Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? Here's how you can help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

If you're experiencing freezing or pixelation issues on your Genie, post a description here. Also, do a keyword search for SENDREPORT -- this will give you the opportunity to send a report to DIRECTV engineers. I can't guarantee it will help, or that they'll even see the reports, but if you do that and post the report here I'll try to get the attention of the right people.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sportman13

sportman13

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Stuart

I have channels freezing and pixelation when chaning channels or sometimes going to chane a channel  I called   told DirectTV the first time  DirectTV step by step me  through their typical script of useless troubleshooting procedures their is Nothing  the matter with  installation like dish misalignment, cabling, multiswitches I had a supervisor out to exachange my first DVRHD34 this is my second one  I did not call back yet   this time what should I tell DirectTV get a receiver or is it the software only  what do I tell DirectTV  please get back to me please ?

#3 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

Since the lateset firmware, I have had a couple of instances where recorded programs will randomly freeze, as if they are paused, but the status bar shows it still playing.  If I FF a couple of seconds I can continue to play, but just hitting play doesn't do anything.  This is very random (doesn't happen on all recordings, and thankfully I haven't experienced it on live tv yet).  I have never experienced this with my HR34 before the latest firmware was updated.

#4 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 173 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Live TV seems to like to randomly freeze. Pressing FF does nothing, but if I hit pause, I can see in the progress bar that the TV programming is still there and can FF back to live. Really weird. It's like it's detecting a phantom pause button press, but doesn't behave like a normal pause would.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#5 OFFLINE   yanksno1

yanksno1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationBoynton Beach, FL

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

One issue I seem to be having, is occasionally the previous, pause/play, fast/rewind buttons seem to stop working after a while. If I press channel up, they start working again. Anyone else?

Lets Go Yankees!!!!

#6 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 512 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

This is how Directv could and should help...

leave firmware testing to professionals not amateurs. There is no reason this should be happening AGAIN. Its like the same ol from the HR20's years ago.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Ultimate Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#7 OFFLINE   neckhardt

neckhardt

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

I have been having this problem since the last firmware upgrade on recorded shows. I was starting to think the hard drive was starting to fail since it does not appear to happen on live TV. I have had the same show record on all three of our DVRs and only the Genie has the faulty recording.

Symptoms are heavy pixelation with stuttering sound and possibly total freeze of the show. It is possible to fast forward past the problem.

Edited by neckhardt, 05 September 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Was watching TV last night from my HR34 (x740 firmware) & C31 and having multiple freezing issues going on for about the 2 - 3 hours I was watching.  They were all shows that were still recording but watching from DVR.  While watching the shows it would just freeze for a few seconds and then continue about every 5 - 15 minutes or so but very noticeable where my wife even said what's going on and did get very annoying.  Also had the pixelation issues when the freezing would happen sometimes also but the bigger issue was the freezing.  Remote response seemed a little non-responsive at times also when FF or whatever.  I'll try to send a report tonight when I get some time.

#9 OFFLINE   dukebadgerman

dukebadgerman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

I have a Genie, an HR44/200 with the 0x7 update which came 3 weeks ago.  Every five days or so the live picture freezes.  If I change the channel, it works for about 30 seconds and then it freezes.  Last week, the picture froze at 12:29 a.m. (sportscenter has that clock on the screen) but it successfully recorded two shows while it was frozen.  So it is just freezing on playback?

#10 OFFLINE   dukebadgerman

dukebadgerman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have a Genie, an HR44/200 with the 0x7 update which came 3 weeks ago.  Every five days or so the live picture freezes.  If I change the channel, it works for about 30 seconds and then it freezes.  Last week, the picture froze at 12:29 a.m. (sportscenter has that clock on the screen) but it successfully recorded two shows while it was frozen.  So it is just freezing on playback?

#11 OFFLINE   Ed_Roch

Ed_Roch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

How can I find out date of last firmware upgrade?  Had a number of issues with freezing and pixulation last spring, had tech out, he did a few things was much better for a couple of months until the last couple of weeks now getting much worse again.  Am wondering could these times when it's got worse be the same times when firmware was upgraded??  So wondering what the upgrade dates may have been??

#12 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Last night (Sept 12) my 2 month old HR34 (latest software) froze.  I was able to watch my current program but could not change channels.  The guide would come up but not able to enter a channel number.  Have seen a few cases over the past few days of pix and quick searching for signal (1-2 seconds)

Required a red button reset.

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,618 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

How can I find out date of last firmware upgrade?  Had a number of issues with freezing and pixulation last spring, had tech out, he did a few things was much better for a couple of months until the last couple of weeks now getting much worse again.  Am wondering could these times when it's got worse be the same times when firmware was upgraded??  So wondering what the upgrade dates may have been??

Firmware on the Genies is easy: Just go to Settings, Settings and the version and number are there. For clients, I see only the version, so if you post that, someone may be able to give at least an approximate date.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 ONLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,692 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

I'm noticing random pixelation on my new HR34.  I'll see it happen while using both the Genie and my mini-Genie.  It's very random, and does not seem to be weather related as it's happened on cloudless days/nights.

It 'feels' like a HD issue.  It happens during live programs as well as while watching recorded programs.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#15 ONLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,692 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

Because my C31 is in the room where my computer is, I sent a report from here first, thinking I'd send another from my HR34 next.  The HR34 is telling me to wait an hour before I send another report.  Should I send another if I sent it from my C31?

My report #: 20130922-28E2

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#16 OFFLINE   Racerbob66

Racerbob66

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have random pixelation and freezing while watching recorded program on my HR34 since the last
firmware upgrade. I tried sending an error report but keep getting an "error 9". It's really annoying. I tried all of the usual troubleshooting procedures. I dread calling DTV and going through "the script".

#17 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,727 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

HR34-700
20130926-2A2A

As usual, the problem only occurs on recordings made on WNBC channel 4 in NYC. Tonight it happened on Revolution at 8pm est. A backup copy made on another dvr did not have any of these issues.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#18 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Is there  fix in the works for this?  We're now seeing lots of 'pix' during playback through home network.  genie is HR34.

#19 OFFLINE   Robert L

Robert L

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hr44-500

I see quick breakups and glitches quite often watching recordings.  This report was send while watching a local Fox channel. It happens quite often but I don't see it on the HR24's.  It appears to happen on any channel.

Report -  20131001-2624

Software 0x741

3- HR20-700, 2-HR24-500, Native on, 5- Networked (wired), FIOS, Slimline dish, Swm-16,HD receiver for music
Various displays & projectors, using HDMI

#20 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:53 AM

No pixelation problems but random freezing on both recorded and live viewing. Sometimes the screen goes black while froze and sometimes not. FF does nothing. I've found if I hit the skip I will hear a brief moment of sound but stil no picture but if I hit the skip several times in a row it will eventually go back to normal! Makes no sense to me. I'll post a report next time it happens. This is happening on an HR34 running 0740.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...