Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

chann 214, obsolete receiver message

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

You pay $6 per additional receiver and the 1st receiver is included in your base package whether you own or lease, they make no more money on those.  You couldn't pay me for going back to the old stuff.  Check your facts before you post mis-information.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,198 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Older stuff IS MUCH BETTER .. Its more basic,does what it does BETTER and its stupid to part with it!

I will keep my RCA as long as I can...

Think about this before you give up your box: IF THIS WAS A LEGIT UPGRADE WITH NO GAIN ON THIER PART,THEY WOULD JUST AUTOMATICALLY SEND ALL CUSTOMERS NEW BOXS!!!!! (WITHOUT THE NEED TO CONSENT)

THEY WANT ALL CUSTOMERS TO CONSENT TO LEASING THIER BOXS WHICH BRINGS IN MORE $$$$$ FOR THEM!! -- Do you willingly want to pay more for the same crap??

The cost they make is identical between old stuff and new stuff. The price doesn't increase for the upgrade.  Don't know why you think it does.

They only get more if you upgrade to hd and or dvr as well as newer equipment.

And they are sending out new equipment free of charge no strings attached to those with the older units that dont accept the proper guide data, so they can make system wide upgrades.  They will eventually do this for all subs to mpeg4 equipment as well, but there's so many boxes out there now that it would be cost prohibitive to do it right now.

#23 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

They are getting desperate!!!

Sent a letter to our house "IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT YOUR EQUIPMENT"

I knew what it was but I read it and I stopped reading when i saw this

What are some of the benefits of upgrading?

FASTER PERFORMANCE biggrin_upper.gif

Tore it up and threw it out!!!!!!

NOTHING THEY HAVE COMES ANYWHERE NEAR MY RCA!!!!!!! -- They wanna take my box,they will lose me as a long time customer!!!!!!

#24 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

Older stuff IS MUCH BETTER .. Its more basic,does what it does BETTER and its stupid to part with it!

I will keep my RCA as long as I can...

Think about this before you give up your box: IF THIS WAS A LEGIT UPGRADE WITH NO GAIN ON THIER PART,THEY WOULD JUST AUTOMATICALLY SEND ALL CUSTOMERS NEW BOXS!!!!! (WITHOUT THE NEED TO CONSENT)

THEY WANT ALL CUSTOMERS TO CONSENT TO LEASING THIER BOXS WHICH BRINGS IN MORE $$$$$ FOR THEM!! -- Do you willingly want to pay more for the same crap??

That last sentence is completely incorrect.  You will not pay one cent more if you replaced your RCA with the current receiver.  Upgrading to same functionality (reciever to receiver or DVR to DVR) does NOT bring in more money.

NOTHING THEY HAVE COMES ANYWHERE NEAR MY RCA!!!!!!! -- They wanna take my box,they will lose me as a long time customer!!!!!!

Nobody's "getting desperate".  The only thing they gain is not having to support legacy equipment.

But, if you feel you need to leave DIRECTV over this, that really doesn't make much sense to to me...unless you're going to not have a TV service provider.  If you move to another provider you'll be in the same boat as you would with DIRECTV.  You won't have your RCA and you'll be using what ever the latest box the new cable/satellite provider gives you.

Apparently you've compared the speed/performance of the latest receivers to your RCA so if you decide to leave, fair enough.  I hope it all works out the way you want.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#25 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

well the case  is this, you want a DVR.. you have to pay EXTRA PER MONTH.. why? you wouldn't pay extra for a VHS... why should you have to pay extra for a DVR.. its a receiver.. period.. it doesn't take extra band width.. and then if you want a genie, which they are pushing like crazy.. its an extra charge ON TOP OF THE DVR EXTRA CHARGE.. Why? because its FREE MONEY FOR DIRECTV..  its a receiver.. if you want to charge more for an initial cost of a receiver, fine.. but it should be a ONE TIME CHARGE, not a monthly charge.. plus your other receivers..  You buy a car.. it comes with a radio.. but you want a BOSE system.. you pay a one time charge.. ITS YOUR RADIO..  all this is , is TOTALLY FREE MONEY FOR D*.. per month.. just like the HD charge.. it doesn't cost them more to send an HD signal.. THEY HAVE TO SEND IT.. its basically the law of the land.. but you and I are paying for NOTHING.. because if D* didn't send it , THEY WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS.. but they are getting FREE money from you.. and Me.. for NOTHING.. because HD  signal is the cost of doing business.. 

#26 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

They have to send HD??

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Ok everyone, back to discussing obsolete receivers. This isn’t a discussion of DIRECTV fees. I’m sure there’s already a thread on that somewhere.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,299 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

And, please, less SHOUTING! If one really needs emphasis, there's underlining, bolding and italics available. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Directv could start to look at it as those with the older recievers are obsolete customers...typically lower margin customers that probably at some point wont be worth keeping as customers.....SD receivers, lowest tier packages.....

#30 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Directv could start to look at it as those with the older recievers are obsolete customers...typically lower margin customers that probably at some point wont be worth keeping as customers.....SD receivers, lowest tier packages.....

Just because someone has SD only with older receivers doesn't make the customers obsolete.  What about a customer that has older receivers, SD, and Premium movie channels.  I know friends/family in that situation.  Would you consider them low margin and potentially not worth keeping?  That just seems to me to be a little short sighted.

Mike

µß

#31 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Customers who have old dishes and old receivers are cash cows. Directv isn't investing any money at all in them, and they aren't getting all the freebies that new customers get. They may be more profitable than a lot of HD customers - certainly more profitable than any customer who has been with Directv for less than two years.

You have a few million customers that keep paying you $10-$20 more every month than it costs you to provide their programming, many of whom have been doing so for a decade or more, you want to keep them happy!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

One thing is for sure, DirecTV would love to put these customers on the "advanced Receiver" fee bandwagon...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

One thing is for sure, DirecTV would love to put these customers on the "advanced Receiver" fee bandwagon...

I'm sure they would, but I wonder how long the payback is if in order to induce them to upgrade you give these customers a new dish, a new Genie, and possibly a SWM16 if the Genie pushes them over 8 tuners? Having customers spending an extra $25/month is great, except that it puts a bigger target on Directv's back when someone starts looking for ways to reduce their spending.

People who are still SD only probably mostly fall into one of two camps. One, they don't consider TV that important to worth spending too much money on. Two, they don't have a lot of money to spend on monthly TV fees or on a new HD set. Either way it may be hard for Directv to get them to decide to spend that extra $25/month and keep them for the long term.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#34 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Well, I upgraded my old Hughes box utilizing the "MPG swap" offer and got a reconditioned D12 (but it works perfect, no charge of any kind, and no new commitment)

Why did I do it well in advance of the MPG going away?

I use this non-DVR receiver in my computer room for one reason-Sonic Tap!!  Yup, it's got an old 5" B & W TV connected to it which is rarely turned on and only to set it up.  And the new D12 gets a number of additional music channels from the 119 that were NOT added to the MPG when Sonic Tap came along.  Plus, if it breaks down I can get it replaced for only $20.  If my Hughes broke down it would have been tough luck Charlie-pay full price and enjoy a new commitment!

They won't "take" your RCA box-one day you will just turn it on and it won't work anymore because without the MPG (master program guide) it won't know how to tune channels.  Frankly, I'm surprised they still haven't shut off the MPG as I got my D12 and retired my Hughes box months ago.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#35 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Customers who have old dishes and old receivers are cash cows. Directv isn't investing any money at all in them, and they aren't getting all the freebies that new customers get. They may be more profitable than a lot of HD customers - certainly more profitable than any customer who has been with Directv for less than two years.

You have a few million customers that keep paying you $10-$20 more every month than it costs you to provide their programming, many of whom have been doing so for a decade or more, you want to keep them happy!

Well, that comment about "aren't getting all the freebies that new customers get" isn't exactly true.  I am one of those ancient, obsolete customers with an old dish and SD service.  And I was giving DirecTV a FORTUNE every month.  I called and asked about my commitment (even though I knew I didn't have one).  This immediately triggered a transfer to the retention dept.

If you don't think DTV knows all about old SD customers with equipment that has been paid for over and over you are wrong.  They gave me THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS A MONTH off my bill for 12 months and FIFTEEN DOLLARS a month off for months 12-15 just so I wouldn't cancel and jump to another provider.  Do the math.  That's the same discount NEW CUSTOMERS RECEIVE-maybe even a little more.

Guess what was NEVER brought up on the call?  Upgrading to HD which I have no intention of doing at this time.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#36 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,198 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

Well if you don't have an HDTV then that's fine if you do you wasted money on a tv IMHO.

But to the point of this thread... If you still use an mpg box I believe you have already lost stuff. They don't tune to dash channels do they? So you just lost all alt and part time channels.

If that means anything to those that have those boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#37 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

well MPG still working....for now.  The only part time channel I like to watch is Fox College Sports, which comes in just fine.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#38 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

I do believe Directv has finally issued an end date to these receivers.  And it looms very soon, December 19th.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

I do believe Directv has finally issued an end date to these receivers. And it looms very soon, December 19th.

Yes, some have reported their accounts being suspended at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#40 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

Ya they suspended mine,I JUST CALLED AND HAD IT RE-ACTIVATED!!!!!! (Then I pulled my card so they cant do this again (Ill only put it in when I watch it))

THIS IS JUST A SCAM TO TRY AND FORCE EVERYONE TO THIER GARBAGE AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE!! icon04gh0.gif

Protected By... spam firewall...And...