Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? Here's how you can help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

When you search on your DVR for SENDREPORT, you have the option of a Keyword Search.

Not working.....couldn't find SENDREPORT

...what does "with the issue."  mean?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

When you search on your DVR for SENDREPORT, you have the option of a Keyword Search.

Not working.....couldn't find SENDREPORT

...what does "with the issue."  mean?

#53 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

...found it....way too hard.  It's doing remote logging.  Gives you a number on the screen and then tells me to provide this number to DTV...What?

I'll just write this off as another wait and see until DTV comes out with a firmware or new machine.  In the mean time, we'll adjust our DTV bill accordingly until the problem is fixed.  (Lack of playback feature)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by VaJim, 11 October 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,988 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Please understand that it's supposed to be hard, it's supposed to be something you don't accidentally find. Please post the number that it gave you on the screen here, and a DIRECTV Engineer will review the case.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#55 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Please understand that it's supposed to be hard, it's supposed to be something you don't accidentally find. Please post the number that it gave you on the screen here, and a DIRECTV Engineer will review the case.

Thanks Stuart

I'll have to do it again.  I didn't understand the part of writing anything down.  I thought my machine was sending a report to DTV and they would fix it.  I must be dreaming.  The real problem IMO begins when DTV remains in denial.  With the number of people reporting the problem, something must be up.

Anyway...I'm going to do some trouble shooting....I want to confirm that the problem is with the HR34.  I'm going to delete the recording info (mgr) from the HR34 and then re-enter it on one of the HR21's and see if that does anything. 

#56 OFFLINE   LarryS

LarryS

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

Have experienced several cases of pixelation that appears like someone is forwarding and reversing the image really fast for 4-5 seconds. Mostly happens in recording of local channel sports events. Event repeatedly occurs over 20+ times in a recording. Occurrences happen over Sept and continue in October.
HR34-700 firmware 0x740
Send report 20131013-1f46

Panasonic plasma 42px60u
Sony LCD 60W610B

Onkyo NR616
HR-34-700
WET610N Wireless n connected to switch to DECA
AT-9 slimline dish w/SWM lnb
Roamio
HR-24-500 HDMI
Panasonic LCD TCL32C22
MRV

#57 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

OK.....I shifted the recording (local CBS) over to our HR-21.  I then played it back across the network and viewed on the HR34 and it works fine.  So IMO the problem is with the HR34 recording ...local CBS....?  Not sure how or why that's possible. 

If you have another machine on your network, try the recording there and then play it back on your Genie (HR34) and see what it does.

Also...this morning I tried to force (02468) an update.  I have the 0740 on the HR-34.  All it did was download the 0740 again.  Why?

• jennis2613 likes this

#58 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

What version were you expecting?

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#59 OFFLINE   Mike 204

Mike 204

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Had my HR34-700 Since April and the freezing/pixellation has been an intermittent but ongoing option.  I was faked out for the first month or so thinking it was a signal strength problem with the satellite that transmitted the Las Vegas locals since my problem seemed to be NBC and CBS.   Then I did some tests and realized it was a playback-only problem, watching the live feed is fine.  I've been calling tech support doing the usual set of resets etc, to no avail.  Plus they say there is no evidence of anyone else having this problem!  I record Leno, Letterman and Fallon every night and 9 times out of ten one of them is largely unwatchable due to a pixellating freeze-frame that finally skips ahead after 20 seconds.   My suspicion is the hard-drive, or the hard-drive writing software is defective.  Whatever the problem is, I want a new box and they don't want to give me one.  Currently awaiting a call from engineering at which time I will refer them to this thread.  Tech support doesn't seem to acknowledge that DBStalk exists.

#60 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,719 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Also...this morning I tried to force (02468) an update.  I have the 0740 on the HR-34.  All it did was download the 0740 again.  Why?

Jim, 

It's really a bad idea to force downloads without knowing what is in the stream, what to look for and what to avoid. There're reasons for this, but I don't have time to go into them. 

Also, note you can delete entire posts in case of duplicates and such. 

Good luck- sorry I don't have a direct answer for your machine glitches. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#61 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

What version were you expecting?

0744....no big deal..thanks

#62 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Jim, 

It's really a bad idea to force downloads without knowing what is in the stream, what to look for and what to avoid. There're reasons for this, but I don't have time to go into them. 

Also, note you can delete entire posts in case of duplicates and such. 

Good luck- sorry I don't have a direct answer for your machine glitches. 

Thanks

no big deal on the force download.  I ususally don't get into that type of thing, but the way the HR34 has been acting, I was desperate.  A couple of weeks ago it did get me 0740.

I just wanted to posted my experience about HR34 playback.  Evidently it's 'fairly' common. 

#63 OFFLINE   tivoreno

tivoreno

AllStar

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Freezes on OTA content, live or recorded, esp when viewed on C31 clients and always when the weather map goes up on the local news. Sometimes pausing or instant replay will recover a watchable experience. Other freezes happen after 20-30 minutes of watching live TV. Sometimes instant replay will recover, other times the only thing that returns the picture to watchable is to change the channel and return. Of course, this dumps the buffer.

Report All: 20131014-1CD9

#64 OFFLINE   dpreilan

dpreilan

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

For what it's worth, I am having the freezing on live and recordings on my HR24.
Don't seeing it on my HR20. However, watching at HR24 recordings on the HR20, I see it.

#65 OFFLINE   btedford

btedford

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

When I called into DirecTV about it, they just replaced my Genie and now I'm not having an issue with the freezing.

#66 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

When I called into DirecTV about it, they just replaced my Genie and now I'm not having an issue with the freezing.

what model (HR34 or HR44) did you have.  Do you also have the protection insurance?

#67 OFFLINE   btedford

btedford

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

HR44 and yes I do have the protection plan.

#68 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

HR44 and yes I do have the protection plan.

I guess I should have asked what you started with?  a HR34 or HR44?

#69 OFFLINE   btedford

btedford

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

HR44

#70 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:17 AM

HR44

Thanks

I'm wondering if anyone has gone from a HR34 to a HR44 (DTV swap out) because of the problems described here?

#71 OFFLINE   btedford

btedford

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

They kicked me higher in the chain to Case Management and they said that they have seen my issue occur when it's a failing hard drive.

#72 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

I have not called DirecTV yet, but I am also seeing this issue, and like 2 other people's posts, I am only seeing this on shows recorded from my local CBS station (Ch 4 - Mpls/StP) and only on my HR34

It seems to be worse when I am recording 4 shows at the same time, less when it's only 1 or 2.  My Genie is in my theater rack, so I have not yet checked to see if it happens live or not.

I have designated the Genie for all network broadcast shows, I use my HR24(?)s for all the "cable" shows, so I can not guarentee that it is only CBS/4. But I have not had a single issue with any other network (ABC/NBC/FOX/WB), even on hows that were recorded at the same time as the CBS show (on the same Genie).;

Edited by RobInMN, 18 October 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have not called DirecTV yet, but I am also seeing this issue, and like 2 other people's posts, I am only seeing this on shows recorded from my local CBS station (Ch 4 - Mpls/StP) and only on my HR34

It seems to be worse when I am recording 4 shows at the same time, less when it's only 1 or 2.  My Genie is in my theater rack, so I have not yet checked to see if it happens live or not.

I have designated the Genie for all network broadcast shows, I use my HR24(?)s for all the "cable" shows, so I can not guarentee that it is only CBS/4. But I have not had a single issue with any other network (ABC/NBC/FOX/WB), even on hows that were recorded at the same time as the CBS show (on the same Genie).;

Please run the report Stuart asked for and post the number and info here.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#74 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Report#:

20131019-3B96

BTW, my specific model is:HR34/700

Software Version: 0x740, Wed 8/21, 2:53a

BTW, I recorded part of a football game on CBS this afternoon while watchnig the Iowa vs Ohio State game, and when I played it back, it was fine. go figure.

#75 OFFLINE   pakrnut

pakrnut

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

I have a HR-34-700. I have experienced both freezing of the TV picture as well as the receiver being non-responsive to the remote control since 0x740. I was hoping that 0x744 would resolve but it seems to have gotten worse. Send report ID: 20131019-32DE. Details:

1. Freezing - picture stays frozen for around a 10-15 second period. This has happened on live shows as well as recordings.
2. Non-responsive to remote - At times, the receiver does not respond to certain commands. The ones I have noticed are all D-pad functions including the select button, play/pause/rewind/stop and the number pad. This problem seems to happen everytime I use the double-play feature. Oddly, menu and info buttons continue to work. To see if this was remotes related, I tried different remotes - IR, RF, different models and two different remote apps - same results.

Edited by pakrnut, 19 October 2013 - 05:44 PM.

• elcid likes this
GO PACK GO!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...