Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

8/31/13 update broke my hopper.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Bottom line, the hopper tried to download the update stopped at 70% then went into a reboot cycle. Hope its only mine that has this issue.

I've done this 3 times, unplug, wait 10 sec, plug back in, hopper reaquire's sat, download starts, download bar disappears at 70%, hopper reboots in an endless cycle. I did an online chat with Dish and they determined the hopper was defective in some way and are ups'ing another (wouldn't upgrade to hopper 2 for less than $200)

For some reason the hopper didn't go into a reboot cycle the fourth time so I can watch content, the guide doesn't have any icons and doesn't show content past what's on now. Also the DVR is wiped, all the stuff I had recorded is gone.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

What FW version on it now?

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Getting thru to DISH on phone is good indication issue is not universal.

(man that would be a bad day for everybody!)

#4 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

What FW version on it now?

S401, unplugged again, got the reacquire again, got the update bar again, went to 70% sat for a minute or so then disappeared again. Crap.

Everybody else getting the update okay?

#5 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

interesting what update you are getting ? Apps AX204 ?

#6 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

interesting what update you are getting ? Apps AX204 ?

Not sure since it hasn't gotten a chance to download. Although at the bottom of what's left of the guide there's an ad for a mobile app that I haven't seen before, says push * on the remote for info.

#7 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:44 AM

Welp, turned on the hopper this morning and its as if there was never a problem, all the stuff I had recorded is back. With the exception of the content that would have normally been recorded Saturday night.

Is there a way to move the stuff from this hopper to the one that's being shipped when it gets here?

#8 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

sure, use EHD; prepare for long trip as it doing slow

other tidbit for you: transfer schedules/timers via remote control

#9 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

sure, use EHD; prepare for long trip as it doing slow

other tidbit for you: transfer schedules/timers via remote control

That sounds great, thanks for the tips!

Eh, strange no one else saw any kind of update.

Edited by productofusa, 02 September 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#10 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

the problem is System Info screen has the provision to show Application Version, so anyone would knows what apps version he is running, but there is a bug - nothing in there :(

while I'm posting FW updates' info include the app version

so, like you , if it come to updates, ppl have no clue why ? what ? it's happening

Edited by P Smith, 02 September 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

What's more mysterious; an update croaking a receiver, or a subsequent miracle cure ??

Wonder if productofusa inadvertently had someone in the house accidentally rub cheetah blood on the receiver and that fixed it ? 

!rolling

Anyhow, VERY glad to hear it's working (even if nobody here came up with a fix) and keeping all the recordings is esepically good news!

#12 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

It was suppose to be a favorite list memory fix. Made that problem worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

I have heard of scenarios where you can interrupt an update in progress... and you might not know it OR if it was stuck in a reboot-cycle and you had to do it... but anyway, upon that first boot up I have heard of temporary corruption where all the recordings are gone and a bunch of other stuff.

From what I remember, a hard reset (red button or power plug pull) would bring things back to normal... but another nightly update might do the trick as well.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#14 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

application version not being there isn't a bug

• P Smith likes this

#15 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

perhaps (instead of hear-say) you should bring System Info screen and make the fact is straight

#16 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

sure, use EHD

Is this as easy as, plug new hopper in, connect USB cable between the two hoppers, select external hard drive in main menu, transfer from/to hopper/hopper? Everything I'm seeing online assumes I'm transferring from hopper to EHD, any links that are a little more clear on this would be fantastic, or even a comment or two would be much appreciated.

I know this isn't particularly difficult but given the issues this hopper seems to be having I really don't want to chance it.

Edit/ Zach S at Dish support forums says hopper--->hopper isn't possible, it appears from his link

http://www.mydish.co...?WT.svl=leftnav

That I need to go hopper--->EHD--->hopper. Has this been everyone else's experience? Seems strange I can't go hopper--->hopper, anybody? Both my available hdd's are busy doing other things, its not like I keep a spare around for just in case purposes.

Edited by productofusa, 05 September 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

perhaps (instead of hear-say) you should bring System Info screen and make the fact is straight

What? I will be willing to bet that no one here sees a app version on system info but instead its blank.

• P Smith likes this

#18 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Is this as easy as, plug new hopper in, connect USB cable between the two hoppers, select external hard drive in main menu, transfer from/to hopper/hopper? Everything I'm seeing online assumes I'm transferring from hopper to EHD, any links that are a little more clear on this would be fantastic, or even a comment or two would be much appreciated.

I know this isn't particularly difficult but given the issues this hopper seems to be having I really don't want to chance it.

Edit/ Zach S at Dish support forums says hopper--->hopper isn't possible, it appears from his link

http://www.mydish.co...?WT.svl=leftnav

That I need to go hopper--->EHD--->hopper. Has this been everyone else's experience? Seems strange I can't go hopper--->hopper, anybody? Both my available hdd's are busy doing other things, its not like I keep a spare around for just in case purposes.

Yes you need to go Hopper to EHD to Hopper. You may want to buy a cheap 1TB drive for this purpose. Hopper will format any new EHD hooked up for the first time, so your current EHD's would lose what ever information you had on them. I have been using a 1TB WD drive since I had a 622. Just moved it to the Hopper when I had Hopper installed. No formatting necessary in that case.

#19 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

Yes you need to go Hopper to EHD to Hopper. You may want to buy a cheap 1TB drive for this purpose. Hopper will format any new EHD hooked up for the first time, so your current EHD's would lose what ever information you had on them. I have been using a 1TB WD drive since I had a 622. Just moved it to the Hopper when I had Hopper installed. No formatting necessary in that case.

Crap...OK thanks for the confirmation.

#20 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

@ someguy

you better keep conversation and  not lose it hanging on just a few words from last post, geese - post#10 is it news for you ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...