Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need SWM with HD Receiver for Whole Home to Work?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

I need to replace an old Directv Tivo (so sad) receiver.  I have whole home set up for my other two HD DVRs through Ethernet connection to my network.  

When I replace the old receiver, I would be fine to just get an HD receiver and not a DVR as long as it can link into my network.  But I do not have Ethernet running to this room, just a single coax line.  Will this work as is, do I need SWM, or do I need to do something else?

Looking for a lower cost solution.  Don't need to fully upgrade my system with Genie or something.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

You can't mix them like that, it would need to be all DECA or all Ethernet. Without SWM, you wouldn't get an H25, so ethernet would work if you had a cable running to that room. But to get it connected without ethernet, you would need DECA and SWM.

Normal wifi can work, but I found it to be unreliable, particularly in one direction.

#3 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

That is what I thought.  I do not have  Ethernet in that room and would not be able to run to there without serious work.

With DECA does that mean that I need to hook my internet into one of the DECA units?  Is this easy to do or does this require profession installation?  Just talked to Directv and they are offering an HD DVR. Do I need SWM to use with only one coax?  Not interested in running anymore coax cables either.

Thanks.  Been a long time since I changed over my hardware.

#4 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

They also offered a Genie and 2 minis for $99 total.  Is it worth it to go to the Genie?  Since it is before the TV season, I may be willing to forgo my existing recordings if it is work it.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

They also offered a Genie and 2 minis for $99 total.  Is it worth it to go to the Genie?  Since it is before the TV season, I may be willing to forgo my existing recordings if it is work it.

Keep your DVRs anf forget the minis.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

You can't mix them like that, it would need to be all DECA or all Ethernet. Without SWM, you wouldn't get an H25, so ethernet would work if you had a cable running to that room. But to get it connected without ethernet, you would need DECA and SWM.

Normal wifi can work, but I found it to be unreliable, particularly in one direction.

I don't believe that is the case?

There should be no problem mixing DECA with Ethernet as long as the Ethernet network and the DECA network are connected together using a DECA adapter.

In my testing - trying to speed up my receivers - for a bit I had 2 HR24s on DECA and 1 on Ethernet without any trouble.

Have I lost my mind?  Possibly!

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

I could very well be wrong, I didn't think you could. Though in the TS's case, he couldn't use DECA with his current setup.

Though I do think mixing them would potentially cause issues and complexity in general, if it does work.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

Keep your DVRs anf forget the minis.

Agree'd the clients do have some lag and they'll take away a tuner from the Genie when in use and your current DVRs won't.  The only benefit the clients have is that you have complete control over the Genie from the client location.

If you do the Genie upgrade - hope for the HR44 rather than the HR34....  The HR44 is snappy, small, can do IR and RF remote simultaneously, can use a wireless connection to your Internet and has a separate 'brick' power supply to keep the HR44 cooler and allow you to replace the PS if it fails without have to replace the HR44 itself and losing your recordings.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

I don't believe that is the case?

There should be no problem mixing DECA with Ethernet as long as the Ethernet network and the DECA network are connected together using a DECA adapter.

In my testing - trying to speed up my receivers - for a bit I had 2 HR24s on DECA and 1 on Ethernet without any trouble.

Have I lost my mind?  Possibly!

You had already upgraded to 24s.

Earlier models would require bandstop filters to "coexist" with DECA.

A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,020 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

I could very well be wrong, I didn't think you could. Though in the TS's case, he couldn't use DECA with his current setup.

Though I do think mixing them would potentially cause issues and complexity in general, if it does work.

Correct;

From the TS' description, he has a legacy installation with WH over ethernet cabling. And he now want's to add a receiver to another room which only has a single coax line, but no ethernet one.

Best option here is to convert to SWiM and use DECA at least on the box in the new room and install a CCK at the router to reach the other receivers still on ethernet.

An "unsupported" setup of course 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Well, even if he went totally to SWM, if he did it himself, it will still be unsupported.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

You had already upgraded to 24s.

Earlier models would require bandstop filters to "coexist" with DECA.

Good point!

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Yep - he would need to do a new LNB and at least 1 DECA Adapeter depending on what he does with the receivers....

#14 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

OK.  Thinking of getting the Genie and skipping the minis.  Minis were free along with the Genie, but if they don't really add anything no reason not to keep my existing DVRs. So it comes down to the following to replace my dead receiver:

Genie for $99 or

HD DVR for free

Thinking if I go with the Genie, then anything else required to get all of my DVRs to talk to each other will be on the shoulders (and cost) of Directv installer.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Thinking if I go with the Genie, then anything else required to get all of my DVRs to talk to each other will be on the shoulders (and cost) of Directv installer.

Right choice.  The tech will upgrade to SWM and install whatever is needed to get your WHDVR network up and running

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Agree'd the clients do have some lag and they'll take away a tuner from the Genie when in use and your current DVRs won't.  The only benefit the clients have is that you have complete control over the Genie from the client location.

If you do the Genie upgrade - hope for the HR44 rather than the HR34....  The HR44 is snappy, small, can do IR and RF remote simultaneously, can use a wireless connection to your Internet and has a separate 'brick' power supply to keep the HR44 cooler and allow you to replace the PS if it fails without have to replace the HR44 itself and losing your recordings.

Any way to influence what you get?

#17 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Any way to influence what you get?

Only way to guarantee what you get is to buy it from Weaknees or Solid Signal (or some other authorized DTV Reseller).

You could order the Genie from DTV, and when the installer shows up ask for an HR44, and if he doesnt have one - tell him you want to delay the install until the HR44 is available and refuse the install for that date.

Also - you can definitely mix Ethernet and DECA.  I've done a few different setups myself:

1. With the older HR2xs (HR20,21,22,23) there are two Ethernet ports on the back of each receiver.  On one of the receivers you can plug a DECA to Ethernet connection in and plug an Ethernet connection into the other connecting to your network and the HR2x will bridge the two - I don't recommend this because it didn't seem to work perfectly for me.  The DTV installer is the one who did it - I wouldn't have tried this otherwise.  But it does work - if you don't want to buy the CCK.

2. Use the CCK to bridge your Ethernet network to the DECA Network.

3. If you get a Genie you can bridge the networks by plugging the Genie into Ethernet (or WiFi in the case of the HR44 if you want) and it has a built in DECA adapter.

If you don't have Ethernet and don't have SWM so no DECA in the room that needs it - you could also try other types of network adapters like PowerLine which will ride your home's electrical wiring.  Some of the newer PowerLine models claim very high speeds (The low end models claim 200Mbps, they also have 500Mbps and Gigabit models).  You would need two of them to be able to connect your DVR to your network (one at your router's end, one at your DVR's end.

Edited by LiQiCE, 03 September 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

1. With the older HR2xs (HR20,21,22,23) there are two Ethernet ports on the back of each receiver.  On one of the receivers you can plug a DECA to Ethernet connection in and plug an Ethernet connection into the other connecting to your network and the HR2x will bridge the two - I don't recommend this because it didn't seem to work perfectly for me.  The DTV installer is the one who did it - I wouldn't have tried this otherwise.  But it does work - if you don't want to buy the CCK.

There is no HR20 with two active Ethernet ports.

The second port on the 21-23 shouldn't be used as it isn't supported and can cause problems [as you seemed to have found].

The second port has been removed on the 24 which should be a sign as to why not to use those with them.

A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

There is no HR20 with two active Ethernet ports.

The second port on the 21-23 shouldn't be used as it isn't supported and can cause problems [as you seemed to have found].

The second port has been removed on the 24 which should be a sign as to why not to use those with them.

Ah its been awhile since I had an HR20 - can't remember what it looked like ;)

Using the 2nd port did work - it just seemed to be very slow - I think using both may have bogged down my already sluggish HR23, agree though this isn't ideal - but could be a short term solution while you wait for a CCK to arrive or another solution.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#20 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Have a Genie and installation scheduled for next week.  I am expecting the installer will be able to do what is needed to get whole home working.  Here is what my setup will be:

HR20

HR23

Genie

Room 1:  2 coax and ethernet

Room 2:  2 coax and ethernet

Room 3:  1 coax (no ethernet) - If I have to live with one tuner in this room I can do that.  Not very interested in running another cable if I don't have to.

Thanks everyone for all of the help.  Nice to have such valuable resources available.

Edited by heiber, 04 September 2013 - 08:17 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...