Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

KHBS (ABC-Fort Smith) temporarily off Dish locals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 February 2004 - 09:00 PM

Transmitter Fire Knocks KHBS-TV 40 Off Air

(Fort Smith, AR) February 9, 2004 – A small fire Friday night has knocked KHBS-TV 40 off the air. Viewers that use antennas and those that receive KHBS on DishTV have gone without a signal since that time. This outage has not affected anyone on Cox Cable or viewers that can receive KHBS-DT 21, a HDTV signal that uses a separate transmitter.

Viewers on DishTV that have been receiving KHBS will have their service restored on Tuesday morning.

A temporary low-power transmitter is being installed on Tuesday. KHBS-TV 40 will be broadcasting with a low-power signal by Tuesday night. This low-power signal will allow most viewers to receive KHBS via antenna, some viewers in outlying areas may continue to have trouble receiving KHBS.

A new full-power transmitter has been ordered and should be installed by mid March.

KHBS-TV 40’s transmitter problems started Friday afternoon. That night a small fire occurred, damaging two important components of the transmitter, when it was turned on after maintenance. Station engineers worked all weekend to repair the damaged parts. They were able to get KHBS back on the air briefly Sunday night. Shortly after the transmitter was powered up, a major component, that was damaged Friday night, failed. Preventing KHBS from broadcasting over the air until a new transmitter is received.

This transmitter problem does not affect anyone on cable or that receives KHBS-DT 21, KHOG-TV 29 or KHOG-DT 15.

Attached Files

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:34 AM

Every time these things happen, they point out the fundamentally silliness of OTA broadcasting in the 21st Century.

Cable systems don't get their locals via OTA means. They get a seperate line feed from the station. In many cases DBS is similar. Only a few hold-out get OTA TV. And the statoins couldn't care less about their signals.

The value in a TV station exists in the exclusivity rights to distribute network programming via cable and DBS, not in the transmitter.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:34 AM

You are dealing with an area called the Ozarks where often the stations have had two transmitters, not one, in order to cover the area. Dish only started offerring Fort Smith locals a few months ago, but it's probably not widely subscribed to because of the shortage of equipment. This market is also slated to be added to DirecTV in 2004.... maybe.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#4 OFFLINE   awax

awax

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:17 AM

Just about every station up here has two or more transmitters because of the terrain. NBC 24/51 ABC 40/29 CBS 5 (which I get on chan 62 or 67) Fox 46 (which I get on 4 and 64). Ft. Smith is only about 55 miles from here but the mountains make it seem like a hundred or so. Example: about half way between Fayetteville and Ft. Smith (once out of the tunnel) you can barely pick up most Fayetteville radio station but you can actually get a couple of Little Rock radio stations which is about 170 miles away.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:21 AM

Cable systems don't get their locals via OTA means. They get a seperate line feed from the station.

There are many cable systems that DO use OTA reception. If they can't get a decent signal they may move on to other means, but many more cable channels are received OTA than it may appear.

The value in a TV station exists in the exclusivity rights to distribute network programming via cable and DBS, not in the transmitter.

Many broadcast stations will go out of their way to keep their signals on cable even when their transmitter is down. No broadcast station EVER wants to go to zero viewers. That's why they have or bring in backup transmitters to get *something* on the air. They still make a lot of money off of their broadcast, and they put up a lot of money to keep good signals on the air. Its more than cable and DBS.

JL

#6 OFFLINE   homeskillet

homeskillet

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 11:13 AM

The city I live in gets their local stations OTA. The had to construct a 500' tower to just get a viewable signal from Topeka locals and they also get a few locals from Topeka and FOX from Salina. So OTA is the only way many rural cable sysems can get local stations.

Sometimes during strange weather, our local PBS station (KTWU 11-Topeka) gets over-run by South Dakota Public Television. And KSNT 27-Topeka used to sign off at night, and I would get FOX 27 from Springfield, MO on the cable system.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 February 2004 - 08:54 PM

According to my friend, the transmitter is back on-line, and should be feeding Dish again.

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:02 PM

Great, no sooner do I post the update that I'm informed that the transmitter is down again.

spam firewall