Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Option to view the show from the start

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Does anyone know the criteria that the software uses in deciding to offer the viewer the option of going back to the start of a show when you change the channel? I notice that sometimes when I change a channel I am offered the option, and sometimes I am not.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,024 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

I think if a tuner was on the channel or if it's recording.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Correct

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

basically one of the 5 tuners of the Genie must be on that channel. for example a client on channel 206 and you are on the Genie and turn to channel 206 you will have access to the buffer since the client turn to that channel

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Directv should implement a Start Over feature just for the Prime Networks (abc,cbs,fox,nbc) for when the fall tv season kicks in.

You never know when you get in late from work one day and did not set up a recording and the show you desperately wanted to watch is already 15 minutes in.

You either have to pray that Genie recommends picked it up or watch it on demand two weeks later.If it was on Fox your screwed due to no On Demand.

Anyway, just a cool feature that cable has that I wish D* implemented.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#6 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I don't know of a single DVR other than the hopper that automatically records every primetime series. I think cable is just using on demand. And I'm not sure Many of them even have that while a show is on. Which cable company has that that you know of?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

I don't know of a single DVR other than the hopper that automatically records every primetime series. I think cable is just using on demand. And I'm not sure Many of them even have that while a show is on. Which cable company has that that you know of?

Brighthouse of Orlando has Start Over feature as well as a Look Back feature for up to 3 Days back on many of the popular shows.

Also they have Next Day Air on all the Prime Time Networks including Fox On Demand.

Their only shortcomings is,HD channels are getting overly compressed due to cramming of SDV and their STB's are cheesy.

http://applications....com/start-over/

Edited by JohnBoy, 31 August 2013 - 12:27 PM.

1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Directv should implement a Start Over feature just for the Prime Networks (abc,cbs,fox,nbc) for when the fall tv season kicks in.

You never know when you get in late from work one day and did not set up a recording and the show you desperately wanted to watch is already 15 minutes in.

You either have to pray that Genie recommends picked it up or watch it on demand two weeks later.If it was on Fox your screwed due to no On Demand.

Anyway, just a cool feature that cable has that I wish D* implemented.

If you "desperately" wanted to watch it you've set a recording.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

If you "desperately" wanted to watch it you've set a recording.

Nothing wrong with wanting your tv service provider to implement New features unless you like to be content and be stuck in cave man days....

Switch the Bucs helmet to a Bills helmet.It will help you think more clearly... :grin:

1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Nothing wrong with wanting your tv service provider to implement New features unless you like to be content and be stuck in cave man days....

Switch the Bucs helmet to a Bills helmet.It will help you think more clearly... :grin:

As long as those "new features" don't slow other things down and get in the way, no.  "Record everything" is hardly a function I'd call "new" nor is it something I'd want slowing down my DVRs.  If you miss something you "desperately" wanted to see then you weren't that desperate and it's your own fault.

Bills? You mean Southern Canada? uhhh, no thanks. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I just came across this fare on my Genie last night... Pretty neat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DBSTalk mobile app

#12 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Brighthouse of Orlando has Start Over feature as well as a Look Back feature for up to 3 Days back on many of the popular shows.

Also they have Next Day Air on all the Prime Time Networks including Fox On Demand.

Their only shortcomings is,HD channels are getting overly compressed due to cramming of SDV and their STB's are cheesy.

Again, that all sounds like n demand stuff. You mean to tell me your actual DVR at your hose records all shows?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#13 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Again, that all sounds like n demand stuff. You mean to tell me your actual DVR at your hose records all shows?

Brighthouse is doing it on their end.

Their 2 tuner stb's are still fully available to be used by the customer.

The link says it loud and clear how the features work.

Read it more slowly in case it went over your head the first time... :hair:

1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#14 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Brighthouse of Orlando has Start Over feature as well as a Look Back feature for up to 3 Days back on many of the popular shows.

Time Warner in NC does this, too. They don't need the Hopper's prime time recording because they have all of the channels on demand. In HD. 

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#15 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

No need to be rude, I said in the first place, your asking for the genie to do something another companies is doing, but they aren't doing it in their DVR they are doing it via on demand,so the genie still does far more than their competitors DVRs.

As for the on deamnd being available that fast, that's all about contracts and such. I have the impression we will see it with FOX soon... For all their programing on all their channels streaming and in full Hi Definition. We will see.

DIRECTV has what appears to be e infrastructure to do what the other systems are doing, they just don't have all the content just yet. All one has to do is look at show time and HBO on deamnd systems, as well as streaming systems for iPads etc....

#16 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

No need to be rude, I said in the first place, your asking for the genie to do something another companies is doing, but they aren't doing it in their DVR they are doing it via on demand,so the genie still does far more than their competitors DVRs.

As for the on deamnd being available that fast, that's all about contracts and such. I have the impression we will see it with FOX soon... For all their programing on all their channels streaming and in full Hi Definition. We will see.

DIRECTV has what appears to be e infrastructure to do what the other systems are doing, they just don't have all the content just yet. All one has to do is look at show time and HBO on deamnd systems, as well as streaming systems for iPads etc....

I apologize if I sounded rude,thats why I placed the emoticon at the end to say I was just saying it in jest.

Also Brighthouse non DVR's their regular HD stb can do Start Over and Look Back so its definetely at the headend.

Have you heard anything about Fox On Demand coming?

It would be nice if it finally gets added.

1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

When Time Warner started this locally, they said it not only depended on Channel, but show. So one might be available, but not for the next show on. They actually had a listing of compatible shows. If that's still the case, it wouldn't be as useful as it could be.

#18 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

I apologize if I sounded rude,thats why I placed the emoticon at the end to say I was just saying it in jest.

Also Brighthouse non DVR's their regular HD stb can do Start Over and Look Back so its definetely at the headend.

Have you heard anything about Fox On Demand coming?

It would be nice if it finally gets added.

No worries. And yes FOX on demand app for stream And such is coming soon. It was
Mentioned during the talks about FOX sports channels and they said it just wasn't quite perfected yet but will include all their channels. Not sure what it will actually do but it should do a lot in theory. Now it sounded to me like an app for iPads etc. so who knows how long it might take DIRECTV on demand to show the same or if it will but I would imagine it will eventually mirror it like hbo does. That's just me speculating because the info was vague on what platforms this was going to work on.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Primetime-missing-shows-fix

Genie Only

If one is worried about missing a fabulous prime time show, one can set up a Series Link for three or four networks. Just set a link to record whatever's on at whatever you deem to be the start of prime time, and add three hours to it. Also set to keep only one show so you don't fill the DVR right away. 

I won't be doing this, but for the forgetful, this could help. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Primetime-missing-shows-fix

Genie Only

If one is worried about missing a fabulous prime time show, one can set up a Series Link for three or four networks. Just set a link to record whatever's on at whatever you deem to be the start of prime time, and add three hours to it. Also set to keep only one show so you don't fill the DVR right away. 

I won't be doing this, but for the forgetful, this could help. 

This is fine for the Hermit that lives alone but for a household of 5 people such as mine and at least 3-4 tuners are on live tv leaving only one or two tuners for possible recordings,what other options do you have?

And no I cant add another dvr to add more tuners unless you can help with my bill. :smoking:

1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

Protected By... spam firewall...And...