Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Scoreguide/Scoreguide2, DirecTV Programmers going Wacky?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Don't know if anybody else has seen this, I searched around the forums and didn't find anything except all the way back to the start of the Baseball season... so...

All my DVR's (2ea HR20-100's, and a 'new' HR22 that came to me as a replacement about 6 months ago for my old HR20-700 that finally 'bit the dust') have gotten several (I think I'm up to at least 3 so far on the HR22, maybe only 2 on the HR20-100's) s/w upgrades in the last 10 days or so. 

The first one, the term 'Scoreguide 2' came up, and the guide was in full HD regalia, with all kinds of 'new' ways to slice and dice the guide (not just sports/baseball leagues and such, but games past, games 'live', and games to come, and such). But sometimes it wouldn't quite operate, or get 'wacky'.

Now, that 'new' HR22 is in my living room along with an old H20-100 (which is really my 'main' viewing receiver as it is lightning fast compared to the past and somewhat current crop of DVR's, HR24 notwithstanding) and of course it gets 'updates' about once a millennium. 

But the HR22 seemed not to know that it needed to 'stick' with Scoreguide2.  Every once in a while it 'reverts' to Scoreguide1, then switches back.

Now, a couple days after the first software d/l, I get another (on the HR22).  I don't think on the HR20-100's (which are in bedrooms, btw), and they weren't doing the back and forth thing that much, but when I went to ESPN and the like they would do it if I 'beat' on it (going back and forth channel to channel and the like).

Then I get another s/w download a few days later.  It seemed (on the HR22) that everything reverted to Scoreguide1... then every once in a while, Scoreguide2 would come up, doesn't seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason to when.  A lot of the time, I can't get EITHER of the scoreguides to come up, and I have to 'flip' back to like the MIX channel then back to the game channel to give it a 'kick' to work.

Of course, throughout this, the olde H20-100 sits there mostly laughing, doing only Scoreguide1 but pretty much solid as a rock.  I wish (if I was really into this) I'd spend more time on the HR20-100's in the bedrooms, but I like to get two games (with Scoreguide1/2/whatever if it'll let me) on my big flatscreen in the living room. 

I'm wondering if anyone out there has seen all this machinations going on...?  Honestly, the Scoreguide2 looks like a fair idea, although in my setup (even with a 60" screen) and a PIP set for as large as it does (Samsung), the Scoreguide2 is a little small and the bases (yes, it has bases!) colors need to be tweaked as it's hard to tell the difference between 'white' (no one on base) and 'yellow' (on base), and they still haven't found a way (apparently) to be able to shift the 'guide' around the screen, and too many sports tv outlets use the lower right part of the screen for game information.

Well, this has comment has gone on far enough, I thought that some other Baseball fan(atic) out there would have seen this.  They do such a really great job on the system for Golf and for the Tennis matches (now going on) that upgrading the Scoreguide system for Baseball would be 'nice'.

Just don't really know what they are really doing, and it if will be able to 'toggle' between the two or what.

Really, anyone out there see this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Looks to me like there in the midst of deploying a new and improved score guide. Mine had been weird all day only working here and there then all of a sudden the new fancy one showed up, I like it. Does seem odd it would happen over the weekend but, eh, whatever.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#3 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

For at least the last 2 days, my score guide has been going back and forth from the old score guide to the new score guide to not working at all. 

I don't think it has anything to do with software updates because the last update on my HR44 was 8/16, and the last update on the HR24 was 8/20. 

Up to now, when the new score guide has been working it has taken quite a while for it to load.  Once they have worked out the bugs with the new score guide, I sure hope it doesn't take as long to load as it has been taking so far.  While the added information available, including past scores, future games, and standings is nice, if it is going to continue to take so long to load, I'd be happier with the old guide.  When I use the score guide, it is to get quick information about a game in progress, and, if I have to, I'd rather go to the computer to get standings, past scores, and future schedules than having to wait for a more detailed guide to load. 

#4 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

For at least the last 2 days, my score guide has been going back and forth from the old score guide to the new score guide to not working at all.

Yep, with like I said, doesn't see to be any 'rhyme or reason' as to which 'comes up'.

I"m kinda surprised it's taking a long time on those 'newer super-fast' boxes!  The Socreguide1 takes a second or so, and the SG2 takes about 2-3, even on the HR22.  It's about the same on the HR20-100.  Definitely not to the point of 'waiting... waiting..' by any means.  Perhaps some of the routines are using code that the newer HR's are using for something else as well, so it bogs down a bit more when trying to 'initialize'.  Who knows.  

Like I said, I think whoever is doing this needs to see it on a smaller screen size (like a 14" or smaller) and see how well it looks to the 'untrained' eye.  Everything tends to look just fine on a super-size screen...

Well, at least other folks are seeing what I am, so it's not 'another dimension' crawling into my ball games!

#5 OFFLINE   sd72667

sd72667

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I've had the same issue today with the scoreguide. It was in HD. Now it's back to SD. When it was HD, the receiver became sluggish. It seems there are bugs to work out.

#6 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

For me, the HD TV Apps are much snappier this morning, both on HR44 and HR24 (basically the same as v1 speed on HR24).

Still no customization, so maybe that's coming down the pipe soon.

#7 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Just to add to the mix....My HR21(5+ years old and as slow as ever) sometimes gets v2 sometimes v1. Absolutely no rhyme or reason. This has been going on for a few months now. HD apps are nice but wish they were customizable.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#8 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Still no customization, so maybe that's coming down the pipe soon.

Yea, I sent complaint to customer service regarding this.  I know its just a feature but the old My TVAPPS was great.  I could track "My Teams" without having to dig through scores of sports I don't like or give a hoot about.

#9 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

It's still doing everything that everyone has mentioned (on my HR20.100's and HR22-100/refurb except for my old H20-100 which is getting only ScoreGuide1.0 but is solid as a rock).

Biggest downfall is that if you go to another channel, it 'looses' where you were in ScoreGuide2 so you have to plow through all the menus to get to where you want to display.

Obviously, little if any though was given to the 'design' of this, or how it would operate in the 'real' world.  Luckily, neither the NFL (or other sporting events other than Baseball) use the ScoreGuide system but have their 'own' system.  Everytime I think about upgrading to one of the newer DVR's and replacing my old H20, it's things like this that make me re-think doing that. 

#10 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

And as of today, both ScoreGuide1 and ScoreGuide2 (whichever decides to come up on your machine) is no longer available. Folks might also notice that on the 'mix' channel (MLB for today) one can no longer 'toggle' between games.

Maybe they're 'working on it', but apparently they don't realize that it's the end of the season with tons of races being decided as I type this.  

Get your act together, DirecTV; start issuing pink slips!

#11 OFFLINE   highheater

highheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Just lost the Scoreguide completely today. Quite the nice touch with a million football and baseball games on. Another Direct TV one step forward, two steps back. Can't wait to see how slow Scoreguide 2 will be. Hopefully shorter than the 5 second channel changes.

#12 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

I wish they'd just get rid of all the extras (TV Apps, scorewhatever, etc) that waste bandwidth and slows it all down. I am shocked that people use all these features, they are so slow and unreliable. The Genie software is so fickle and unstable as it is, why make it worse? League/team website have this information in real time and it actually works. What am I missing?

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#13 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

What am I missing?

Well, like a lot of folks (or maybe not?!) I can 'work' on my computer while watching the 'big screen' (w/PIP).  Or, yank on mr. smartphone to get all the scores and stuff.  But it means 'juggling' multiple devices at once, it's almost like trying to drive a car and phone/text at the same time... there have been some 'near misses' right from my barca-lounger and my living room floor upon occasion!  Yikes!

Yes, the ScoreGuide2 was pretty slow, on 'standard' DVR's (HR22-100/HR20-100's) and of course it never appeared on my 'fastest' machine, ye 0lde H20-100.

I'll 'assume' that come tomorrow AM, the score system for the football games (including the 'mix' channel) will operate as it should.  Right.  It's bad enough I went out today to gather up 'football goodies' from the local emporiums, which were out of about everything I needed.  The managers there haven't quite caught on to the fact it's football season yet.

#14 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

I've used ScoreGuide all day...no issues here...Just sayin...

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#15 OFFLINE   highheater

highheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

I wish they'd just get rid of all the extras (TV Apps, scorewhatever, etc) that waste bandwidth and slows it all down. I am shocked that people use all these features, they are so slow and unreliable. The Genie software is so fickle and unstable as it is, why make it worse? League/team website have this information in real time and it actually works. What am I missing?

What you are missing is that the Scoreguide is the quickest way to find the channel that has a particular game.

#16 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

It was 'turned on' about 30-45min ago.  You're right about 'which channel', otherwise one has to pull up the website listing (on computer or smartphone). 

All 4 machines here were 'dead' from 1pm games onward.  Even tried rebooting one of them (the HR22.100) just for kicks, didn't work.  The past few days I've noticed that I'd get the 'Scoreguide' logo thing, like one would get if the set had been rebooted and then 'tuned' to a Scoreguide 'enabled' channel, 2-3 times a day at random, like DirecTV was yanking it down then back up again.

Like I said, one can 'juggle' all these 'devices' to one's peril at times.  Keep it where it belongs, up on the 'big screen'.

#17 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

There is a better way to find games, but I get scolded for mentioning it.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#18 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

After several days (or a week or more) of 'fooling around' with the programming of this 'feature', I'll take a guess that DirecTV is 'done' with it (the programming still hasn't 'flowed down' to the older/lesser STB's like the H20's and such); but that may be a GOOD THING as it implementation of 'ScoreGuide2.0' is such a disaster.

I'll bring up just one thing that is so simple, it gives one some insight into both the programmers working on this, and the administrators supposedly in charge of the 'effort'.

The original scoreguide 'remembered' where one 'was' in the 'system', i.e., if one say had the Scoreguide on the Yankees game score, then if one changed channels (either to a Scoreguide enabled channels or not), then changed back to a Scoreguide enabled channel (either the original game one was watching or another, made no difference), the 'system' remember what score you had up.  Simple.  No need to grind through the menus to re-find the game score, it was simply 'there'.

The H20 receiver systems Scoreguide1 still operates that way (Thank the maker).  With Scoreguide2, one has to REPLOW down through all the menus of the 'system' to find the game/score one wanted to display, and many keystrokes later, you might be back where you started.

Now, This is so simple, why was it 'missed' by this supposedly intelligent programmers and managers...?  This is just simple too simple to have been missed by anyone who cares. 

I could get into the fact that ScoreGuide2.0 'disappears'  scores in the middle of a game (apparently as games end that are 'higher' in the Scoreguide2 que, the que changes and the game score you have displayed changes (on it's own).  This effect might be a bit harder to explain or 'fix', but the fact that the system no longer 'remembers' where it was at when you change channels is a much bigger problem. 

It renders the thing basically useless.  Nobody who actually uses this could have 'signed off' on way it now operates, unless they are really, really, ******. 

Edited by 1948GG, 17 September 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

H20s cant do any HD GUI so they will not get 2.0  I think it will be worked on and inproved on.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#20 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

From the middle (or end depending) of October, they'll have MONTHS to work on this until the Baseball season starts up again in April.  Either they can't read, can't read a calendar, can't add 1+1, or any of a number foolish things.  Either that, or they like to poke their customers with a hot poker every once in a while just fer fun.

I'm sure that there are lots of folks who have come and gone on this forum that came to that last conclusion over the years. 

Edited by 1948GG, 17 September 2013 - 11:10 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...