Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 for $299 at Weaknees and Solid Signal

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   piper28

piper28

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I went with the dishbuys route too, and that worked pretty well.  Ordered it late in the day on a Friday, it shipped on Monday and I had it on Tuesday.  I ended up with an hr44-700, didn't check the manufacturing date.  Took a little while to get it activated because apparently directv gets a little freaked out when you buy something from a third party retailer and you haven't called to do anything to your account for 7 years.

Took a bit to get the 3tb raid drive I had for it working.  Part of that was just stupidity, because apparently I have a bad socket or two on a power strip, and it was plugged into one of those (obviously, it's not going to work real well without any power).  I did end up having to format the drive on my pc before it recognized it and reformatted it.

Now I just need to get the remote ir codes working.  I've still got an hr20 in there that I need to keep for a while because there's a bunch of stuff we still need to watch, and apparently it's on the same ir codes as the hr44 is (the hr22 that I deactivated I'd changed ir codes, apparently the 20 must have been on the defaults).  It didn't look obvious to me that the codes can be changed on the 44?  If not, it's just going to take that much more reprogramming for my universal remote.  Been so long since I've done this process that I'm going to have to go digging for how to do it.

But man, after having been using an hr20 and an hr22 for a long time, the hr44 is just amazingly faster.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

The thing I was surprised was a lot faster that I did not expect was that the mini clients actually work much better now. Usually every command took awhile, but it is almost like you are actually just using the HR44 directly. DirecTV took a couple of days, but they got the Whole Home DVR setting sorted out as well (probably because they wouldn't have been able to charge me the $3 a month as long as it showed up as deactivated in their system).

#43 OFFLINE   Volunteer

Volunteer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

I was eligible for an upgrade via the protection plan so I called up retention and they told me I could order a HR44 via Solidsignal or Weaknees and they'd credit the cost once activated and they'd note the account to that effect.

So I ordered via Weaknees and got the HR44-500 yesterday and installed and activated it without a hitch (10 mins on the phone), called back today and got the credit applied without any issue since prior CSR had noted the account.

I didn't want any clients as I kept my other two HR20's for the whole home setup and already had the SWM16 so the setup was literally unplug the HR20 and plug in the HR44.

Loving the box, it is so tiny and lightning quick as others have noted.  I love my Directv and would never, ever think about going back to cable.

Samsung 55" LCD
Samsung 50" DLP

Vizio 37" LCD
2-HR20-700/ w/ 2TB eSata
1-HR44-500 w/ 2TB eSata
SWM16
5-LNB Dish

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

I was eligible for an upgrade via the protection plan so I called up retention and they told me I could order a HR44 via Solidsignal or Weaknees and they'd credit the cost once activated and they'd note the account to that effect.

So I ordered via Weaknees and got the HR44-500 yesterday and installed and activated it without a hitch (10 mins on the phone), called back today and got the credit applied without any issue since prior CSR had noted the account.

I didn't want any clients as I kept my other two HR20's for the whole home setup and already had the SWM16 so the setup was literally unplug the HR20 and plug in the HR44.

Loving the box, it is so tiny and lightning quick as others have noted. I love my Directv and would never, ever think about going back to cable.

Unless you have a hard drive space issue or recording conflict type issue, I'd record everything on the genine and wind down the hr20s and replace them when you have a chance, and then hold the hr20s as backups to be activated if needed. Those HR20 are power hungry heaters like crazy. And central management is nice. I'm assuming you had just the two hr20s based on your post so you'd still come out ahead.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#45 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Loving the box, it is so tiny and lightning quick as others have noted.  I love my Directv and would never, ever think about going back to cable.

Do you NEED the protection plan for this?

If so, would it be worth adding for a month just to make this happen... then you can take it off right?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Do you NEED the protection plan for this?

If so, would it be worth adding for a month just to make this happen... then you can take it off right?

There is an early termination fee for the PP plan as well

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

There is an early termination fee for the PP plan as well

Ok what's the term? Is ETF prorated? What would be the ETF? Would just have to do the math to see if this method is cheaper than an outright HR44 purchase with no reimbursement.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...