Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Upgrade Planning--Can One Splitter be at a Distance?

Genie Installation SWM Splitter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAF

BAF

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouth Pasadena, California

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Planning for Genie and SWM conversion and would appreciate (more) advice. Dish feeds to basement where PI would be located.  Unclear if SWM will be dish mounted or device in basement. Can I have splitter feed one line from basement to HR34 with hardwired Ethernet, and another line to second splitter upstairs to supply 2 Genie clients and one HR22? Many Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Estimate how many feet this "distance" is.

I am not an installer but I think that if a possible voltage drop is anticipated that you would use the 29 volt PI in place of the 21 volt for the SWM LNB.

If the SWM comes in the form of a SWM8 multi switch or a SWM 16 they use the 29 volt anyway and from what you state it could be close to the switch.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   BAF

BAF

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

The PI would be at most 20 feet from the Dish; I would defer the placement/voltage choice to the Directv installer. The distance between the 2 proposed splitters would be about 25 feet.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

That distance is not a problem at all.

My PI is about 35 feet from the LNB at the dish and one of my long coax cables runs around the back of the house and into a back bedroom.

This long coax is about 85 feet from the dish and 135 from the PI.

All works without any problems with the PI 21 volt.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,944 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

It doesn't matter where the splitters are, but there is a total number of feet of coax possible from the dish to each device, depending on how many splitters you have. One poster here created a spreadsheet you can plug this in, but basically I think it was 150 feet with an 8 way splitter, 200 feet with a 4 way, etc. Using two 2 ways is equivalent to a 4 way, and the effect is the same whether you had two 2 ways located 10 feet apart or 100 feet apart. You'd just need to make sure the splitter that's 100 feet away was still within spec.

So in your case, if you have a 2 way to split off the Genie, and a 4 way upstairs, that's equivalent to using one 8 way splitter and doing home runs to each device. You should be fine so long as the distance from the dish to the furthest upstairs device is under 150 feet of coaxial cable. I would assume it is unless you have a huge house or the dish is located well away from your house. You want to use the smallest splitters you can in a given location.

With the PI located in the basement with the Genie, so long as you are within spec with the splitters you'll be fine with the 21v PI it comes with. There's no need to 'upgrade' to a 29v PI, though some people in these forums like to do so "just in case" :) However, it only matters on extremely long runs, and even then probably only if you have substandard cable going to your dish that's copper coated steel rather than the solid copper that Directv recommends and uses for all their installs (for the rest of your wiring the cheaper CCS coax is fine)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   BAF

BAF

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Many Thanks for your help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, Installation, SWM, Splitter

Protected By... spam firewall...And...