Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? Here's how you can help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

Ed - hold down the Info button till the info you want (SW version and date of install) pops up.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ilovfriday

ilovfriday

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

I am having a pixilation issue as well, it's happening on multiple receivers for me as well as a few co-woekers, neighbors and family that lives across the state.  The issues does not seem to only affect one channel or and also occurs on live or recorded TV.  DirecTV claims there is no known issue but given the number of people I personally know having the problem I doubt it. I am days about from switching service because my HR34 is experiencing this problem so much that most of my shows are not watchable.  I have included a sample video of what I am experiencing below, in this particular 30 minute show it happened 14 times.  Some of the shows I watch are not on HULU or VOD so I am having to buy them on iTunes - at this point I am starting to think that might a better option all around... HR-34 700,  0x740, Tue 8/27, 3:50a, Problem report 20131007-45FF

Edited by ilovfriday, 07 October 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Unfortunately, I'm now experiencing pixelization and freezing too. Just tried to watch my recording of the Amazing Race from 10/6 and it was unwatchable. What is going on?

I have an HR34 running 0x740.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

HR23, HR24, HR34

#24 OFFLINE   EmilG

EmilG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'm seeing the described behavior only when playing back recordings of a basketball game. Seems they run down the floor and breakup/pixelation. I wonder if it has anything to do with processing power since there is alot to decode when they are moving?

Panasonic P65VT30
Panasonic L42E50
HR34, C31

#25 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

On current National Release / HR34.

Pixelation just started on the most recent NR Firmware. Will not bother describing it as it already well known what it looks like. Have seen it happen multiple times in same program, but not more than 2-5 times per show, unlike others who are reporting up to 14 times in a show.

Many times unit will not respond to commands, just freezes. This is not new.

At end of playback, unit locks up to 30 seconds before asking delete or not. This is not new either.

Live Programming often freezes, but I have noticed this is very often in the :59/:01 or :29/:31 area where new recordings are starting / old recordings are ending. This is not new either.

All these show up on multiple HR34s.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 08 October 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   ilovfriday

ilovfriday

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

This problem has to end; it's useless for me to have DirecTV at this point. The problem is just that bad.

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Just, wow.

Post #1 gives you instructions on how to help gather Data to help fix the problem, but it seems all people want to do is complain. I guess the idea of a peer support forum is kind of done.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm seeing the described behavior only when playing back recordings of a basketball game. Seems they run down the floor and breakup/pixelation. I wonder if it has anything to do with processing power since there is alot to decode when they are moving?

This really indicates to me the TV monitor may not have the processing power to handle the mass of pixels that are constantly changing. If you set to record another game in the next few days, post it here and I will record it too for comparison. 

What TV? Which DVR?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

I constantly have freezing and pixilation on recorded and live shows on many different stations. This has been happening for a few weeks now. I also have a new TiVo Roamio Pro I use to record all shows except those I only have on DirecTV. I can watch the same show on the TiVo (with Comcast cable) and the HR44-500; the TiVo plays back great, the HR44 has these issues.

Software is 0x741, Wed 9/25, 4:19a

SENDREPORT 20131007-3B0C

#30 OFFLINE   ilovfriday

ilovfriday

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Just, wow.

Post #1 gives you instructions on how to help gather Data to help fix the problem, but it seems all people want to do is complain. I guess the idea of a peer support forum is kind of done.

I've already gathered data as instructed. I can be pissed off that this problem exists, that DirecTV failed to properly QA their software, and that no fix is provided and that phone techs deny an issue exists. People have been complaining on message boards since they were invented ya know.

#31 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

I know a few people in my neighborhood with HR34's and have seen how they are set up from A-Z. Signal strengths are all very good also. They have freezing issues also and actually one of them took early termination fees over accepting such terrible service. How Directv can get away with this is beyond me.

Furthermore every single subscriber with freezing issues has the right to complain about this. Just because he/she did not detail every single bit of information here or send a report to Directv, does this allow those to be attacked here over and over again! My better half had this issue with the HR20's way back and I suffered the expense of that early termination. Your best bet people is forget making a complaint here because obviously it has not helped your cause. Phone Directv over and over and over until finally somebody gets the picture! BTW test monkeys QA their firmware, in case you did not know.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Choice Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#32 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

There is a consequence to calling Directv repeatedly and actually it is good. You will be flagged and all calls will go to "case management" and they are the ones you really want to talk to...they will help you greatly!

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Choice Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#33 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

HR44/700 on 744 fw
Report 20131009-1EC7

Picture breaks up, pixelates, audio hiccups, pixelates itself back to normal. Repeatable when I RW. Report sent within minutes of the breakup. No weather issues.

#34 OFFLINE   Robert L

Robert L

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

HR44-500

0x741

Report - 20131009-29F6

Still have random breakup with video on a lot of recorded shows.  This report is send after HR44 video froze 2 minutes before end of show.  American Horror Story, on FX.   The way it froze was like top half was a different frame than bottom.  Maybe the box is having problems handling 5 tuners.

3- HR20-700, 2-HR24-500, Native on, 5- Networked (wired), FIOS, Slimline dish, Swm-16,HD receiver for music
Various displays & projectors, using HDMI

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

There is a consequence to calling Directv repeatedly and actually it is good. You will be flagged and all calls will go to "case management" and they are the ones you really want to talk to...they will help you greatly!

Could not another consequence be that one is flagged for being a problem customer, and hence not eligible for great deals come upgrade time? And it does cost everyone else money each time a call is made. Probably less than .0000001%, but it does add up. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#36 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

I would guess that Picture Quality is a priority issue with DirecTV, and that ultimately they welcome calls and posting/sending reports from the HRs.  PQ has always been an issue of pride for Directv, and has helped them competitively.  IMO competitors like fiber and cable have improved their PQ in recent years, so DirecTV likely places a high priority on getting this fixed!   

#37 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

20131010-2F05

HR34-700 0x740 minor pixilation during Tigers/A's game on TBS.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#38 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

Laxguy, on 10 Oct 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Could not another consequence be that one is flagged for being a problem customer, and hence not eligible for great deals come upgrade time? And it does cost everyone else money each time a call is made. Probably less than .0000001%, but it does add up. 

Ummmm never had that issue getting a deal. I only dealt with case management once and they went above and beyond to get the issue solved to my liking.

#39 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

I don't see this problem on the HR44 (knock on wood)  Or is this mainly 34's?  Is it locals or national channels or both?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#40 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

I'm seeing this issue only with my HR34 and so far only with my local CBS station (both Survivor and the Amazing Race from this week).

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

HR23, HR24, HR34

spam firewall