Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving to US for some months

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PHFeliciano

PHFeliciano

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm from Brazil, n here i've a Contract with a DirecTVs Brazillian Affiliated.

Next Summer, i'm planning to be in San Francisco CA , to do a After Graduation Course for some months.

Here we use the satellite 70ºW StarOne C2 , it have a footprint that covers all South America, Central and the South of USA.

My question is,

If i got a motorized antenna, a Universal LNB and make the right appointment to "our" (that we use) satellite, may i have some trouble with the US Laws ?

Is there something to prevent me to do that?

Sorry for my english, i think i need to pratice that (;

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

You would have to check with your provider to see if that is legal to watch the programming in the US.  We have all sorts of copyright laws that might require you to purchase the programming in the US in order to view it here.  You might not be able to legally get the programming in the US at all.

If you will be in an apartment, you would only be able to install the dish on part of the property that is assigned to you, such as a balcony and the landlord can't prohibit you from doing this.  You would need permission from the landlord to place the dish anywhere else.  If you will be renting a house, then you should be able to install the dish.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#3 OFFLINE   PHFeliciano

PHFeliciano

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

My question is exactly that, if what I want is legal in US.

I've already sent an e-mail to my provider n they've answered I just need to pay a little more (like a U$20,00) monthly, to set in my contract another instalation adress.

But if this adress is out of support coverage, I'll be not able to have an Oficial Technician Support from them.

The topic "Dish location" , it is also important...

I still don't know where i'll live, I was thinking about an apartment, but I had not seen from this view point already.

If I decide to try this "project" , certainly, the house will be the best choice...

I guess at least for the inicial moment, it would be nice to have the Brazillian Channels.

But from another side, without the channels, i'll pratice a little bit more my english listening...

Edited by PHFeliciano, 02 September 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

70W is relatively low on the horizon (20.7 degrees) so you'll need either a tall East-facing apartment or roof access. In SF, this is a major problem as most of the town faces a hill or a number of tall buildings and bridges to the East (not to mention the hills overlooking Oakland).

As for the legality, only Claro TV Brasil and their providers know what their contracts dictate. AFAIK, the US has no laws prohibiting authorized reception.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

I guess at least for the inicial moment, it would be nice to have the Brazillian Channels.
But from another side, without the channels, i'll pratice a little bit more my english listening...

DISH has probably the best selection with eight channels and DIRECTV has a couple. The rest of the Bay Area is Comcast and I'm guessing they offer little or nothing.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,511 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

As for the legality, only Claro TV Brasil and their providers know what their contracts dictate. AFAIK, the US has no laws prohibiting authorized reception.

However there are plenty of laws banning unauthorized reception ... and if the Brazilian company is not authorized to sell their content (part or all) in the US it would be unauthorized reception.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Lyngsat shows "no" signal available from that bird at SLC, so probably nothing useable at San Francisco either, unless you have a 10 meter dish.

If you are going to maintain a home in Brazil, maybe a Slingbox is what yu need.

With local Cable TV in California, and a Slingbox from home, you can keep up with things in both locations.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Slingbox definitely the way to go if possible, depending on how your Internet connection at home works etc.

Also, in my years of being on the Net, I've generally found that whoever apologizes for their english generally writes better than the average American, and certainly better than the average American's command of a second language :)

spam firewall