Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No return kit received after activation of new receiver..so what if....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

So I activated my HR44 over 3 weeks ago and at the time the Protection Package person said that deactivating my HR34 would cause a return kit to be generated and sent out to me....well its been over 3 weeks and no return kit and the receiver is no longer on my account.....so my questions is this...

if i never receive the return kit, what happens if i dont call D but give the receiver to a friend to use on his D or if i sell it on ebay or comething of the like?  Would the other person be able to activate it?  Its still D's property, and its not from an account thats in default, so why couldnt the new person activate it on their account?  or could they?  for the sake of argument, please dont bring up "an account can only have one genie.." just assume that the person does not have a genie at present. 

so what would happen?  would they refuse to activate it because it was never returned to them first?  or would they just go ahead ansd activate it and charge the other person a 2 year commitment and possible extra receiver fee? 

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

DirecTV won't activate the HR34 on another account - it's leased and linked to your account until you return it

If you don't return it, they will charge you the non-return fee and you still won't be able to transfer the HR34 to another person

Email or call them and ask about the status of the return box

#3 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

DirecTV won't activate the HR34 on another account - it's leased and linked to your account until you return it

If you don't return it, they will charge you the non-return fee and you still won't be able to transfer the HR34 to another person

Email or call them and ask about the status of the return box

Thats fine, I just was curious....I actually would rather put it in the street and run it over with my car several times, but I think before I do that I will contact them and ask the status of the return box.  Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,767 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

So I activated my HR44 over 3 weeks ago and at the time the Protection Package person said that deactivating my HR34 would cause a return kit to be generated and sent out to me....well its been over 3 weeks and no return kit and the receiver is no longer on my account.....so my questions is this...

if i never receive the return kit, what happens if i dont call D but give the receiver to a friend to use on his D or if i sell it on ebay or comething of the like?  Would the other person be able to activate it?  Its still D's property, and its not from an account thats in default, so why couldnt the new person activate it on their account?  or could they?  for the sake of argument, please dont bring up "an account can only have one genie.." just assume that the person does not have a genie at present. 

so what would happen?  would they refuse to activate it because it was never returned to them first?  or would they just go ahead ansd activate it and charge the other person a 2 year commitment and possible extra receiver fee? 

Thanks

You're kidding? Right!

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

I had a similar delay when I upgraded a couple months ago to a Genie. I emailed D* via the website, had a email in 24 hours apologizing for the oversight and had a recovery kit on my doorstep 24 hours after that.

Definitely get on it, they will charge you for that box if they don't get it back. Then you are fighting for a recovery kit and getting your bill corrected.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#6 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

ya i called them and they of course had no idea why the original kit was never sent, but they sent another one out yesterday supposedly.

Edited by dtrell, 05 September 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,821 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

It took 3 weeks for a return kit to show up at my house.   That was with just the initial call.

#8 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

One time years ago when I got a new receiver, the installer told me that the old one was mine to keep or sell, even though I had leased it originally.  I assumed he was wrong and kept it in a box.  Cleaning out the attic a few months ago I decided to try to sell it.  I called DirecTV to ask whether I could sell it, and I recorded my call.  They said that I could in fact sell it.  They told me to take out the ID card.  It was an R15.  I put it on craigslist for $25 and never got a call about it.

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

As I have learned the hard way, never, never, never take seriously what an entry level CSR says about the use of a given box on another account.

The only opinion that matters is the activation departments. 

The activation department personnel will even acknowledge that you have been misinformed by another department, and will apologize, but they will not under any circumstance activate a 'hinky' box.

Even if the original misinformation causes a customer to switch to DISH.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

As I have learned the hard way, never, never, never take seriously what an entry level CSR says about the use of a given box on another account.

The only opinion that matters is the activation departments. 

The activation department personnel will even acknowledge that you have been misinformed by another department, and will apologize, but they will not under any circumstance activate a 'hinky' box.

Even if the original misinformation causes a customer to switch to DISH.

I believe the term your looking for is the Access Card Team.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

from DirecTV's Lease Agreement

Thank you for choosing DIRECTV! This Equipment Lease Agreement (ELA) has important terms and conditions regarding your lease of equipment from DIRECTV. By "equipment," we mean the DIRECTV Receiver, Genie Mini Client(s), Wireless Video Bridge, access card, and/or remote control (not the dish and/or cabling). You received the DIRECTV Customer Agreement with your DIRECTV Order Confirmation. The Customer Agreement, together with this ELA, comprise the terms of your service agreement with DIRECTV. Please be sure to read and keep copies of both. They are also available at www.directv.com/legal.

You understand and agree that you did not buy the equipment, do not own the equipment, and must use and return the equipment as explained in your service agreement with DIRECTV. You have no right to sell, give away, transfer, pledge, mortgage, alter or tamper with the equipment.

PART ONE:
Part One of this agreement only applies to new customers or to our existing customers who decide to upgrade or add an additional DIRECTV Receiver(s) or Genie Mini Client(s)  to their account. If you received this agreement in connection with simply replacing like for like Receivers/Genie Mini Clients (e.g., standard definition for standard definition, HD for HD), please skip to Part Two below, which applies to all customers.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,821 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

from DirecTV's Lease Agreement

Thank you for choosing DIRECTV! This Equipment Lease Agreement (ELA) has important terms and conditions regarding your lease of equipment from DIRECTV. By "equipment," we mean the DIRECTV Receiver, Genie Mini Client(s), Wireless Video Bridge, access card, and/or remote control (not the dish and/or cabling). You received the DIRECTV Customer Agreement with your DIRECTV Order Confirmation. The Customer Agreement, together with this ELA, comprise the terms of your service agreement with DIRECTV. Please be sure to read and keep copies of both. They are also available at www.directv.com/legal.

You understand and agree that you did not buy the equipment, do not own the equipment, and must use and return the equipment as explained in your service agreement with DIRECTV. You have no right to sell, give away, transfer, pledge, mortgage, alter or tamper with the equipment.

PART ONE:
Part One of this agreement only applies to new customers or to our existing customers who decide to upgrade or add an additional DIRECTV Receiver(s) or Genie Mini Client(s)  to their account. If you received this agreement in connection with simply replacing like for like Receivers/Genie Mini Clients (e.g., standard definition for standard definition, HD for HD), please skip to Part Two below, which applies to all customers.

So with that highlighted text, what are consumers supposed to do when Directv will not send a return box because they don't want the equipment back?

Can't give away or transfer it and would that not apply to putting it out in the trash?

A dilemma for the Directv legal folks I suspect.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

So with that highlighted text, what are consumers supposed to do when Directv will not send a return box because they don't want the equipment back?

Can't give away or transfer it and would that not apply to putting it out in the trash?

A dilemma for the Directv legal folks I suspect.

Good question, which  we know the answer.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall