Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie - HR44 - Wired Ethernet for Internet Access

Genie Wired Ethernet Internet Access

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,322 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Which is (was) my thinking given that DirecTV attaches the "pig tail" to prevent mistakes.

I think you are right about that.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

I think you are right about that.

if they are indeed directional (which I think they are), having the pigtail makes it that much easier.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Use port range forwarding for "Network Services" example 27162-27163

is there any need to port forward these ports?

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44

2 x C41

4 x RVU
SWM3-LNB

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,853 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

Use port range forwarding for "Network Services" example 27162-27163

is there any need to port forward these ports?

Not for any DirecTV functionality I'm aware of. I've heard Clearwire customers might want to forward certain ports, though I'm not familiar with the reason why.

/steve

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,322 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Not for any DirecTV functionality I'm aware of. I've heard Clearwire customers might want to forward certain ports, though I'm not familiar with the reason why.

Its for their voice services, you can get your voicemail via your DIRECTV box as I recall if you live in and use their voice mail services areas.

#31 OFFLINE   altereddezignz

altereddezignz

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationARKANSAS

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

My new genie was set up for wireless b/c i didnt have a hard line connected. There was one there but tech said to never use it? Anyways it will only stay connected for a little while and disconnects. When i press the arrow button  right to look at weather app it keeps telling me no internet connection. I have 3 other wifi receives for my other tv's linking to the genie wirelessly but i would love for the genie to be hard wired since it is there already and hoping it would keep an active connection.

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,123 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

Tech told you a wrong thing. Connect the ethernet cable and that may just do it for your whole system. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

My new genie was set up for wireless b/c i didnt have a hard line connected. There was one there but tech said to never use it? Anyways it will only stay connected for a little while and disconnects. When i press the arrow button  right to look at weather app it keeps telling me no internet connection. I have 3 other wifi receives for my other tv's linking to the genie wirelessly but i would love for the genie to be hard wired since it is there already and hoping it would keep an active connection.

What are you download speeds?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

Had an HR44 installed two weeks ago and I just connected it by cat 5 to my Uverse router gateway, thats all I did and all DVRs work great

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the update and your experience! The more the merrier.....

#36 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

I have been unable to get an internet connection using ethernet  and an HR44. HR44 is only box, no whole home. Info page shows no DNS or Gateway settings. Dash page shows Internet: Never Connected.  Have spent an hour with two under trained scripted CSR's with only solution: reset internet settings and unplug ethernet cable for 30 seconds in either order. No joy either way. HR44 is connected to a switch then a Comcast router. Switch is also connected to a Roku, Bluray and Samsung Smart TV. All their internet functions work perfectly. I swapped ethernet cables with the HR44 and the Bluray to confirm ethernet cables cables are good. D rep says I should contact service provider. I am not well versed in router settings so any specific instructions/help/direction  would be much appreciated.

Just noticed this thread is a bit dated. Is there a better place to post?

Edited by drpjr, 19 July 2015 - 08:04 PM.

HR34/HR24-500/Samsung UN75F6400AF
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T U-verse NVG589 Modem/Router

#37 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

I have been unable to get an internet connection using ethernet  and an HR44. HR44 is only box, no whole home. Info page shows no DNS or Gateway settings. Dash page shows Internet: Never Connected.  Have spent an hour with two under trained scripted CSR's with only solution: reset internet settings and unplug ethernet cable for 30 seconds in either order. No joy either way. HR44 is connected to a switch then a Comcast router. Switch is also connected to a Roku, Bluray and Samsung Smart TV. All their internet functions work perfectly. I swapped ethernet cables with the HR44 and the Bluray to confirm ethernet cables cables are good. D rep says I should contact service provider. I am not well versed in router settings so any specific instructions/help/direction  would be much appreciated.

Just noticed this thread is a bit dated. Is there a better place to post?

Have you tried doing a Red Button Reset  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#38 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:21 PM

Yes. Twice. Once with an internet settings reset/ unplug ethernet cable for 30 secs before RBR, once after. Is this an issue that might require contacting Comcast? Is there any way to manually input  DNS and Gateway settings In the wireless menu set-up?

SWiM Network w/MRV

#39 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

Yes. Twice. Once with an internet settings reset/ unplug ethernet cable for 30 secs before RBR, once after. Is this an issue that might require contacting Comcast? Is there any way to manually input  DNS and Gateway settings In the wireless menu set-up?

What Router (model) & What Comcast Modem? Your Sig still shows AT&T Combo- I would suggest Looking at your (Windows) PC -Start- Search- (type) CMD - enter- at the dos prompt - Type ipconfig all (return) It will display your Curret Network settings for that pc.

Input a ipaddress and dns numbers into the HR44 - (not the same address) as the PC pick another number (any) you choose 

Example 192.168.1.50 -That would make the HR44 STATIC IP Address Which is okay. Fill in all other (PC) address the same to the HR44.

If that fails - log into your router and reboot (or) reset it to default and start again

If you have a D* CCK attached (Coax-to internet connected) Disconnect that first - when disconnected - reb button reset the hr44 and then when the TV picture comes back - connect your wired connect (RJ45) and the go to the menu and connect internet.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"
SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#40 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm still AT&T, This is for an elderly friend. No CCK.  HR44 is only unit in system. I don't have the info on the router available to me at this time. Will a reset to default on the router have any effect on the home network? (tower, 2 laptops & an iPad) I believe the iPad is the only one wireless. After reset will router reassign new #'s to everything on the network or the same as before? Not sure of any fixed IP's.

When choosing an IP address for the HR44 in the router should I avoid the PC address and the other laptops too? Or if I choose two of the same # other than the PC will the router "bump" one to an unused number? 

I'm not understanding: " Fill in all other (PC) address the same to the HR44".    Won't the other IP addresses in the network already have the same IP address except for the last .digits?     

WAG here:  In the advanced network settings in the HR44   the first two lines of the IP address are filled in. Are they valid?  Can I use the DNS and Gateway #'s from the ip config search to complete the last two lines? Apologies if that was a silly question. I'm looking to avoid a router reset. I've never reset a router and am hesitant to do it for the first time on someone else's computer. 

Edited by drpjr, 20 July 2015 - 01:48 PM.

SWiM Network w/MRV

#41 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm still AT&T, This is for an elderly friend. No CCK.  HR44 is only unit in system. I don't have the info on the router available to me at this time. Will a reset to default on the router have any effect on the home network? (tower, 2 laptops & an iPad) I believe the iPad is the only one wireless. After reset will router reassign new #'s to everything on the network or the same as before?

When choosing an IP address for the HR44 in the router should I avoid the PC address and the other laptops too? Or if I choose two of the same # other than the PC will the router "bump" one to an unused number?

I'm not understanding: " Fill in all other (PC) address the same to the HR44".    Won't the other IP addresses in the network already have the same IP address except for the last .digits?     

WAG here:  In the advanced network settings in the HR44   the first two lines of the IP address are filled in. Are they valid?  Can I use the DNS and Gateway #'s from the ip config search to complete the last two lines? Apologies if that was a silly question. I'm looking to avoid a router reset. I've never reset a router and am hesitant to do it for the first time on someone else's computer. 

Yes, factory reseting your router will cause the router to loose any information (unless you are using the default settings).  IMO, if the HR44 is not getting an IP address by the router via DHCP, setting an static IP address wont do much as what is likely the cause for the receiver not getting an IP is that the HR44 is not able to communicate with the router. I would make sure that MAC address filtering is turned off along with any sort of firewalls.  These devices are really plug n play, unless someone have made an effort to not make is so.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#42 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:58 PM

I would make sure that MAC address filtering is turned off along with any sort of firewalls.  .

That's in the PC settings, correct?

SWiM Network w/MRV

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

That's in the PC settings, correct?

no, the router.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm still AT&T, This is for an elderly friend. No CCK.  HR44 is only unit in system. I don't have the info on the router available to me at this time. Will a reset to default on the router have any effect on the home network? (tower, 2 laptops & an iPad) I believe the iPad is the only one wireless. After reset will router reassign new #'s to everything on the network or the same as before? Not sure of any fixed IP's.

Not knowing what they are ip address range on your network -I don't know

The PC setting will give you a clue or logging into the router with display the range (EXAMPLE) 192.168.1.100 -192.168.1.250

Each Device Needs it's own Ipaddress.

Gateway to your modem  (Example) 192.168.1.1.

IF the router is set to DCHP - Depending on what PC's are on the home network a Router reset should not cause a problem - If he has ever lost AC power it has reset :)

"Let's Have Some Fun!"
SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#45 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

I'd say that setting a fixed IP and/or a reservation is not a great idea. It used to be. 

Resetting the router and also rebooting the DVR is the way to go. Unplugging the ethernet cable also seems nutso. 

#46 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:38 AM

Yes, factory reseting your router will cause the router to loose any information (unless you are using the default settings).  IMO, if the HR44 is not getting an IP address by the router via DHCP, setting an static IP address wont do much as what is likely the cause for the receiver not getting an IP is that the HR44 is not able to communicate with the router. I would make sure that MAC address filtering is turned off along with any sort of firewalls.  These devices are really plug n play, unless someone have made an effort to not make is so.

I will check the MAC filtering but am not too keen on turning off someone else's router firewall not fully understanding how vulnerable it could leave his computer.

IF the router is set to DCHP - Depending on what PC's are on the home network a Router reset should not cause a problem - If he has ever lost AC power it has reset :)

I will check for IP range and DCHP setting of the router. Also if he has battery back up. I doubt he is using any fixed IP's.

I'd say that setting a fixed IP and/or a reservation is not a great idea. It used to be. 

Resetting the router and also rebooting the DVR is the way to go. Unplugging the ethernet cable also seems nutso. 

Unplugging the ethernet cable was at the behest of the two CSR's I wasted an hour talking to. Is there any order to use when resetting router and DVR?

SWiM Network w/MRV

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

I'd reset router (not necessarily factory reset) first, and when it's up and running, the DVR. 

#48 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

I will check the MAC filtering but am not too keen on turning off someone else's router firewall not fully understanding how vulnerable it could leave his computer.

the firewall suggestion was supposed to be a temporary test.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#49 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

Thanks guys. I will try the reset option first as I can walk them through it over the phone. Next up would be the temporary shut down of the firewall. It might take a few days but I will report back.

SWiM Network w/MRV

#50 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

Just curious, how many  "devices" should you see on the router if connected "wireless"? I'm seeing My HR-44 and the C51 both on my network which is fine but then there are 2 other non-network IP' showing up. Is that what I should be seeing? They are each coming off 2 DTV boxes but are showing IP's out of my range.

Dave

DTV HR44-500 (Primary)
DTV C51-500 (Secondary)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, Wired Ethernet, Internet Access

Protected By... spam firewall...And...