Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anti-WHDVR / Anti-Cloud / SOD & RBAC (Genie vs. HDDVR, etc).

WHDVR Genie Cloud SWM LNB

Best Answer The Merg , 02 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

If you add DVRs to your account that would take you over 8 tuners, DirecTV automatically puts an order in for a SWM16. A tech would come out and replace the LNB with a legacy LNB and then run 4 cables down to the SWM16.

Another thing you can do to keep the other receivers from having access to the Genie or the Internet would be to use a Band Stop Filter (BSF). The BSF would prevent MRV and Ethernet traffic from going beyond wherever it is on a coax. You could isolate the DVRs for Whole Home amongst themselves and the Genie would be on the other side with access to the clients and the Internet.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Based on everything I know at this point, I agree with you, and that is the solution I am looking forward to. Those things are like $3 + shipping, which is drops in the bucket.
However, Considering DirecTV is sending me another HDDVR... That puts me at 7 tuners. If I get 1 more DVR, that'd put me at 9 tuners and force an LNB/Multiswich swap, and when that occurs, I can ask the tech if they have any of those little adapters on the truck.

That reminds me... I had to ask the tech for the 10 pin to A/V adapters that come with the clients today. He only gave me 2. Do they not come in the box with the units?
He also took out my barrel connectors from my wall plates (I found 1 in the Genie packaging, the rest are gone), so now I have ugly cables running through holes (in the wall plates). Oh well. I understand if he decided they would cause a problem, but really, he could've said something about it. I guess alternatively I could've said something about it, but I didn't notice 'til he was gone.

The tech might have BSFs on his truck. They A/V adapters for the clients are not included. You can get them for $10 from Solid Signal.

As for the barrel connectors in the wall plates being removed, that sounds like shoddy work. Did the tech run new cable through the wall plates from your splitters to the receivers?

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hold on again.. ;) There is no need to bother with a bsf, because your issue is you don't want the one dvr to be seen by the others correct? That's a simple setting inside the dvr. And it will leave internet access for on demand available if you did decide you wanted it at some point, but you wouldn't have to use it either. This would allow you to control it via an ipad still to, where as if you used a bsf, you wouldn't. Not that you would, its just there's no reason to use a bsf if its simply to isolate the recordings to the one dvr...Plus, should everyone else go on vacation for a week and you have the house to your self, you could change the setting back and have the recorded stuff everywhere for the week.. But it can only be changed at the dvr with the recordings on it.

I'd agree with that, but the OP did say that he didn't want the other receivers to have Internet access either. If that's the case and he doesn't want to use Parental Controls to prevent Internet access/PPV programming, then the BSF is the only viable solution at that point.

I personally would tell the Genie not to share so the HR2x won't see it and set Parental Controls on the HR2x to prevent Internet/PPV.

- Merg

#23 OFFLINE   HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSouthwest of Paradise

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hold on again..   ;)  There is no need to bother with a bsf, because your issue is you don't want the one dvr to be seen by the others correct?  That's a simple setting inside the dvr.  And it will leave internet access for on demand available if you did decide you wanted it at some point, but you wouldn't have to use it either. This would allow you to control it via an ipad still to, where as if you used a bsf, you wouldn't.  Not that you would, its just there's no reason to use a bsf if its simply to isolate the recordings to the one dvr...Plus, should everyone else go on vacation for a week and you have the house to your self, you could change the setting back and have the recorded stuff everywhere for the week..  But it can only be changed at the dvr with the recordings on it.

lol. I appreciate what you're thinking, but I think you missed my reply to carl6.
For me personally, the BSF is exactly what I am looking for, and a beautiful solution. I am looking to completely isolate one or more receivers (not clients) from the internet/network.

The tech might have BSFs on his truck. They A/V adapters for the clients are not included. You can get them for $10 from Solid Signal.

I will definitely be checking on the BSF's. Not that $3-$6 is a lot of money, but hey, it's money. I did not know the A/V adapters weren't included. The tech gave me 2 of them, so, hooray? Unless they show up on my bill, then less hooray...

As for the barrel connectors in the wall plates being removed, that sounds like shoddy work. Did the tech run new cable through the wall plates from your splitters to the receivers?

- Merg

The tech did not run new cables. He did put new compression ends on the pre-existing cables. He then put his barrel connectors on those cables, and made smaller cables to run to the Genie & each one of the clients.

OOOOHH, New Question time!
The BSF only strips the MoCA (or DECA, or whatever) signal from the cable, right? The rest of the transmission still stays in place? So, I can still use a Single Wire on the DVR's?
Whereas with my Stand-alone SWM idea, I was going to have to use 2 wires from the legacy ports.

That's all for me tonight. I have been told it is time to go to bed (and watch the new TV service). I will definitely be checking back here. Thanks to everyone, but especially The Merg for persistently answering questions, inkahauts for persistently trying to convince me to take off my tin foil hat, and carl6 for very thoroughly explaining how the devices have to be connected!

I'd agree with that, but the OP did say that he didn't want the other receivers to have Internet access either. If that's the case and he doesn't want to use Parental Controls to prevent Internet access/PPV programming, then the BSF is the only viable solution at that point.
- Merg

To steal a line I read before... "Bingo!"

Intermittent DirecTV customer since 1995.

Started service with a Single LNB 18" Dish (self-install) & 2 RCA DRD222RD's. Dunno what happened to the first one, but threw the other one away in 2012 because it was no longer grounded properly (quite a shock).

Today I have a SWM-LNB (for now), and leased (1) HR34, (2) C41's, and (1) HR22-100.

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,789 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

Well which DVR are you trying To isolate from who? Assuming you are isolating one DVR from the rest to keep out of the kids hands blocking Internet on it is useless IMHO which is all he's be doing with the bsf, unless he's trying to block Internet on he main system and only have it in his DVR. Then he'd need a separate DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit for just his DVR. If you don't want Internet acres on any I say just unplug the dang Ethernet cable. :)

Ill wait till I understand who you are trying to isolate from what.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#25 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

Well which DVR are you trying To isolate from who? Assuming you are isolating one DVR from the rest to keep out of the kids hands blocking Internet on it is useless IMHO which is all he's be doing with the bsf, unless he's trying to block Internet on he main system and only have it in his DVR. Then he'd need a separate DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit for just his DVR. If you don't want Internet acres on any I say just unplug the dang Ethernet cable. :)

Ill wait till I understand who you are trying to isolate from what.

The OP wants to isolate the DVR (or 2) from the rest of the house. The Genie can have Internent connectivity. If he plugs an Ethernet cable into the Genie that is going to give Internet access to all receivers. The BSF will allow him to isolate the DVR from the rest of his network and keep it off the Internet.

- Merg

#26 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,789 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

The OP wants to isolate the DVR (or 2) from the rest of the house. The Genie can have Internent connectivity. If he plugs an Ethernet cable into the Genie that is going to give Internet access to all receivers. The BSF will allow him to isolate the DVR from the rest of his network and keep it off the Internet.

- Merg

Yes I get that. What I don't get is why he wants to keep Internet access off the DVR am not the genie. Whole Home Service I get but the on demand I don't since if anything id think he'd want to keep that from the kids. Internet can hurt having it in all DVRs so I guess I'm jut trying to ins the reasoning.

#27 OFFLINE   HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Yes I get that. What I don't get is why he wants to keep Internet access off the DVR am not the genie. Whole Home Service I get but the on demand I don't since if anything id think he'd want to keep that from the kids. Internet can hurt having it in all DVRs so I guess I'm jut trying to ins the reasoning.

I'm a little curious/confused about your internet avoidance desires.

To break it down easily, it's a tin foil hat thing.

The Genie is in my living room. That is where my family and friends come to watch TV. I like the idea of that being connected to the internet (for now, at least...). The potential DVR is in my bedroom. There is no value to me of that being connected to anything else. There's no reason for the device in my living room to know what's in my bedroom, or vice versa. The only exception to this is that the clients have to know that the genie is there, or they can't operate.

Started service with a Single LNB 18" Dish (self-install) & 2 RCA DRD222RD's. Dunno what happened to the first one, but threw the other one away in 2012 because it was no longer grounded properly (quite a shock).

Today I have a SWM-LNB (for now), and leased (1) HR34, (2) C41's, and (1) HR22-100.

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,789 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

The Genie is in my living room. That is where my family and friends come to watch TV. I like the idea of that being connected to the internet (for now, at least...). The potential DVR is in my bedroom. There is no value to me of that being connected to anything else. There's no reason for the device in my living room to know what's in my bedroom, or vice versa. The only exception to this is that the clients have to know that the genie is there, or they can't operate.

Well if you can guarantee that you will never ever have any chance that you'll want to watch something from the genie in your bedroom the bsf will do I but I'd still just use the software and unshare the playlist in the bedroom and use the local only option for the playlist in the bedroom and then you can always flip a setting if you want but don't have too. Plus would let you use in demand if you ever needed to for any reason. Miss a show you then grab it via in demand for example.

Either way I think you know exactly what your options are now and I think you'll be happy either way as long as you get that DVR in the bedroom. Let us know if it works out good for ya! :)

#29 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

The Genie is in my living room. That is where my family and friends come to watch TV. I like the idea of that being connected to the internet (for now, at least...). The potential DVR is in my bedroom. There is no value to me of that being connected to anything else. There's no reason for the device in my living room to know what's in my bedroom, or vice versa. The only exception to this is that the clients have to know that the genie is there, or they can't operate.I'm in the

Our setup: HR44-700 + 3 clients, and HR24

I set up my system to do what you're trying to do. We have young kids that don't need to see the action/thriller/horror movies we watch, so we record them on our bedroom HR24 - which is set to NOT share it's playlist.

Yet, IF we do want to watch a recording from the HR24 down in the family room via the Genie (or clients elsewhere), I simply pull up the HR24 settings, share playlist, and watch. When done, I reset the sharing to off.

Manual, but don't need to change it more than once per day, so works well for us.

#30 OFFLINE   HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

inkahauts, you're correct, thanks.

CDJohnson25, thanks for your input. :-)

So, DirecTV sent me out an HR22-100 a couple days ago. I plugged it in, and it seems to be working exactly how I'd expect, but without the BSF.
When I opened the playlist it asked about sharing my playlist and I chose no, but otherwise, it seems to work the way I'd expect.

Do I still need a BSF for the HR22? I thought I read somewhere that certain receivers (like the D12, as one example) could be damaged by excessive voltage put out by Genie?

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,789 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

How did you connect your hr22?  Did you use a deca for it or just plug it into a ethernet cable going to a router?  if you used a deca, no, if you plugged it into the network and there's no deca on the coax, then yes, you need a bsf.

Glad you are liking it!  

#32 OFFLINE   HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

How did you connect your hr22?  Did you use a deca for it or just plug it into a ethernet cable going to a router?  if you used a deca, no, if you plugged it into the network and there's no deca on the coax, then yes, you need a bsf.

The HR22 has 3 cables connected to it. Coax, HDMI, and Power.

It'ss connected to the dish via a single Coax down to a wall-plate in my bedroom, which goes to a closet, which is connected to what I think is an 8 port splitter, which is where the Genie, Clients, SWM PI, and CCK are all connected to.

The HR22's ethernet ports (this one has 2) both have RJ-45 plugs in them (with no cables attached) I presume to keep out dust.

AFAIK, the HR22 is not on the internet/network right now.

My concern is whether or not having the HR22 connected directly to the same splitter as the Genie will cause it to have issues.

#33 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

The HR22 has 3 cables connected to it. Coax, HDMI, and Power.
It'ss connected to the dish via a single Coax down to a wall-plate in my bedroom, which goes to a closet, which is connected to what I think is an 8 port splitter, which is where the Genie, Clients, SWM PI, and CCK are all connected to.
The HR22's ethernet ports (this one has 2) both have RJ-45 plugs in them (with no cables attached) I presume to keep out dust.
AFAIK, the HR22 is not on the internet/network right now.
My concern is whether or not having the HR22 connected directly to the same splitter as the Genie will cause it to have issues.

If you don't have a DECA adapter connected to the back of the HR22 it needs a BSF. From your description, you don't have a DECA so you do need a BSF.

- Merg

#34 OFFLINE   HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

If you don't have a DECA adapter connected to the back of the HR22 it needs a BSF. From your description, you don't have a DECA so you do need a BSF.

- Merg

No DECA. Looks like another call to DirecTV.

If I were to obtain a DECA, I could use it as a BSF provided I didn't plug the ethernet cable into it, right? (Trying to remember what one of those looks like. I'm pretty sure it's exactly what I think).

#35 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yeah. You could use it that way.

- Merg

#36 OFFLINE   HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

A day late and dollar short, but I found this just now LOL.

http://forums.solids...disable-sharing

#37 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

A day late and dollar short, but I found this just now LOL.

http://forums.solids...disable-sharing

Basically what we've been telling you... :)

- Merg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WHDVR, Genie, Cloud, SWM LNB

spam firewall