Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM or dish problem?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

On my motorhome, I have a Winegard SK-3005 antenna. Originally it was a non-SWM setup and worked well with my 2 DVRs. I changed to a SWM so I could use both tuners on the DVRs. I have quadruple checked my installation with the SWM-8, power inserter and splitter but I get an error upon setup of the dish. Local channels and many of the upper channels come in but not all. I get a 771 error on those that don't display.

IMG_2032.jpg

Is this something in my installation or is the Winegard not working properly?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,082 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

What does it show for signal strength on 99c and 103ca/103cb? You'll get red x's if any reading is below 85, but you'll still be able to get a good picture with readings below that unless they're way below that.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Slice1900, on 99º©, every other is 0, the rest 33 or lower. On 103º(ca), 1-8 N/A, 9-16 every other 0 and the rest 34 or lower. On 103º(cb), 24 to 48.

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Did you remove the BBCs from the receivers?

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Did you have and possibly still have the BBCs in the coax ? If so, remove them from the SWM setup.

Edit: LOL, I just type too slow.

Edited by jimmie57, 02 September 2013 - 10:38 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

No, the BBCs have been removed. Coax from the splitters go to the F-fitting closest to the side of the DVR.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Did your receivers pick up the new satellite setup from Legacy to SWM ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I use the receivers at home, then move them to the RV when we camp. The home setup is SWM. The only difference is the RV dish is a Slimline 5 LNB and the home dish is a Slimline 3 LNB, if that makes a difference.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Slice1900, on 99º©, every other is 0, the rest 33 or lower. On 103º(ca), 1-8 N/A, 9-16 every other 0 and the rest 34 or lower. On 103º(cb), 24 to 48.

These numbers are a sign of a poorly aligned dish.

A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Is the dish level?

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Is the dish level?

The dish is supposed to be self-aiming. You power it up and it goes to work finding all the satellites.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Since 119W is coming through, we have to assume that the slant is correct. As VOS points out, the aim is poor and that suggests that you need to go through the elevation calibration procedure.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I will try it again in a different location and see if that helps.

#14 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

norwestie.

Can you share how you connected your SWM-8 switch to your antenna? I suspect this may be the source of your problem. Looking at the installation manual for your dish, I would connect all 4 coax connections from the SK-3005 to the SWM-8 inputs. Then take the line that goes to your controller and connect that to "Legacy 1" port on the SWM-8. (As you know, you cannot connect the controller to a SWM connection.) Then connect the SWM output to the line that goes to your receiver(s). This certainly seems worth a try,

Unfortunately, everyone else who has attempted to add SWM to an existing non-swm dome or automated dish has never come back to this forum and reported their results. This sort of gives the impression that they have all failed. So, having reliable information to pass along just is not here. But, if there is a chance for success, I think the connections I have suggested should work. 

Please, please let us know if this works or not.

Bob

#15 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Bob, I connected the 4 outputs of the dish to the correct 4 on the SWM-8. Then a cable from the SWM power inserter connection to the power inserter. The other connection went to the SWM 4 way splitter.

#16 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Bob, I connected the 4 outputs of the dish to the correct 4 on the SWM-8. Then a cable from the SWM power inserter connection to the power inserter. The other connection went to the SWM 4 way splitter.

So, what coax line did your run to your controller? That cannot be from the SWM output.

I may have mis-spoke on the legacy port being viable for your controller since some more reading makes it sound like the KA signals will not pass. And it is not clear if your controller uses the KA or KU signals for aligning on 99 or 103 or uses an identifier on 119. But, since D* made an ASL-1 splitter for meters like mine that is based on sat 101 and sat 119, it is my guess that this is similar to the technology Winguard is using in their controller.  Also, ads for the AIM meter further suggest that only D* has the technology to accurately read KA information leaving all other meters to use KU markers on these birds. This is why I think the legacy port should work with your controller. 

We need someone like VOS to fill in the blanks on this one. The only thing I know for certain is that your controller has no idea what to do with a SWM signal so it cannot get fed from the SWM feed.

I don't know if this helps or confuses. But, you are on ground that has been very slippery for those who have treaded here before. It would be really nice to get a success story from your experience.

Edited by BobStokesbary, 03 September 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Try this - From your PI 29 one goes to the swm 8 in connect a receiver to the out side of PI-29 and see if that changes anything. (or) do you have it connected that way to the Swm 4 way?

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#18 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

The Winegard controller? It has no coax connection. Just a supplied cable that goes up to the dish. The hookup is just like the diagram, except no Deca or ethernet. Also, somewhere I read that the two DVRs should be allowed to sync with the system separately, so I always plug one in the wait before plugging in the other receiver.

swm8-2dvr-deca.jpg

Edited by norwestie, 03 September 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

We need someone like VOS to fill in the blanks on this one. The only thing I know for certain is that your controller has no idea what to do with a SWM signal so it cannot get fed from the SWM feed.

I don't know if this helps or confuses. But, you are on ground that has been very slippery for those who have treaded here before. It would be really nice to get a success story from your experience.

I haven't been "hands on" with this dish, "but" it's my belief that the detectors and control is in the base, so the four coax from the base run to the SWM8.

I don't know if there is any fine tuning that can be done from the controller [again  no hands on], but if so that is what I'd play with as I monitor the Ka SATs.

A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

norwestie,

OK. My bad. I should have done a more extensive search. This manual (page 3) shows how Winegard says it should be installed. If you have done this and it still does not work, I would suggest that the next step is to call Winegard and ask them why their diagram does not work. Apparently, as VOS mentioned, the controller does not need to get a signal from the coax (as my old RV dish did).

I seriously hope this helps and appologize for giving you a bad steer on the earlier suggestion.

Bob

spam firewall