Laws were passed requiring they be served, the people in the cities are essentially subsidizing the people in the countryside via some small taxes/fees tacked onto your electric and phone bill that pay for this.

Theoretically the same could be done for broadband, but there are a lot of reasons (aside from the obvious political ones) why implementing such a law would be quite difficult.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#72 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

I disagree.  Who is going to spend money to build out the infrastructure if there are no people to buy the product?  

Bingo!  you are correct.  these are only a small portion of the subs.  even in big cities, we are very limited when it comes to internet.  how come google can provide gigabit speeds, but nobody else though of that!.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#73 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Bingo!  you are correct.  these are only a small portion of the subs.  even in big cities, we are very limited when it comes to internet.  how come google can provide gigabit speeds, but nobody else though of that!.....

Gigabyte speeds have been around before Google even existed as a company they didn't create anything new. As to why are they doing it? Because they have the cash to burn and in the long run they will know everything about you to sell advertisements.  How many households are currently serviced by Google fiber service? What is the roll out rate for Google Fiber? What is the projected return on it for the next 5 years? Define what you mean on limited when it comes to internet.  You may want to read http://commercialobs...esnt-fare-well/ and http://gizmodo.com/a...he-b-1057686215. People confuse the internet with bandwidth. Bandwidth has gotten cheaper but internet bills continue to increase each year.

#74 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Gigabyte speeds have been around before Google even existed as a company they didn't create anything new. As to why are they doing it? Because they have the cash to burn and in the long run they will know everything about you to sell advertisements.  How many households are currently serviced by Google fiber service? What is the roll out rate for Google Fiber? What is the projected return on it for the next 5 years? Define what you mean on limited when it comes to internet.  You may want to read http://commercialobs...esnt-fare-well/ and http://gizmodo.com/a...he-b-1057686215. People confuse the internet with bandwidth. Bandwidth has gotten cheaper but internet bills continue to increase each year.

But you are missing the point.  There is no reason why cities such as NYC, LA and such do not have average speeds of >100Mbps.  the technology is here.  and there is no reason why of our mobile Internet infrastructure is well, so 1930s.... oh wait, there is a reason, CEOs, and big brass of these companies wants to keep (horde) all of their cash instead of investing this back on their companies and yes that means their employees as well!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#75 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

But you are missing the point.  There is no reason why cities such as NYC, LA and such do not have average speeds of >100Mbps.  the technology is here.  and there is no reason why of our mobile Internet infrastructure is well, so 1930s.... oh wait, there is a reason, CEOs, and big brass of these companies wants to keep (horde) all of their cash instead of investing this back on their companies and yes that means their employees as well!

This is really a topic for another thread but I did want to touch on it. While I agree that modern business management is way too focused on the short term and quick return on investment the simple fact is you still have to make your money back to justify spending it. The unfortunate fact is that the incredible expense of building out the infrastructure to the home to provide 100M+ service is just not justifiable even with taking a few years to make your money back.  This is where the fact we don't have the population density even in the cities that other countries have is actually a negative fact.

My Setup

#76 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

This is really a topic for another thread but I did want to touch on it. While I agree that modern business management is way too focused on the short term and quick return on investment the simple fact is you still have to make your money back to justify spending it. The unfortunate fact is that the incredible expense of building out the infrastructure to the home to provide 100M+ service is just not justifiable even with taking a few years to make your money back.  This is where the fact we don't have the population density even in the cities that other countries have is actually a negative fact.

I understand, but when most companies report billions of $$$$ of pure profit, it should not be invested back on he CEOs but rather on the paying customers by providing better service.  I will give you an example, AT&T had the iPhone exclusivity for three years, but yet, it was Verizon who invested first to have a network, including LTE support, that can appropriate handle the iPhone.  So while AT&T survived on the backs of iPhone customers for three years, they did nothing to improve the service until Verizon came aboard

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#77 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm wondering where the next new internet technology will come from.  Are we that far away from having a wireless "cloud" based community through out towns, cities, and regions all around the country?  Will there come a day where the internet will surround you almost everywhere using some new technology like cell phone towers used to be?  And if that happens, it would not be impossible to have high speed internet access just as much in rural areas as in the cities.  We are already seeing hotspots in coffee shops, restaurants, and places like that.  All we need is someone to take that hotspot mentality and begin to design new technologies that apply that techology to whole communities.  If that happens, anything can happen from there in terms of wireless streaming for things like  tv, radio, magazines, newspapers, and the web within that community.  And whoever comes up with that technology is going to be a multi-mulit-billionaire. The explosion of technology isn't going to taper off.  It is going to keep on expanding and growing.  The sky is the limit! Who knows.  Everything appears to be heading in that direction.

Edited by Spike, 26 September 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Holy Cow! The Cubs?

#78 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,807 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Don't we sort of already have that with 4G?

#79 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Don't we sort of already have that with 4G?

Kind of, but think bigger.  Imagine.  You've just moved into your new home.  Wireless internet is part of the home already.  Here is your home's password. Now, go use it.  

Holy Cow! The Cubs?

#80 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Maybe sort of like this?

http://www.dbstalk.c...t-on-specifics/

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...