Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 for $299 at Weaknees and Solid Signal

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,745 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Unfortunately my sources say this is not the case.

Thats too bad. Was really hoping for an 8 tuner Genie. Those 3 extra tuners would really come in handy for a larger family. Oh well, maybe next year.

Hopefully they'll allow for two Genies on one account soon.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Also let us know how easy it was to get DirecTV to swap it out.  I don't see it being an issue but I'm still curious.

You will probably have to wait for Friday for that as I have a few more shows to finish up on before I can deactivate the HR34 box. I really didn't expect the new box to arrive so quick honestly. (waiting on UPS to drop it off this afternoon). That said, I have never had a problem switching out receivers with Directv before. I have done this sort of thing many times in the past. The only thing I am wondering about is whether they will have to deactivate the 2 C31's I have first, and then reactivate them on the HR44, or if they can just stay on the account during the switch-out of the Genie.

#23 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

You will probably have to wait for Friday for that as I have a few more shows to finish up on before I can deactivate the HR34 box. I really didn't expect the new box to arrive so quick honestly. (waiting on UPS to drop it off this afternoon). That said, I have never had a problem switching out receivers with Directv before. I have done this sort of thing many times in the past. The only thing I am wondering about is whether they will have to deactivate the 2 C31's I have first, and then reactivate them on the HR44, or if they can just stay on the account during the switch-out of the Genie.

They should be able to stay on the account. IIRC, you should be able to unplug them and after you activate the HR44, plug them back in and they should connect to the HR44 at that point.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#24 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Well the thing about buying them is you know what you get.  Sure you may have a free upgrade offer from DirecTV, but who's to say they don't show up with a big ol' HR34?  They are now about 259 on amazon.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#25 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

The HR44 arrived today, and it was double boxed and was the correct unit. It had a DirecTV seal on the box showing it hadn't been tampered with, so no problem. Total cost: $219. This thing is MUCH smaller than my HR34. I will be activating it either tomorrow or Friday.

#26 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

That is scraping the bottom of the barrel though. I really would not want to go through ebay for something like this. Then again, they may be legit and their feedback seems good. Looks like we all have a lot of choices all of a sudden.

i bought mine from ebay seller a month ago and it was brand new in the box and works just fine.  paid 200 shipped when all the "reputable" sellers were charging the ridiculous insane 600 dollars for it...

#27 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

Yeah, the smaller size is nice and of course speed is good too.

Correct, replacing it, so not an issue. Smaller form factor and speed were the two reasons I am upgrading.

so far i am LOVING the HR44 over the HR34....the HR34 was a piece of CRAP....my only regret is I had to wait so long for a real receiver and that I could not take a sledge hammer to the HR34 before sending it back to D...yet theres still D can do no wrong fanboys on here that claim that the HR34 and HR44 are VIRTUALLY identical in performance....amazing....EVERYONE thats tried both say that the HR44 blows it away...oh and its nice having both the wireless and the optical output that SHOULD have been included on the HR34 boat anchor.

Edited by dtrell, 05 September 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   Volunteer

Volunteer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

The HR44 arrived today, and it was double boxed and was the correct unit. It had a DirecTV seal on the box showing it hadn't been tampered with, so no problem. Total cost: $219. This thing is MUCH smaller than my HR34. I will be activating it either tomorrow or Friday.

Did you get a HR44-700, HR44-500 or HR44-200 model?

Samsung 55" LCD
Samsung 50" DLP

Vizio 37" LCD
2-HR20-700/ w/ 2TB eSata
1-HR44-500 w/ 2TB eSata
SWM16
5-LNB Dish

#29 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

I got the HR44-500. It was manufactured in May.

The activation process was a bit of a mess. They obviously had to remove the clients first from the HR34, and then remove the HR34. Since that was the only receiver on my account, it pretty much cancelled out all of my programming and options. The CSR then added the HR44 and the clients. Finally, I got her to add back the programming and Genie-Go, etc. This is where we ran into a problem though. She could not activate the Whole Home DVR functionality. (says not Activated). After waiting on hold for 20 minutes so she could get a programming supervisor to look at it, she came back and said it is a "known" issue and opened up a ticket. I think this might have been because she added the clients first before activating the feature. Anyway, I can still watch TV with the clients, I just can't use the DVR functionality. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. OH, I also had to tell her to order me a box to send the old receiver back which she did.

I asked her if all of my "credits" were still on the account and she said she added those back i.e. $10 off a month for HD, and $10 off a month for Showtime/HBO. I will have to verify that again though.

Overall, definitely worth the switch out even if it took about an hour total on the call.

#30 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

Good to know txfeinbergs - and thanks for the information. I'm swapping an HR34 for an HR44 this week and was wondering what to expect with regards to deactivating/activating. I won't have any clients (only H25s) so maybe it'll be a little more straightforward.  Just wondering though, did you disconnect your HR34 and connect the HR44 before calling Directv, or did you call them first for directions?

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,977 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

They should be able to stay on the account. IIRC, you should be able to unplug them and after you activate the HR44, plug them back in and they should connect to the HR44 at that point.

- Merg

No, they need to be "marry" to the new Genie by selecting and pitting in the new PIN number 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

No, they need to be "marry" to the new Genie by selecting and pitting in the new PIN number 

Yeah, I wasn't very clear. I was more just referring to the fact that they do not need to be deactivated and then activated again when switching from a HR34 to a HR44. Once you restart the client with the new Genie, it should prompt you for a PIN, which you would get from the HR44 Add Client screen.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#33 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Received the HR44 from Dishbuys today - $219 with free shipping. Unfortunately, the Directv rep trying to help me activate is having issues deactivating the HR34. She said it's being shown as deactivated on my account, but not in their system and because of that we are unable to activate the HR44 yet. She's hoping it'll clear up shortly and everything will be a go. 

Like one of the earlier posters mentioned, the HR44 came double-boxed, with good packaging and a sealed Directv box on the inside. Everything included - RC71 remote, power brick, HDMI cable. Can't wait to get it up and running.

#34 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

All of these gushy posts are having an effect, I WANT a 44.

In furtherance of that, I've ordered a SWM16, and will revamp my existing mirror system.

Won't order a 44 for a while, but I'm getting ready for it.

:righton:

I hope all of you are happy now!

#35 OFFLINE   Half Decaf

Half Decaf

• Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

This HR44 sounds nice.  I currently have an HR24 and H24 with whole home dvr service.  Any downside of me deleting the H24, moving the HR24 to where the H24 was and installing a new HR44?  So, I would just have an HR44 in the living room and an HR24 in the bedroom.   I can keep whole home dvr, too, right?

Watch this space for even more exciting news

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

This HR44 sounds nice. I currently have an HR24 and H24 with whole home dvr service. Any downside of me deleting the H24, moving the HR24 to where the H24 was and installing a new HR44? So, I would just have an HR44 in the living room and an HR24 in the bedroom. I can keep whole home dvr, too, right?

No downside at all, a big plus. yes both playlist will share between the two DVRs

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#37 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

That's what I was thinking of doing. Though debating waiting a little more. With each passing month, the chance of getting an HR44 over an HR34 improves. Need to make sure the odds are in my favor before signing a new contract.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

That's what I was thinking of doing. Though debating waiting a little more. With each passing month, the chance of getting an HR44 over an HR34 improves. Need to make sure the odds are in my favor before signing a new contract.

Hmmm, not sure. As time passes, DirecTV starts collecting HR34s for distribution as refurbished. It will always be the luck of the draw

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hmmm, not sure. As time passes, DirecTV starts collecting HR34s for distribution as refurbished. It will always be the luck of the draw

Well I'm not going to wait a whole nother year. Maybe by December.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#40 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Really enjoying this HR44-200 so far. I'll admit to being skeptical when I heard how much faster it was, etc., but it truly is much quicker than my HR34 ever was. And though I wasn't really drawn to it because of the smaller footprint, it's a nice improvement. 

As for the new remote - the RC71? That I'm not crazy about. I've been using it to get a feel for it, but am glad my previous remote works just as well - along with my Harmony. That is another great benefit, that the HR44 can do IR and RF at the same time, so my Harmony still controls it as well as it did the HR34.

The activation/deactivation hiccups were cleared up after a couple hours last night and everything has worked perfectly since. Glad I took the plunge with this Dishbuys company. Also, the shipping was free and the HR44 arrived within two days of placing my order, which was a very nice surprise.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...