Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

chann 214, obsolete receiver message

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

I tune to channel 214 and get the message, "your receiver is obsolete and will soon need to be replaced, please call dtv" etc etc.  I know my receiver is old, like from the year 2000, but when can I expect it to no longer work?  Pretty sure its an RCA box w/ no rec. id, just a card id.  If they are replacing it/upgrading it/ what can i expect are my FREE options for upgrade, as I do have a couple of these receviers still on my account (3 I think).  And will the 'replacement' be an HD or SD recvr, an will it be a leased box?  I'm assuming a lease since DTV doenst do 'owned' anymore.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

If you have been a customer since 2000, I expect you will get upgraded for free.  If you threaten to cancel, most likely you could get not only HD receivers, but some free programming and discounts for a period of time. 

It's only tv!

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

The "Master Program Guide" (MPG) those older boxes rely upon to operate is soon to be discontinued and removed from the satellite stream causing these boxes to cease functioning.

You should be upgraded with free D12 SD receivers in a "like-for-like" exchange program setup for this issue. However, if you use this opportunity to upgrade to something more like HD equipment (a "non-like" exchange) there will be a cost of course unless you can arrange for a deal or some other.      

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,618 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

and if you go for the upgrade or "not like for like" approach there will be a 24 month commitment.  if you do 'like for like" there is no contract 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:13 AM

If your using one of those RCA receivers, your also probably using a round dish. That isn't compatible with HD receivers. A newer oval dish with multi LNB's would have to be installed.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Here's a relevant thread from May.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ceiver-upgrade/

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

You'll get a D12 or (if you're in an MPEG4 market) an H24.

Most likely a D12. Whatever you receive will work with your old dish. And it will be leased.

Edited by JBv, 04 September 2013 - 09:30 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Don't need the Dish upgrade.  Have 1 HD DVR already, as well as an old SD Tivo, plus these 3 RCA's.  HD 5-LNB slimline (although in the DC Market, you only need the 3-LNB), w/ a Zinwell multiswitch.  I guess i'll letcha know what happens w/ the "upgrade".

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#9 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

Dude, upgrade your stuff. Seriously. This legacy equipment is wasting bandwidth that could be repurposed if outdated equipment were no longer in use.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#10 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Oh no, this is not good news. I have one of those old RCA receivers in my motorhome. I only activate it every once in a great while when I take the motorhome out.

This means I'll need to replace that receiver, and as far as I know, the satellite system in that motorhome only works with old receivers (it connects with a phone cord to communicate with the receiver so it can automatically rotate the dish to find the satellite).

#11 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Oh no, this is not good news. I have one of those old RCA receivers in my motorhome. I only activate it every once in a great while when I take the motorhome out.

This means I'll need to replace that receiver, and as far as I know, the satellite system in that motorhome only works with old receivers (it connects with a phone cord to communicate with the receiver so it can automatically rotate the dish to find the satellite).

Contact the manufacture of your dish to find out if they have an adapter to work with newer receivers for your dish. They will try and push newer dish on you but if you push back enough they should relent and give you the infformation. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#12 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Dude, upgrade your stuff. Seriously. This legacy equipment is wasting bandwidth that could be repurposed if outdated equipment were no longer in use.

Moving to all mpeg 4 will take years and him alone upgrading is meaningless just for that reason in all honesty. Until DIRECTV pushes everyone to genies it's not something to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
  • Dude111 likes this

#13 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,073 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

What does pushing everyone to Genies have to do with moving to MPEG4? Only SD equipment would be affected by that, all the HD receivers/DVRs do MPEG4. Someone with only HD receivers and DVRs, even old stuff like H20/HR20, wouldn't even notice if all MPEG2 channels were converted to MPEG4 tomorrow.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#14 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

What does pushing everyone to Genies have to do with moving to MPEG4? Only SD equipment would be affected by that, all the HD receivers/DVRs do MPEG4. Someone with only HD receivers and DVRs, even old stuff like H20/HR20, wouldn't even notice if all MPEG2 channels were converted to MPEG4 tomorrow.

I didn't put it in detail, but that was my point push all non MPEG4 people to genies.  Genies is what Directv wants to install over anything else when possible for everyone. Thats the only reason I mentioned genies.  It will be a long process regardless to phase out all non mpeg4 capable boxes..

#15 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

You get a reconditioned D12 SD receiver.  There is no commitment (or extension of an existing one).  There is no charge of any kind.  The new receiver is leased so forget about activating and deactivating it periodically.  If you deactivate it, they will want it back.

One thing to remember-be sure you INSIST on what they refer to as an "MPG swap".  An uninformed CSR tried to explain to me that there would be a charge and commitment until I explained that I wanted an MPG swap which they grudgingly looked up.  After you complete the transaction but before you activate the replacement receiver check on the website under "orders" and BE SURE it says "MPG Swap".

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#16 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

LOL that is pretty messed up when the channel is even telling you "yo man yo *** is old"

since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#17 OFFLINE   davidgcet

davidgcet

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I've got an OLD Phillips I think it is a dr430, that I have had since 2002. It was the first D RX I ever bought and the darn thing works just great, can't seem to kill it. When it does finally die, or D decides it is too old i'll just get another genie mini and finally be able to get rid of my 2nd dish. LOL

#18 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

I've got an OLD Phillips I think it is a dr430, that I have had since 2002. It was the first D RX I ever bought and the darn thing works just great, can't seem to kill it. When it does finally die, or D decides it is too old i'll just get another genie mini and finally be able to get rid of my 2nd dish. LOL

Or just call and see if they upgrade you for free for that unit, since it sounds like you want to anyway.

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

Unless he just wants to go HD with the mini client plus get rid of the second dish.

I personally like that idea.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#20 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

Older stuff IS MUCH BETTER .. Its more basic,does what it does BETTER and its stupid to part with it!

I will keep my RCA as long as I can...

Think about this before you give up your box: IF THIS WAS A LEGIT UPGRADE WITH NO GAIN ON THIER PART,THEY WOULD JUST AUTOMATICALLY SEND ALL CUSTOMERS NEW BOXS!!!!! (WITHOUT THE NEED TO CONSENT)

THEY WANT ALL CUSTOMERS TO CONSENT TO LEASING THIER BOXS WHICH BRINGS IN MORE $$$$$ FOR THEM!! -- Do you willingly want to pay more for the same crap??
  • mikeissurreal likes this

spam firewall