Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? Here's how you can help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#176 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 818 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

I started getting the no signal on Tuner 2 message yesterday afternoon around 3PM Central time while watching live TV.  Shortly after that, the picture on the HR 44-500 froze up.  Since I've been down this road before, as soon as I saw the message, I went to the signal strengths page and saw that just about every transponder in 101 was 0 on all tuners.  I was getting 0's on the other satellites as well.  After running through the meters for a couple of minutes, everything went back to it's normal numbers on all my tuners/transponders.

Like I mentioned in the issues post, it's almost like something goes awry and knocks out all the tuners.  Since I heard no screaming from anyone else in the house that was watching TV in other rooms, I'm assuming it was just the HR44-500 that had the issue.

Edited by Getteau, 09 December 2013 - 11:08 AM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#177 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 818 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

The wife is getting ready to throw the 44 out the window and told me to go complain on that satellite blog.  Tonight's recording of "The Sing Off" was unwatchable at 7PM and then the "Criminal Minds" recording at 8 was corrupt.  The duplicate "Criminal Minds" recording from HR21-700 is fine.

Come on Direct-TV, get this fixed.

No report since I've already sent two and I didn't catch it in the act this time.

Lucky me.  As I was reading the forums it froze again.  The same channel is fine on my HR24.

Report 20131211-26FB

Edited by Getteau, 11 December 2013 - 09:09 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#178 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

I was beginning to think the issue, at least on my end, had been solved since I haven't had any freezes or pixelazation issues in several days.  And then this evening it happened on several channels like H2 and one other channel I never watch so I've forgotten the name.  Not NBC like usual.  It's fine for now.

The more people that report this and the continued silence from DirecTV is beginning to make me think it's not necessarily a software issue but something hardware related, local to our installations.  Y'know, there was a news story about a cableco in North Carolina having issues with one particular channel because the cable box was unshielded and getting interference from Verizon LTE phones.  Very specific set of circumstances — you had to have it tuned to WRAL specifically and have a Verizon LTE phone nearby transmitting something.  

I have a VZW LTE device and toyed around with transmitting lots of data near the box and the splitter/converter doohickeys that are strewn everywhere but got nothing.  After all, the B-band converter does bring some of the sat. signals down to the same frequencies used by LTE, which is former TV spectrum in the 700 MHz band.  If not the phones, maybe it's public safety.  The 700 MHz band is now open to that use as well and my local county is deploying a 700 MHz digital trunked system.

Eh well, it's a thought!

#179 OFFLINE   CeeBee

CeeBee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

I have had occasional pixelation on the HR34 for months.  In the last few days a new problem has started.  The picture on recordings freezes within the first 2 minutes, but the sound continues.  The recorded time shows as a full recording, but it's impossible to move beyond the frozen picture point.  So far, both problems - pixelation and freezing - have only occurred on local channels, but it's occurred on all the major local affiliates - ABC, CBS, and NBC.

Today, one of the Genie Clients started freezing on the local channel I was watching, but I was able to REW or FF to move it.

These problems began after the new Sports category was added to the Search and Browse screen.  I also lost Pandora and YouTube temporarily after that addition.  I'm wondering if my current problems are related?

Report # 20131212-2A4D   

#180 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

I am posting in the 79E forum as well just in case those who need to see this do.

Two frozen recordings.  One last night.  Sent report 20131213-26EB.  One this morning, report 20131214-5FB.

This is happening everyday for several days, then it goes away for several days.  Then it comes back.  I have 79E since Thursday morning.

#181 OFFLINE   iacas

iacas

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Two frozen recordings.  One last night.  Sent report 20131213-26EB.  One this morning, report 20131214-5FB.

I think reports only matter if you follow up with a call so they know why you sent the report…?

Erik J. Barzeski
Personal Blog | Golf Site

My Equipment:
HR20 hooked to Sony 60" HDTV, Pittsburgh Locals, HD Package
HR21 hooked to a Vizio 37" HDTV in the bedroom[/size]

#182 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,571 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think reports only matter if you follow up with a call so they know why you sent the report…?

No, generally not. In fact, I suspect calls of that nature only cost time and money on the part of DIRECTV®.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#183 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

I did follow up with a call and the CSR stated they know of no such issue with the Genie.  He did take the time to have me do a systems test and verify sat/tuner signal levels.  He also took the report numbers.  Did not offer any assistance beyond that.

#184 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

I did follow up with a call and the CSR stated they know of no such issue with the Genie.  He did take the time to have me do a systems test and verify sat/tuner signal levels.  He also took the report numbers.  Did not offer any assistance beyond that.

Amazing

#185 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Amazing

There is a reason behind which I can't say

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#186 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

There is a reason behind which I can't say

I'm going to guess the reason is D* won't admit to having any problems because if they did, their customers might have a legal reason to break their 2 year contract and go with some other vendor.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x099c
DirecTV since 1997

#187 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm going to guess the reason is D* won't admit to having any problems because if they did, their customers might have a legal reason to break their 2 year contract and go with some other vendor.

nope, not that

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#188 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Posted in 79E thread also, just in case.

Frozen live TV after watching a recorded show.  One happened on 12/14 and one just happend.  Reports are 20131214-7E3 and 20131216-15C8.

#189 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,980 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Folks,

I am working on a Google form that will let you submit this stuff more easily. Thanks for being patient.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#190 OFFLINE   Mike 204

Mike 204

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

I've been griping and nagging DirecTV by phone and e-mail on this issue since I received my HR34-700 in April.  Last week they finally sent me a replacement unit, also an HR34-700 and guess what?? This one does it too!!  Freezing and pixellation, playback only, and so far only local CBS and NBC shows.  Same recording on bedroom HR22 is OK.

This is a systemwide hardware or software bug that the company must face up to and fix. I think a recall is in order.

#191 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,980 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

A recall is not in order nor is it necessary. This is not a hardware issue. I am working with DIRECTV Engineering and they are well, well aware of the problem.

#192 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,980 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'm closing this one with a request that you continue in the new thread with the Google form.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...