Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need SWM with HD Receiver for Whole Home to Work?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

Using the 2nd port did work - it just seemed to be very slow - I think using both may have bogged down my already sluggish HR23, agree though this isn't ideal - but could be a short term solution while you wait for a CCK to arrive or another solution.

Your system was bogged down since the CPU has to handle the bridging between the two Ethernet ports as the HR23 doesn't have an internal switch. That's why it was not a recommended solution.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Have a Genie and installation scheduled for next week.  I am expecting the installer will be able to do what is needed to get whole home working.  Here is what my setup will be:

HR20

HR23

Genie

Room 1:  2 coax and ethernet

Room 2:  2 coax and ethernet

Room 3:  1 coax (no ethernet) - If I have to live with one tuner in this room I can do that.  Not very interested in running another cable if I don't have to.

Thanks everyone for all of the help.  Nice to have such valuable resources available.

With a Genie install, you will be converted over to a SWM system, which means that you only need one coax per receiver. If you are going to keep the 2 DVRs and the Genie, you will actually get a SWM16 installed. You will keep your legacy LNB and will have four wires coming from the dish to the SWM16. From the SWM 16, you can connect the PI right there to the dedicated power port. Off of one ofthe SWM16 outputs, you would have the Genie and off the other output you will probably have a 2-way splitter that is used to feed the two HR2xs. If the Genie will be where you have Ethernet, you can then just plug an Ethernet cable into the Genie and will be set up with Internet to all of your receivers. If the Genie will not be where there is Ethernet, you will also need to have a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) installed. In that case, your 2-way splitter will probably be a 4-way splitter and the tech will use the second coax to one of the rooms to hook up the CCK.

- Merg

#23 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

I'll put the Genie in one of the rooms with the Ethernet.  Either the HR20 or HR23 will go in the room with one coax.  So I will get 2 tuners through the one cable there?

Also curious, what is "PI"?

And are the installers always stocked with everything they need or do I need to call and make sure?

#24 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'll put the Genie in one of the rooms with the Ethernet.  Either the HR20 or HR23 will go in the room with one coax.  So I will get 2 tuners through the one cable there?

Also curious, what is "PI"?

And are the installers always stocked with everything they need or do I need to call and make sure?

SWM stands for Single Wire Multiswitch. The idea is to allow the use of multiple tuners through one cable. It's really the only way a Genie could exist. Can you imagine having to run 5 cables to the Genie to allow all 5 tuners to work? :)

The PI (Power Inserter) is basically the power supply for the SWM16 (or SWM-LNB).

The tech should have everything that he needs with him. As long as they know that you will be keeping both DVRs and adding the Genie, the system should automatically generate an order for the SWM16.

Just be advised that even if you put the Genie where there is an Ethernet connection, the tech might insist on installing a CCK. Just go with the flow. After the tech leaves, you can remove the CCK and plug the Ethernet cable directly into the Genie and reboot it. If you get a HR44 and the tech insists on using its wireless capability, just go with the flow. After the tech leaves, you can just plug in the Ethernet cable and reboot the Genie.

HTH,

Merg

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

PI is power inserter. And, yes, you're correct on the wiring. Installers don't always have everything, but should have what is needed for this install.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Have a Genie and installation scheduled for next week.  I am expecting the installer will be able to do what is needed to get whole home working.  Here is what my setup will be:

HR20

HR23

Genie

Room 3:  1 coax (no ethernet) - If I have to live with one tuner in this room I can do that.  Not very interested in running another cable if I don't have to.

Thanks everyone for all of the help.  Nice to have such valuable resources available.

The SWM system only uses 1 coax per receiver / DVR / Client.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

Ah its been awhile since I had an HR20 - can't remember what it looked like ;)

Using the 2nd port did work - it just seemed to be very slow - I think using both may have bogged down my already sluggish HR23, agree though this isn't ideal - but could be a short term solution while you wait for a CCK to arrive or another solution.

Actually, it did not work as you saw with your system getting bogged down, or at least I should say it didn't work right.  And that is the point and reason to not do that.

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

HR20

HR23

Genie

First off, If I where you, as soon as you get the genie, I would move all my recordings to it and stop recording programs on the other units unless you have to do to conflicts, but since you will have more tuners in the genie than you had before with the other two, this shouldn't be an issue...

Now, as for the rest, I disagree to a certain extent with others suggestions. I would replace the other two dvrs with clients, or at least one of them.   However, I would do it in stages, which you can still easily do even with what you already have setup.  After you are up and running, Id watch all your content on one of the dvrs, probably the hr20 first, and then id deactivate it and get them to simply send you a client to replace it.  You will get to keep the hr20 so it can be an emergency backup if you ever need it.  And then depending on how you are using your systems and such, if you can find yourself not ever needing to record anything on the hr23, id do the same with it, clear it off and deactivate it and get another mini.  One reason is power consumption, another is heat. (that hr20 ius crazy power hungry.  You mentioned money as a consideration, Its amazing how much less power you consume every month with a genie client than an hr20, which can in some cases be a big $savings.  2 being replaced would be even bigger.)  But really, in the end, ease of use has a big impact.  Total control for all dvr functions and one unified to do list, series manager etc trumps pretty much everything else that some say makes keeping a hr better.  The big thing so many here push against a genie system is if the genie goes down your system goes down.  I can see someone wanting one non client in their system and keeping it active simply as a backup in the least used location.  But even better, IMHO is simply having a backup dvr unactivated waiting to go into service at a moments notice, hence why I mentioned you'd have a hr20 in the wings waiting.  Of course, you can still do all that at some point if you want to and it wont make a bit of difference in what your having done with the install next week.

That's just my two cents, but I would not summarily dismiss moving to clients over time, especially for the hr20.   ;)

Let us know how it goes with the upgrade!

#29 OFFLINE   georgewells

georgewells

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationHayden,Idaho

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

I have Whole Home with my HR34. All of my sets are connected to the internet. When I bring up the List on the 3 sets with DVRs they all show everything that exists regardless of which set recorded it. On my H24-100 it does not show everything that is on the list like the other 3 sets do that have DVR's. Is the reason the same list does not show on the H-100 is because it is not a DVR ??

Thanks  --  George

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Does the H24-100 show some of the lists? What is missing? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#31 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

I have seen this from time to time depending on boot order and at times internet (router) connectivity at the time. Step one try to just go into network settings on the H24 and just connect to internet with its existing settings. Wait a few minutes and see if the missing content shows.

If not you may need to determine which unit is lacking in the list and do the same network resetting on it.

If that fails reboot the unit that isn't showing in your list.

There is a "network" of polling and inter unit communication on a port other than the one content is served on. Sometimes this interaction just doesn't work right and redoing the network settings, or rebooting awakens that handshake.

Don "lather rinse reboot" Bolton

I have Whole Home with my HR34. All of my sets are connected to the internet. When I bring up the List on the 3 sets with DVRs they all show everything that exists regardless of which set recorded it. On my H24-100 it does not show everything that is on the list like the other 3 sets do that have DVR's. Is the reason the same list does not show on the H-100 is because it is not a DVR ??

Thanks  --  George

Does the H24-100 show some of the lists? What is missing? 

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,602 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

. Installers don't always have everything, but should have what is needed for this install.

They are supposed to have everything and if they dont, they have to get it. this is not an excuse to not do the job

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

However, I would do it in stages, which you can still easily do even with what you already have setup.  After you are up and running, Id watch all your content on one of the dvrs, probably the hr20 first, and then id deactivate it and get them to simply send you a client to replace it.

what you say, "stages" in DirecTV's "eyes" in considered as multiple upgrades.  if the TS do not get what he wants now, he may have to pay for them later.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

HR20

HR23

Genie

Everything is set up and installed.  The good news, I got an HR44.  The bad news, the installer did not have everything he needed for the SWM and had to come back the next day.  Here is what he did:

Room 1;  HR20 with 1 coax for the receiver and 1 for the DECA

Room 2:  Genie with1 coax for the receiver and 1 for the PI

Room 3:  HR23 (moved it from room 2 to room 3)

Also got him to leave both the RF and regular remote.  My receiver is an enclosure and I had the HR23 remote set to RF.  Based on what I have read, I have to use the new (different) remote if I want to use RF for the Genie.  Too bad because it would be nice to have the same remote configuration for all 3 receivers.

Anything else I should know?  BTW, the HR44 does seem like a very nice piece of equipment and the performance is remarkably faster than the other boxes.  The slow performance has been by far my biggest annoyance with Directv.

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Correct, the HR44 will only work with the RC71 for RF

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Everything is set up and installed.  The good news, I got an HR44.  The bad news, the installer did not have everything he needed for the SWM and had to come back the next day.  Here is what he did:

Room 1;  HR20 with 1 coax for the receiver and 1 for the DECA

Room 2:  Genie with1 coax for the receiver and 1 for the PI

Room 3:  HR23 (moved it from room 2 to room 3)

Also got him to leave both the RF and regular remote.  My receiver is an enclosure and I had the HR23 remote set to RF.  Based on what I have read, I have to use the new (different) remote if I want to use RF for the Genie.  Too bad because it would be nice to have the same remote configuration for all 3 receivers.

Anything else I should know?  BTW, the HR44 does seem like a very nice piece of equipment and the performance is remarkably faster than the other boxes.  The slow performance has been by far my biggest annoyance with Directv.

If the DECA in Room 1 is a Cinema Connection Kit (an Ethernet cable from it goes to your router), you can forgo it by plugging an Ethernet cable directly into the HR44. If you do disconnect it, be sure to put a terminator cap on any splitter output that the coax going to the CCK was on. You don't say it, but the HR20 should also have a DECA unit behind it with an Ethernet cable going from it to the HR20.

- Merg

#37 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'll have to look to see what he did.  This is what the installer described to me but I haven't looked yet.  He said the second cable in room 1 was where he patched into the ethernet.

spam firewall