Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? Here's how you can help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

This has been an ongoing problem with my 44. Three updates have failed to resolve the issue. Freezes and pixelation occur with almost every recorded program I watch.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have a 34 and I noticed some major stuttering in the picture while watching a recording of Modern Family from our local ABC affiliate.  It was pretty much unwatchable.  I've noticed this a little bit on USA Network as well, but not nearly as bad as it was in the recording from ABC.

#43 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Just, wow.

Post #1 gives you instructions on how to help gather Data to help fix the problem, but it seems all people want to do is complain. I guess the idea of a peer support forum is kind of done.

OK...add my name to the list.  HR-34...most of the pix comes from watching a recorded show 9am local ...same results during playback on the 2 other HR-21's.

Word search for "SENDREPORT' gives me lots of results.  All I want to know is DTV working on this?  Should I call them?

#44 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

A Keyword search should only yield one result, a screen that lets you send a report. Calling DIRECTV isn't going to help much... posting that report code will get your information straight to Engineering.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

A Keyword search should only yield one result, a screen that lets you send a report. Calling DIRECTV isn't going to help much... posting that report code will get your information straight to Engineering.

a Keyword search where?  This forum, google...? 

#46 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

#47 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

#48 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

#49 ONLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

a Keyword search where? This forum, google...?

In the smart search function of the DVR with the issue.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#50 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

When you search on your DVR for SENDREPORT, you have the option of a Keyword Search.

#51 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

When you search on your DVR for SENDREPORT, you have the option of a Keyword Search.

Not working.....couldn't find SENDREPORT

...what does "with the issue."  mean?

#52 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not working.....couldn't find SENDREPORT

...what does "with the issue."  mean?

#53 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

...found it....way too hard.  It's doing remote logging.  Gives you a number on the screen and then tells me to provide this number to DTV...What?

I'll just write this off as another wait and see until DTV comes out with a firmware or new machine.  In the mean time, we'll adjust our DTV bill accordingly until the problem is fixed.  (Lack of playback feature)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by VaJim, 11 October 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Please understand that it's supposed to be hard, it's supposed to be something you don't accidentally find. Please post the number that it gave you on the screen here, and a DIRECTV Engineer will review the case.

#55 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Please understand that it's supposed to be hard, it's supposed to be something you don't accidentally find. Please post the number that it gave you on the screen here, and a DIRECTV Engineer will review the case.

Thanks Stuart

I'll have to do it again.  I didn't understand the part of writing anything down.  I thought my machine was sending a report to DTV and they would fix it.  I must be dreaming.  The real problem IMO begins when DTV remains in denial.  With the number of people reporting the problem, something must be up.

Anyway...I'm going to do some trouble shooting....I want to confirm that the problem is with the HR34.  I'm going to delete the recording info (mgr) from the HR34 and then re-enter it on one of the HR21's and see if that does anything. 

#56 OFFLINE   LarryS

LarryS

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

Have experienced several cases of pixelation that appears like someone is forwarding and reversing the image really fast for 4-5 seconds. Mostly happens in recording of local channel sports events. Event repeatedly occurs over 20+ times in a recording. Occurrences happen over Sept and continue in October.
HR34-700 firmware 0x740
Send report 20131013-1f46
Panasonic plasma 42px60u
Sony STR-DE925
HR-34-700
WET610N Wireless n connected to switch to DECA
AT-9 slimline dish w/SWM lnb
Harmony 880
HR-24-500 HDMI
Panasonic LCD TCL32C22
MRV

#57 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

OK.....I shifted the recording (local CBS) over to our HR-21.  I then played it back across the network and viewed on the HR34 and it works fine.  So IMO the problem is with the HR34 recording ...local CBS....?  Not sure how or why that's possible. 

If you have another machine on your network, try the recording there and then play it back on your Genie (HR34) and see what it does.

Also...this morning I tried to force (02468) an update.  I have the 0740 on the HR-34.  All it did was download the 0740 again.  Why?

• jennis2613 likes this

#58 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

What version were you expecting?

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#59 OFFLINE   Mike 204

Mike 204

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Had my HR34-700 Since April and the freezing/pixellation has been an intermittent but ongoing option.  I was faked out for the first month or so thinking it was a signal strength problem with the satellite that transmitted the Las Vegas locals since my problem seemed to be NBC and CBS.   Then I did some tests and realized it was a playback-only problem, watching the live feed is fine.  I've been calling tech support doing the usual set of resets etc, to no avail.  Plus they say there is no evidence of anyone else having this problem!  I record Leno, Letterman and Fallon every night and 9 times out of ten one of them is largely unwatchable due to a pixellating freeze-frame that finally skips ahead after 20 seconds.   My suspicion is the hard-drive, or the hard-drive writing software is defective.  Whatever the problem is, I want a new box and they don't want to give me one.  Currently awaiting a call from engineering at which time I will refer them to this thread.  Tech support doesn't seem to acknowledge that DBStalk exists.

#60 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,642 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Also...this morning I tried to force (02468) an update.  I have the 0740 on the HR-34.  All it did was download the 0740 again.  Why?

Jim, 

It's really a bad idea to force downloads without knowing what is in the stream, what to look for and what to avoid. There're reasons for this, but I don't have time to go into them. 

Also, note you can delete entire posts in case of duplicates and such. 

Good luck- sorry I don't have a direct answer for your machine glitches. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...