Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

chann 214, obsolete receiver message

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Does this mean that his receiver can not tune to those channels any longer?

I believe the person would get an error message because the programming could not be found.   My understanding is next week, none of the channels will be tunable except for channel 341 slide directing the last remaining customers to call and receive their free SD receiver exchange.  Essentially, no channels will be available except for channel 341 next week. At least that is my understanding.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hopefully, this will bring this issue to closure. My eyes were ringing from all of the yelling. :)
  • Laxguy likes this
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#123 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Discuss the topic, NOT other members.  I did a little cleanup and it's time to let it go.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#124 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

So Dude, you aren't going to tell us what's so good about your box and so bad about the newer Directv boxes? Why not?

1) No Spam in the guide!! -- I DONT WANNA SEE ADs WHEN IM LOOKING AT THE GUIDE!

2) Faster than newer boxs (Im pretty sure any new boxs wont be just as fast (Responding to commands,changing channels,etc))

Does anyone that had an RCA box think the new one is AS GOOD as the RCA box??

I dont want to happen to my DTV box what happend to my TIME WARNER BOX! (Went from excellent to garbage when they forced this navigator crap on us)

#125 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

Well the guide clutter is definitely a PIA, I agree with that. Otherwise, your arguments are specious at best. 

#126 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,145 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

The h25 (but it's Hi Definition) is the fastest DIRECTV box ever made.

#127 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,333 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

New box, Mongo say way better. Set up custom guide. No clutter. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#128 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Custom guide??

Does that mean NO ADS IN IT?

The way I see it is this: When they finally want to move everything to MPEG4 Then I will need a new box because I do not think my RCA box has codecs for MPEG4...

But I will remember H25..

#129 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

I found another reason my old Sony receivers were better than the new receiver I just got. They had user's manuals. My new tv didn't have a user's manual, either. Based on this sample size of two, I have concluded that electronics manufacturers are no longer including manuals. :sure:  I find having to go download and print a manual to be annoying. :bang

• Dude111 likes this

#130 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

My box can access youtube and Pandora, can yours? Makes is very convenient to not have to go to the computer.

I love the Scoreguide.

And Really!  You are going to look for guide data elsewhere.  Why in the world would you go to that extreme?

He will not need an online guide, because his receiver will not be able to tune any channels once the mpg giide is taken down. The guide does two things. One, it tells you on the screen where your program is, and it tells the LNB which transponder to tune in order to get the desired channel. Whatever the preceived advantages the mpg receiver has over the d12 now, the mpg receiver will not work at all once the guide is no longer being transmitted.

#131 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

I found another reason my old Sony receivers were better than the new receiver I just got. They had user's manuals. My new tv didn't have a user's manual, either. Based on this sample size of two, I have concluded that electronics manufacturers are no longer including manuals. :sure:  I find having to go download and print a manual to be annoying. :bang

Based on a much wider sample, your conclusion is correct! 

Unclear on whether there's an implied smilie after your last sentence. I myself, being a good custodian of our trees, would never print out a manual.  :)

#132 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Custom guide??

Does that mean NO ADS IN IT?

The way I see it is this: When they finally want to move everything to MPEG4 Then I will need a new box because I do not think my RCA box has codecs for MPEG4...

But I will remember H25..

Basically, if you remove the channel just below the ad, the ad goes away. And generally those channels are ones that aren't an issue to delete.

#133 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

Based on a much wider sample, your conclusion is correct! 

Unclear on whether there's an implied smilie after your last sentence. I myself, being a good custodian of our trees, would never print out a manual.   :)

Trees used for paper pulp are grown as a crop like any other agricultural crop. Using these farm grown trees for paper is actually less damaging to the environment than recycling paper. Using the land for tree farms probably is better than any other use. The trees are a better carbon sink than any thing else grown on that land.

#134 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Don't disagree, but using no trees at all is better. 

I do wonder how the decrease in paper for print (newspapers mostly) has changed the landscape for paper products. 

#135 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

One of the facts of the Internet age was that I could read the manual of an electronics device prior to purchasing it to see if it had the features that I needed. Plus, you can read it on a tablet.

But, yeah, not including more than a quick start manual and including the full manual as a download or CD, that's smacks of cost cutting. But, it's GREEN!  :bang

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#136 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

For residential customers, all channels are now off the guide except channel 100 and 341 for these MPG receivers. 

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#137 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'm guessing that very few people every bother reading manuals anymore, until they run into a problem if then even.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#138 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

For residential customers, all channels are now off the guide except channel 100 and 341 for these MPG receivers.

Which shows they are forcing everyone off these better boxs....... (They could leave them up with no data)

I dunno if I care about TV enough to accept something thats NOT AS GOOD......

99% of whats on TV now is garbage....

#139 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,982 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Which shows they are forcing everyone off these better boxs....... (They could leave them up with no data)

I dunno if I care about TV enough to accept something thats NOT AS GOOD......

99% of whats on TV now is garbage....

You have no idea how the other boxes are, do you?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#140 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

OK, I think this thread has run its course. If you have any specific issues upgrading from an MPG receiver to a newer one, please start a new thread.
  • Laxguy likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...