Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie HR44 just installed--couple problems cropped up

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

I just installed an HR44 into a setup that has other HD DVRs next to the Genie. Three of those others will soon be deactivated, but in the meantime, here are the problems I'm experiencing:

• My Genie won't hide SD duplicates. Yes, I have definitely selected this in the preferences section, but for some reason, it just won't work. I can hide HD duplicates, show all channels, but cannot get the unit to hide the SD ones. That setting is the same as show all channels.
  • I've got the remote in IR mode because I use a Harmony One for my AV setup. The other four DVRs use remote codes of 0001, 0002, etc. How can I get the Genie to be used in my Harmony setup? When I went through the Genie's setup, there was no way to utilize remote codes like there was for the other 4 DVRs.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

It can take some time for the guide to update, but a menu reset wont hurt

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

All good techs force a software update. Since its Saturday nite you should likely wait till tomorrow..unless you want the freaky stuff.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

It can take some time for the guide to update, but a menu reset wont hurt

OK. I'll give that a try. Onto the 2nd problem, then.

All good techs force a software update. Since its Saturday nite you should likely wait till tomorrow..unless you want the freaky stuff.

Well, I am a CE participant.  ;)

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#5 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

FWIW when we started HR44s the soft ware was crap , default was show all channels. The SD locals SFSS. A forced  update fixed that. If it doesn't have 0x740 then force it, if it's not in the stream right now then wait. Make sure it works right before you do the freaky stuff.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#6 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

OK, problem #1 is resolved. Now we turn to #2--the remote. I can't find the remote codes anywhere on this thing. There doesn't appear to be any way to use this in the same room as another receiver without controlling another receiver at the same time.

#7 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Adding another possible issue--changing remote from RF to IR.

I thought I did this correctly, but every time I go back into the menu, the HR44 is showing it is in RF mode. I redo the changing of the status from RF to IR, but it always keeps showing it's in the RF mode.

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

The menu to switch between IR and RF is confusing. It doesn't show you where you are at, but it shows you what you intend to do.   But it does work.  Be sure to press ENTER at the end when you go into RF mode.  IR mode does not use the Enter button.

To your original problem 2.   The HR44 default IR code is 00001.  And it works when the HR44 is in RF mode too.  It will react to both a standard remote in IR and RC71 in RF mode when the HR44 is set to RF.   What you can do is just leave the HR44 as is on IR code 00001.  For your other receivers, set them to codes 0002-00008.

Then have your Harmony remote use other codes for each receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

You have 11 tuners in one spot? I'm pretty sure you know that only 8 are supported per each leg of the SWiM16, but it'd be unusual to have both legs going to one spot.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

The menu to switch between IR and RF is confusing. It doesn't show you where you are at, but it shows you what you intend to do. But it does work. Be sure to press ENTER at the end when you go into RF mode. IR mode does not use the Enter button.

To your original problem 2. The HR44 default IR code is 00001. And it works when the HR44 is in RF mode too. It will react to both a standard remote in IR and RC71 in RF mode when the HR44 is set to RF. What you can do is just leave the HR44 as is on IR code 00001. For your other receivers, set them to codes 0002-00008.

The conflicting HR22's remote code isn't 00001 like the Genie's; it's 00003, yet it still is affected by the Genie's remote. Interestingly, the one HR whose remote code IS 00001 is unaffected.

You have 11 tuners in one spot? I'm pretty sure you know that only 8 are supported per each leg of the SWiM16, but it'd be unusual to have both legs going to one spot.

There are 8 tuners on one port of the SWM and the Genie alone on the other port of the SWM.

Sent from my EVO LTE using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Pretty sure you'd have that covered, but just in case... 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

The menu to switch between IR and RF is confusing. It doesn't show you where you are at, but it shows you what you intend to do.   But it does work.  Be sure to press ENTER at the end when you go into RF mode.  IR mode does not use the Enter button.

To your original problem 2.   The HR44 default IR code is 00001.  And it works when the HR44 is in RF mode too.  It will react to both a standard remote in IR and RC71 in RF mode when the HR44 is set to RF.   What you can do is just leave the HR44 as is on IR code 00001.  For your other receivers, set them to codes 0002-00008.

It has been some time since I last programmed my Harmony to adopt a custom IR code. If I change my HR22 from its current, conflicting code (that the Genie is sharing), how do I go about getting my Harmony to then use that?

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Ok one thing of note, if you want to program another code other in a more advanced way on a hr44 youneed to use a old remote or use the front panel. Do not even enter the menus with a rc71 it will show you a different kind of menu system entirely. You get very different menu options based on what remote you use when you enter into the menu system and then go to remote control setup. Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#14 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

OK. Let me try an old remote and see if that works.

#15 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well, I tried it, but that didn't work. While I can get the old remote to control the 44, on the 44's menu there is no "advanced setup" option in the remote control setup screen. This option is present in all of the other HR DVRs, which allows one to change the remote codes in those. However, it's not present in the 44, which prevents me from changing the 44's remote code to one different from the HR22 that is being controlled as well.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Well, I tried it, but that didn't work. While I can get the old remote to control the 44, on the 44's menu there is no "advanced setup" option in the remote control setup screen. This option is present in all of the other HR DVRs, which allows one to change the remote codes in those. However, it's not present in the 44, which prevents me from changing the 44's remote code to one different from the HR22 that is being controlled as well.

Wait which older remote. Don't use an x one either. Sorry, forgot to mention that. I swear its the one thing of the genies I hate, they need to really redo remote setup comepltly IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

Wait which older remote. Don't use an x one either. Sorry, forgot to mention that. I swear its the one thing of the genies I hate, they need to really redo remote setup comepltly IMHO.

You may even try restarting the receiver and only using a non x remote with it till you get it set right. It sometimes doesn't like to admit your using a different remote.

#18 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

I used the old white ones, model # RC64RB.

I did get the HR22 to respond. I changed its code to something way out of range--00007. I then went to my Harmony and relearned the HR22's remote entirely, based on the new code. Now we'll see if that works. All I'm looking to be able to do is to use the Harmony to control the Genie and the HR22, but not at the same time.  :P

I'll report back shortly.

#19 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

OK, I think I have "solved" the issue at hand. I couldn't get the damn HR44's remote code changed from its default (which, contrary to what others had said, was 00004 and not 00001). So, the HR22, which had its remote code set at 00004, needed to be changed. I changed that to something nowhere near the current IRDs, including the Genie. So, I chose 00007. I used an old, standard DirecTV remote, slid the selector to AV1, then chose 00007. Following this, I went to my Harmony software, selected devices, chose the HR22, then selected "learn remote." I then proceeded to do just that. After I was done, I updated my remote in Harmony and tried it out. So far, it appears to be working; that is, the HR22 is now working without it affecting the Genie, and the Genie works without it affecting the HR22. I tested the other three receivers as well, and none of them were affected by my controlling the Genie (or the HR22, for that matter).

Now if I can only figure out why one of my HR20-700s is the only receiver not showing on any other box's Whole Home DVR menu or playlist.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

OK, I think I have "solved" the issue at hand. I couldn't get the damn HR44's remote code changed from its default (which, contrary to what others had said, was 00004 and not 00001). So, the HR22, which had its remote code set at 00004, needed to be changed. I changed that to something nowhere near the current IRDs, including the Genie. So, I chose 00007. I used an old, standard DirecTV remote, slid the selector to AV1, then chose 00007. Following this, I went to my Harmony software, selected devices, chose the HR22, then selected "learn remote." I then proceeded to do just that. After I was done, I updated my remote in Harmony and tried it out. So far, it appears to be working; that is, the HR22 is now working without it affecting the Genie, and the Genie works without it affecting the HR22. I tested the other three receivers as well, and none of them were affected by my controlling the Genie (or the HR22, for that matter).

Now if I can only figure out why one of my HR20-700s is the only receiver not showing on any other box's Whole Home DVR menu or playlist.

Is the deca all lite up properly? You may want to rerun sat setup on it. Sometimes that fixes weird issues..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...