Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34-700 pixelating on locals only

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pdub45

pdub45

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationManhattan, KS

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

I've been having an issue since June where the local channels will pixelate at random for no reason. Weather is fair. No clouds or storms anywhere near. My current software is 0x740. Since getting this version last week the pixelation has been worse. I've got 20 instances in the first hour of Americas Go Talent.

Now, I've been in communication with Directv and have now been assigned a case and a case manager to follow me through the process. My issue has also been forwarded to the engineering dept because no over the phone or service call has fixed the issue.

I'm posting to see if others have the problem. If so I'm urge you to call tech support. I've asked several tech support agents if they have heard if this issue and they all seem genuine when they say no. Now, I've read several posts on here of people having the issue. So, post your issue here, but to get things fixed, Directv is telling me the need to have people call and open lines of communication so they can follow it! So people, if you have problems, call and start communication!

I've posted a video as well for those of you who are Directv tech or engineers so you can see what's going on. Keep in mind, it's on the LOCALS ONLY.

Attached Files

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

You should be posting this in the thread for you locals here then:

http://www.dbstalk.c...oadcast-issues/

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

This is entirely possible; in fact, I have seen it happen in my market.

There is a local pickup antenna or fiber hub for every local market, sometimes a combination of both. At that pickup point the locals are muxed together (subs often demuxed out) and the resulting single MPTS stream is fibered back to the DTV uplink center, where they demux, turn them around and pump them into the spotbeam uplink HPA. This means that from the pickup point to the uplink center is a common path with the potential for being a single point of failure. That is how the locals can have a common issue but the other channels can still be OK.

It is usually fixed by a quick reboot of the mux or whatever other electronics are in the path, but the tricky part (and the part that takes time) is getting someone to actually do this, which only happens if folks complain enough.

Edited by TomCat, 30 August 2013 - 08:34 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...