Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

8/31/13 update broke my hopper.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I said what because its extremely difficult to understand anything you say.

"perhaps (instead of hear-say) you should bring System Info screen and make the fact is straight"

Can you clarify what that means? Bring system info screen? You want me to take a screen shot so my facts are straight?

• P Smith likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

OK. Let me say again one simple phrase: [re]read post #10.

#23 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

Post 10, you say its a bug? I say its not a bug...is that what you are saying? Again, you make very little sense.

• P Smith likes this

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Let me jump in here for a second...

P Smith is right here... there definitely is a bug or a glitch or something wrong.

There is a place "Application software" on the screen where all the other system version/info is given... but this field is blank... so there HAS to be a bug here... though, it could be debated what that bug is:

1. Version info should be here for application software, but it is not.  i.e. the bug P Smith is talking about.

2. The label "Application software" should be removed, it is erroneous text on a screen that they never intend to show the version info.

Either way... there is a bug... but this back-and forth is taking the thread off-topic... so maybe you guys can take that discussion to PM, please.

Back to topic now...

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#25 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

FYI...  please attack the topic and not the posters... thanks.

#26 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

Back to topic now...

... there definitely is a bug or a glitch or something wrong.

Above statement pretty much describes my last week with Dish. Whoever it is that writes the code, updates, ect, for these Dish devices really leaves a lot to be desired. Get another job your qualified for! And Dish, if you really want to compete in the cable tv/satellite TV industry get your act together and provide us with a decent user experience!

I now own a 2T WD essentials EHD that I neither want, nor need at $125USD (although I really like WD). I gotta say that even trying to move recorded content from hopper1 over to the ehd was a frustrating adventure wrought with error messages, do overs, and out of date how to's on Dish's website. How do normal people with no tech background navigate through this?

I understand that to some extent the consumer is going to have to jump through hoops to relax and enjoy the technology that we all enjoy on a daily basis, but for Christ sake try to keep it to a minimum and design your crap so we don't get run through a ringer when your lack of quality control decides to burp.

I vote with my checkbook, and don't hesitate to tell everyone I know what works and what doesn't. So there! Lol

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Above statement pretty much describes my last week with Dish. Whoever it is that writes the code, updates, ect, for these Dish devices really leaves a lot to be desired. Get another job your qualified for!

As far as I can tell you're the only person who suffered from the glitch ... the one where the receiver hung on a download and cycled until the download eventually completed. So the anonymous coders you are insulting did fairly well.

The decision to change receivers is out of "an abundance of caution" just in case your receiver has a personal problem that could hang on a future download. Transferring all programs from one Hopper to another is not trivial ... but at least it is possible. I remember when all recordings were lost when changing out receivers ... that still happens with other providers. (For example: External drive transfer, if allowed at all, is limited to the receiver with no transfers to any other receiver even if it is on the same account. DISH does not have that limit.)

Issues happen ... I'm glad your download issue was an isolated glitch and not thousands of receivers. I'm glad that external transfer between receivers is possible.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

I have always found transferring the hard drive in smaller chunks reather than the whole thing goes a lot smoother.  Sounds like you may have bigger problems though.

#29 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have always found transferring the hard drive in smaller chunks reather than the whole thing goes a lot smoother.  Sounds like you may have bigger problems though.

Yeah I figured that out, I did however have an 18 hr transfer that seems to have worked fine then a couple smaller transfers.

It was all pretty pointless though because when I got hopper2 setup and authorized I plugged the EHD into it clicked menu-->EHD-->Transfer From, only to get an 866, error which is along the lines of this ehd can only be used with one account at a time so if you'd like to use it with this hopper we're gonna format it first. :headbangsmiley:

Bottom line, after spending time on the phone with advanced tech support, they're aware of this issue and hope to have it corrected in the near future, sorry. I ended up sending hopper2 back and reauthorizing hopper1 which seems to be working fine now.

When I first got the hopper/joey sat TV system I was warned that it was a new and not completely tested system (about a year ago) so I suppose this is what I get for living on the cutting edge.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

You should have been able to talk to a CSR at Dish and get them to send another authorization hit to your receiver and get the EHD working with it.  Sometimes the system doesn't authorize properly and needs to be redone.

#31 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

I would have made sure that your original Hopper was still active. Most likely they disabled your old one and hooked up the new one so the old one was no longer "on" the account, hence the 866 message.

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yeah I figured that out, I did however have an 18 hr transfer that seems to have worked fine then a couple smaller transfers.

It was all pretty pointless though because when I got hopper2 setup and authorized I plugged the EHD into it clicked menu-->EHD-->Transfer From, only to get an 866, error which is along the lines of this ehd can only be used with one account at a time so if you'd like to use it with this hopper we're gonna format it first. :headbangsmiley:

Bottom line, after spending time on the phone with advanced tech support, they're aware of this issue and hope to have it corrected in the near future, sorry. I ended up sending hopper2 back and reauthorizing hopper1 which seems to be working fine now.

When I first got the hopper/joey sat TV system I was warned that it was a new and not completely tested system (about a year ago) so I suppose this is what I get for living on the cutting edge.

it would help to understand the issue, if you will provide a text from that window with Error#866; the number is not self explaining

#33 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

You should have been able to talk to a CSR at Dish and get them to send another authorization hit to your receiver and get the EHD working with it. Sometimes the system doesn't authorize properly and needs to be redone.

It appears after some googling that your correct in that someone has been successful with reauthorizing the account. I wish I had googled/known that at the time as the (elevated) tech support guy apparently didn't have a clue this was possible. His comment was that they (Dish) had seen this exact same situation some 67 times before and a fix was scheduled for a future update. Anyhow, I had a work around at the time that so far seems to be working. The whole thing is just messy, time consuming, and expensive for no good reason.

Thanks for your help though, next time I'll bypass Dish tech support and come here first.

it would help to understand the issue, if you will provide a text from that window with Error#866; the number is not self explaining

yUTZtof.jpg

Edited by productofusa, 11 September 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the picture.

Seems to me the DVR has been DE-authorized, ie no long active.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...