Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv stopped supporting THR22 and no replacement spares?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,995 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Installers I'm sure as several have said they still have plenty including most the ones they ever got sent in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Yup, who ever needs a TiVO in my market, has to clean up the 4 inches of dust on the boxes!!!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   frankygamer

frankygamer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Sorry, don't by that they have stopped selling them just yet. I thought their contract is through 2017. Maybe one of the installers will let us know if they have some own their warehouses still.

And as for replacing and adding bigger hard drives, all the hr2/4xs do that just fine.

One of the big reasons DIRECTV kicked TiVo to the curb the first time was their complete lack of security for things recorded onto their system.

And at this point,I don't think TiVo has the brain power to ask for and create a hr44 based TiVo product for DIRECTV.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Nice to apples to oranges comparison.  Yes, Series 1 and series 2 DirecTV tivo's were hackable.  Directv based DVR's were non-existant so of coarse they were not hackable.

Now compare the Tivo Series 3, 4, and now Roamio (which by the way blows Genie out of the water) to the DirecTV DVR's and security is equivalent.  Blaming Tivo for early generation HW security and celebrating DIrecTV by using the security lessons learned by TiVo and broadcom really is joke.  DirecTV sat on thier butts, let Tivo put the DVR on the map, pulled Tivo, and has never caught back up since.

I just moved all my season passes online from my XL4 to my new Roamio in 5 minutes.  How is that working on Genie?  Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Youtube, MLB.tv, Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, Live365, photos, apps, etc, etc...  Yes, yes, you don't want/need those features but fact is TiVo does it.  DirecTV doesn't.

Saying Tivo doesn't have the brains is a farce as well.  What they don't have is the money DirecTV does.  For years people say TiVO is going under but they never do.  Between patents, litigation, agreements with D* for providing 0 service, and then on top of that dropping out the Roamio shows TiVo has more brains in it's little finger then DirecTV will ever have.

I know this is a pro-DirecTV forum, but some of the bs you guys post is just humorous.  Genie is a very good DVR.  I don't denie that.  But Roamio/TiVo still lead the way no matter how hard DirecTV and their blinded followers continue to compare a THR22 with 5+ year old SW and HW to Genie and ignore what Tivo as done without DirecTV with the Series 4 and now Roamio.

Unfortunately, these 2 companies will never play nice again, so we never will really see what TiVo could do in the satellite bussiness again,

#23 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

I still have my Tivo THR22, but am handing over to my 78 year old dad who has had a HDVR2 (w/750gig drive) for 8 years now, who just tried a HR22 and does not like it.  He does not need whole home, etc. so it is a lateral move and simple, but now he will get all the HD channels on his TV using the same interface.

I am loyal to both companies.... I have many family members that signed up with DirecTV because of the TiVo DVR's and helped make DirecTV to what it is today.   There was quite a lot of heckling on this site towards TiVo in the delays/development of the THR22, saying how stupid TiVo and their engineers were for not being able to get their software implemented and getting rid of bugs on DirecTV hardware, which contributed to the delays.

I can say this....I have more constant freezing/pixellating/whole home DVR issues for many months now with my Genie that I never had with my THR22 other previous DirecTiVo model.  Once I physically unplug the power from my Genie, all the other 10 HD-DVR's work nicely and play whole home very well.  I am a little surprised it is taking so long to get this fixed, and my wife has beyond had it with the Genie.  She still likes using the HDTiVo once in a while, located in the other room.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

I still have my Tivo THR22, but am handing over to my 78 year old dad who has had a HDVR2 (w/750gig drive) for 8 years now, who just tried a HR22 and does not like it.  He does not need whole home, etc. so it is a lateral move and simple, but now he will get all the HD channels on his TV using the same interface.

Hang on here, is your Dad on your account and at your location? If not, you will not be able to transfer your THR22 to him, unless you actually own it, and get a new Access Card.

#25 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's confirmed owned (cannot discuss why) thus will be deactivated off my account and activated on his.

#26 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

I don't think you know what bait and switch is.

Tivo would bait me into switching to another provider. :rotfl:

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

It's confirmed owned (cannot discuss why) thus will be deactivated off my account and activated on his.

Ok, just making sure. There are sometimes misconceptions :)

#28 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

I see that Solid Signal states that the THR22 is unavailable. Sent from my SCH-I545 using DBSTalk mobile app

#29 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ok, just making sure. There are sometimes misconceptions :)

No worries......thanks.

#30 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

The THR22 just doesn't compare to what some cable companies are offering.  For example here are new features in the winter update for RCN customers:

• Dynamic Tuner Allocation : This means no longer having to lock up tuners for use for the Mini's , they will be pulled from a pool when needed
  • What to Watch Now Feature.. : This is a pretty cool feature that addresses some of the need to constant channel surfing with looking for something to watch. You probably have seen it on the TiVO App, It's now coming to your T.V. It shows your whats on Right NOW with regards to Movies / Sports etc..
  • Some Easy to Use Guide Filters, Filter by Genre etc..
  • Browse Web Videos is going away, this has been replaced by Web Video Hotlist
  • Mini's and Previews now will have the ability to access and modify the Season Pass Manager and To Do List on the host DVR.
  • Some Changes around Closed Captioning Changes (Transparency)
  • HTML 5 support, Which will include TWO REMADE Apps :
  • New Pandora App (HTML 5 Version)
  • AOL On! (HTML 5 Version) with TechCruch App
  • New MOVIEFONE App that is a very nice replacement to the legacy fandango app.
  • All these apps will launch late on Friday..
  • The Opera Store will launch in January, within the Opera Store App there are about 140 apps the include everything from Facebook, Twitter , Games , Weather , etc.. We are still working on that App and hope to launch it in Early Jan.

They have full HD UI.  Apps and a full featured App store coming soon (far wider variety than DirecTV Genie / HR2x or even average cable equipment).  They do multi room with Tivo Mini's.  They have the Tivo iPad app.  

The DirecTV implementation is just a hampered 10 year old product that they tried to release as "new!".  No wonder it doesn't have as wide adoption.  I don't see what the harm would be if Tivo would push to port their Roamio (known as the T6 platform to cable operators) to DirecTV.  It could bring modern day Tivo lovers to DirecTV, and it would also bring people into Tivo.  It's really a win-win for both companies.

Oh well, their loss.  If DirecTV doesn't deliver the missing HD when D14 is operational, they could lose me to the local cable operator and Tivo.  I will have to see how it plays out.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yup, who ever needs a TiVO in my market, has to clean up the 4 inches of dust on the boxes!!!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

That's what I would've said, with many upgrading or signing up to Directv receivers, I bet the warehouse would have plenty TiVo THR22 collecting dust, plus with the software issues and the extra $5 bucks a month on top of the $6 (if it's and additional box otherwise $6 credit) who would want to.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 OFFLINE   gpshead

gpshead

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

For reference, I just returned to Directv (from 3 years in dish vip722k hell) and ordered a TiVo as my DVR. TiVo is the main reason I bothered to return to Directv. The installer had to drive to a warehouse 27 miles away to grab a THR22-100 TiVo as he said there are not many in stock. It isn't a common request. I asked how many people ordered the TiVo and he said it was rare, "probably 1 in 100". There was a big rush on them in 2012 when they were reintroduced but that's about it. Most of what they install today is, unsurprisingly, the Genie because that is what they push people towards. 

I don't really care. ALL of the other DVR user interfaces still suck (Genie and Hopper included). The Directv TiVo is a DVR and only a DVR. It does its one job well even if parts of its UI are really showing their age by not having changed since 2002.

For everything else on your TV (youtube, amazon, google play, music, photos, etc) get a Google Chromecast ($35) or a Roku ($80) and you'll be set.

The reason Directv TiVos do not have the features of a non-proprietary cable TiVo like the Roamio is that directv does not want to provide customer support for them and frankly does not want to enable people to buy content from a third party they are not getting a large chunk of the revenue from.

TiVo as a company? Doomed to irrelevance. DVRs are a stop gap to be used only by those without a good internet connection where broadcast mediums are the only way to get large content in the long run. Non-DVR features are simply not going to carry them anywhere. TiVo should have sold themselves to DiSH or Directv years ago. It'd have been the best way to end the old Echostar (dish) vs Tivo patent lawsuit that crippled Dish DVRs.

Alas, we can't have good things.

#33 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Yup,

The THR22 does a fine job of replacing the old ED Beta tape recorder with smooth fast forward/reverse and pause.

The THR22 with the TiVo GUI has a  better guide, better now playing menu and an intuitive remote control.

So if you don't want the whole home feature of the D* DVR's, the THR22 is the way to go.

If D* wanted to, they could have had the TiVo GUI enabled in order to have the whole home features, but they wanted to push their "house brand" DVR in order to avoid paying TiVo a fee for their GUI.

Too bad that D* decided not to use the TiVo GUI. I would have been ok paying D* an extra fee for the TiVo GUI on their high end boxes.

A friend of mine that has a HR34 is always complaining about it locking up and having to power cycle it. He has had it replaced once, but it still locks up occasionally.

My THR22 just keeps going like the eveready bunny.

I would like to have the whole home feature, but I'm happy with having the TiVo GUI in a HD DVR.

Perhaps, down the road, D* will port the HR34 over to the TiVo GUI.

It could be downloadable to the current DVR's and the user could select which GUI they wanted to use.

Oh well, just a "pipe dream" ( for you young kids,,, that's a very old term used a long time ago)

Edited by BAMCAT, 08 January 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#34 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Nice to apples to oranges comparison.  Yes, Series 1 and series 2 DirecTV tivo's were hackable.  Directv based DVR's were non-existant so of coarse they were not hackable.

Now compare the Tivo Series 3, 4, and now Roamio (which by the way blows Genie out of the water) to the DirecTV DVR's and security is equivalent.  Blaming Tivo for early generation HW security and celebrating DIrecTV by using the security lessons learned by TiVo and broadcom really is joke.  DirecTV sat on thier butts, let Tivo put the DVR on the map, pulled Tivo, and has never caught back up since.

I just moved all my season passes online from my XL4 to my new Roamio in 5 minutes.  How is that working on Genie?  Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Youtube, MLB.tv, Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, Live365, photos, apps, etc, etc...  Yes, yes, you don't want/need those features but fact is TiVo does it.  DirecTV doesn't.

Saying Tivo doesn't have the brains is a farce as well.  What they don't have is the money DirecTV does.  For years people say TiVO is going under but they never do.  Between patents, litigation, agreements with D* for providing 0 service, and then on top of that dropping out the Roamio shows TiVo has more brains in it's little finger then DirecTV will ever have.

I know this is a pro-DirecTV forum, but some of the bs you guys post is just humorous.  Genie is a very good DVR.  I don't denie that.  But Roamio/TiVo still lead the way no matter how hard DirecTV and their blinded followers continue to compare a THR22 with 5+ year old SW and HW to Genie and ignore what Tivo as done without DirecTV with the Series 4 and now Roamio.

Unfortunately, these 2 companies will never play nice again, so we never will really see what TiVo could do in the satellite bussiness again,

Uh, no.  Tivo couldn't code themselves out of a dip, much less a giant crater they dug for themselves for years.  Thats why DIrectv dropped them.  You have no idea how late they where with the hr10-250 do you?  Hint, we aren't talking weeks or months.  There is a reason Directv said enough of this stupid stuff.  Then when they agreed to let them come back they where again years late.  Its pathetic.

They finally seem to be spending some money on r& d and have a great product with the Romano that has plenty of features I think Directv should have had ages ago.  No denying that.  but the current Tivo Directv sells is a joke IMHO because tivo had their head burred int he sand for far to long.  If its not got five tuners it isn't good enough just because of that, much less the rest of the reasons.  And that isnt even taking into account My opinion on their older interface which I detest.  Some people love it, and that's fine though.  But just on abilities a genie kicks the directvs but all over the place.  The one thing it had that is an advantage is the series limit.  Other than that, its got nothing .

I wish Tivo would cut a deal to port the romano to the hr44.  That would be fantastic for everyone no matter which unit you like.

#35 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

For reference, I just returned to Directv (from 3 years in dish vip722k hell) and ordered a TiVo as my DVR. TiVo is the main reason I bothered to return to Directv. The installer had to drive to a warehouse 27 miles away to grab a THR22-100 TiVo as he said there are not many in stock. It isn't a common request. I asked how many people ordered the TiVo and he said it was rare, "probably 1 in 100". There was a big rush on them in 2012 when they were reintroduced but that's about it. Most of what they install today is, unsurprisingly, the Genie because that is what they push people towards. 

I don't really care. ALL of the other DVR user interfaces still suck (Genie and Hopper included). The Directv TiVo is a DVR and only a DVR. It does its one job well even if parts of its UI are really showing their age by not having changed since 2002.

For everything else on your TV (youtube, amazon, google play, music, photos, etc) get a Google Chromecast ($35) or a Roku ($80) and you'll be set.

The reason Directv TiVos do not have the features of a non-proprietary cable TiVo like the Roamio is that directv does not want to provide customer support for them and frankly does not want to enable people to buy content from a third party they are not getting a large chunk of the revenue from.

TiVo as a company? Doomed to irrelevance. DVRs are a stop gap to be used only by those without a good internet connection where broadcast mediums are the only way to get large content in the long run. Non-DVR features are simply not going to carry them anywhere. TiVo should have sold themselves to DiSH or Directv years ago. It'd have been the best way to end the old Echostar (dish) vs Tivo patent lawsuit that crippled Dish DVRs.

Alas, we can't have good things.

So your reasoning that both companies dvrs suck is that they don't include amazon and netflix streaming etc?  Or something else?  

#36 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Yup,

The THR22 does a fine job of replacing the old ED Beta tape recorder with smooth fast forward/reverse and pause.

The THR22 with the TiVo GUI has a  better guide, better now playing menu and an intuitive remote control.

So if you don't want the whole home feature of the D* DVR's, the THR22 is the way to go.

If D* wanted to, they could have had the TiVo GUI enabled in order to have the whole home features, but they wanted to push their "house brand" DVR in order to avoid paying TiVo a fee for their GUI.

Too bad that D* decided not to use the TiVo GUI. I would have been ok paying D* an extra fee for the TiVo GUI on their high end boxes.

A friend of mine that has a HR34 is always complaining about it locking up and having to power cycle it. He has had it replaced once, but it still locks up occasionally.

My THR22 just keeps going like the eveready bunny.

I would like to have the whole home feature, but I'm happy with having the TiVo GUI in a HD DVR.

Perhaps, down the road, D* will port the HR34 over to the TiVo GUI.

It could be downloadable to the current DVR's and the user could select which GUI they wanted to use.

Oh well, just a "pipe dream" ( for you young kids,,, that's a very old term used a long time ago)

how is their now playing list better than the Directv one?  

And I don't think Whole  home is the reason to debate between the two, I think two tuners vs five is the first main reason.

We will never see them let people download and chose between guis, I don't think they install the same..  And please, HR44, not hr34!   :rotfl:   The hr44 is just great. Its not the same experience as any other directv branded dvr that you have had before, IMHO, once you have been using it for a while.

#37 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

5 Tuners,, that's fine if you have that many programs on at the same time that you need to record.

Once or twice over the years I have needed a 3rd tuner, but recording 2 shows at once works for me.

The only thing I would like D* to do is enable the THR22 software to work with the whole home feature.

Too bad that D* has abandoned the THR22. 

The only reason that D* had them produced was to satisfy the die hard TiVo fans.

D* said that there wouldn't be any major software updates, not even to fix known bugs... Too bad.

It is interesting that D* features the TiVo in their TV commercials to draw in potential subscribers.

#38 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

5 Tuners,, that's fine if you have that many programs on at the same time that you need to record.

Once or twice over the years I have needed a 3rd tuner, but recording 2 shows at once works for me.

The only thing I would like D* to do is enable the THR22 software to work with the whole home feature.

The only reason that D* had them produced was to satisfy the die hard TiVo fans.

D* said that there wouldn't be any major software updates, not even to fix known bugs... Too bad.

It is interesting that D* features the TiVo in their TV commercials to draw in potential subscribers.

I think they are trying to get rid of all the unused Tivos more so than anything else.

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,995 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

that is until you have a Genie in your hands.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#40 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

They have to advertise, its in their contract.

And I still have never seen that no updates even to fix bugs on it press release.  Thats on tivo to do anyway...

We will see what happens when 2017 hits I guess, to see if they try again with an updated version. I wish they'd do it now.  They will both innovate more if they are both available.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...