Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help wiring SWM16

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

So I had a SWM 16 put in a couple months ago when I got a genie.  I have 3 DVRs and a genie.  I move boxes and cables when football comes so I have have tvs in basement.  well last time Directv was out they moved a lot of wires and cant figure out what goes where. 

where can the cables that go out to the boxes be located?  on the channels 1-8 and 9-16 only?  the middle one says DC power so can I use that one?  the channel 1-8 has one cable to it and it runs to the genie.  then there is a splitter on the 9-16 and runs to a 4 way.  that 4 way is full.  I wanted to add a cable or two to run to spot that I will have tvs.  leave them all connected so I don't need to mess with the cables,  just the boxes. 

Any ideas where I can throw these other two cables?  do I have to split the channel 1-8 one also.  just asking cause there is a whole lot of unused stuff on this swim 16 and didn't know.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

You could replace the 4-way splitter with an 8-way splitter.  Just remember that all unused splitter ports should have a terminator on it, whether it's on the splitter or on the far end of the cable.

• The Merg likes this

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#3 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

so the only place to put cables out to boxes is on the channel 1-8 and channel 9-16?  either way i will need another spiltter.  i have some old ones but not sure they are "up to code" . 

I used to not have the lines capped off.  what would happen if they arent?  currently i have two line running to nothing but waiting on tvs. 

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

The SWM1 and SWM2 ports are the only ones you want to use. If you are not moving the Genie and just the other receivers, I would switch the 4-way to an 8-way as recommended by bakers12. That way you keep the same number of tuners on each side of the SWM16 (each side can only handle 8 tuners). If you are moving the Genie as well, add in a 2-way splitter off of SWM1 and be sure to hook up the Genie to the cable coming from that splitter when you move it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

If the OP keeps the cables, that go to the locations where the DVR's will be moved from, connected to the splitter, how will he need to terminate those cables?  Would he need a barrel connector and then a terminator on the opposite side of the barrel connector?

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

If the OP keeps the cables, that go to the locations where the DVR's will be moved from, connected to the splitter, how will he need to terminate those cables?  Would he need a barrel connector and then a terminator on the opposite side of the barrel connector?

I think he wants to run cables from the splitters to a location that won't usually have a DVR there. So he will have wall-plates that have no receiver connected to them, but on the other end they will be connected to the SWM16. A terminator needs to be placed on the connector at the wall-plate.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

The one other thing I can think of that would make things easy is that the OP leaves the current splitter as is and mounts another splitter there with the new cable runs. After the receivers are moved to the new locations, the old splitter is disconnected from the SWM16 and the new one is connected. This means that only one cable needs to be changed over and there is no need to mess with terminators. It this situation though, if the PI is currently connected to the old splitter, it might be good to connect it to the Power Port on the SWM16 as then it is not being disconnected and reconnected.

- Merg

#8 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

I think he wants to run cables from the splitters to a location that won't usually have a DVR there. So he will have wall-plates that have no receiver connected to them, but on the other end they will be connected to the SWM16. A terminator needs to be placed on the connector at the wall-plate.

- Merg

yes.  this is correct.  i run them and then will move the receivers to this point and hook them up and then close off old connections.  mostly do this during football and march madness.

#9 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

The one other thing I can think of that would make things easy is that the OP leaves the current splitter as is and mounts another splitter there with the new cable runs. After the receivers are moved to the new locations, the old splitter is disconnected from the SWM16 and the new one is connected. This means that only one cable needs to be changed over and there is no need to mess with terminators. It this situation though, if the PI is currently connected to the old splitter, it might be good to connect it to the Power Port on the SWM16 as then it is not being disconnected and reconnected.

- Merg

your last comment about the power port.  i dont fully understand.  are you saying to connect it to the middle port on the swm 16 that reads power?  currently it runs on a cable out towards receivers and is plugged in and then is split to two other receivers.  I will try to get some pics of what this looks like.

#10 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1378324891.365610.jpg ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1378324917.115001.jpg ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1378324931.981182.jpg

The first photo is the SWM.the genie is the top cable going to the 9-16 channels. the second is the one splitter i have coming off of it, the 3rd is the monstrocity that is the whole god awful set up. i laugh whenever i look at it.  . 

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Edited by bhigh8, 04 September 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

You should have a small black box somewhere off of the bottom output of the splitter in photo 2 (the one with the red line going to it). That is a Power Inserter and is used to power the SWM16. The PI can be plugged directly into the power port on the SWM16, if desired.

- Merg

#12 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

You should have a small black box somewhere off of the bottom output of the splitter in photo 2 (the one with the red line going to it). That is a Power Inserter and is used to power the SWM16. The PI can be plugged directly into the power port on the SWM16, if desired.

- Merg

do you recommend then that i get a 8 way splitter or put a 4 on the other port?  and where can i get a splitter like the ones directv uses.

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

do you recommend then that i get a 8 way splitter or put a 4 on the other port? and where can i get a splitter like the ones directv uses.

No. My recommendation was to get another splitter to which you connect all the new cables. The PI is connected directly to the power port on the SWM16. When you move the receivers to their new location you would then disconnect the original splitter from the SWM16 and connect the new splitter.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

No. My recommendation was to get another splitter to which you connect all the new cables. The PI is connected directly to the power port on the SWM16. When you move the receivers to their new location you would then disconnect the original splitter from the SWM16 and connect the new splitter. - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

The only problem with this is, I thought the TS described having three DVRs on the SWiM-16's SWM 2 output 4-way splitter, yet wants two additional spare lines from the SWM 2 output for moving satellite boxes. Which I take to mean he wants to move two of the three DVRs back and forth.

If he switches splitters this way how is the third DVR going to get signal?

Unless he buys an additional 2-way for SWM 1 and moves the third DVR to the same side of the -16 as the Genie.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

The only problem with this is, I thought the TS described having three DVRs on the SWiM-16's SWM 2 output 4-way splitter, yet wants two additional spare lines from the SWM 2 output for moving satellite boxes. Which I take to mean he wants to move two of the three DVRs back and forth.

If he switches splitters this way how is the third DVR going to get signal?

Unless he buys an additional 2-way for SWM 1 and moves the third DVR to the same side of the -16 as the Genie.

Yeah I want to be able move them back and forth. At least one until I can get a 5th receiver or a client. So I can run a splitter on the genie and a cable or two to one port if that's a better way to break it up.

I can only have 8 tuners on each port? Is that correct?

#16 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Also do I still need the cck? Would it make sense to get rid of it even if I don't?

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yeah I want to be able move them back and forth. At least one until I can get a 5th receiver or a client. So I can run a splitter on the genie and a cable or two to one port if that's a better way to break it up.

I can only have 8 tuners on each port? Is that correct?

If you are only moving one back and forth right now, put that DVR on its own SWM port and the Genie on the splitter with the other DVR. Just be sure that you have no more than 8 tuners off of one SWM port. As for the CCK, you can go without it if you can plug an Ethernet cable into the Genie.

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,886 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

with the TS's set up, he can only move one DVR to the SWM1 or move two (or 3)  and set them up with single tuner.  anything else beyond this, will go over the 8 tuner limit on each SWM output port

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

If you are only moving one back and forth right now, put that DVR on its own SWM port and the Genie on the splitter with the other DVR. Just be sure that you have no more than 8 tuners off of one SWM port. As for the CCK, you can go without it if you can plug an Ethernet cable into the Genie.

- Merg

Where can I get an 8 way or 4 way splitter that will meet directv standards. I have some old ones but the numbers are different.

#20 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Where can I get an 8 way or 4 way splitter that will meet directv standards. I have some old ones but the numbers are different.

You want the Green Label Directv SWM splitters like this:

8-way - http://www.solidsign...ku=874409002084

4-way - http://www.solidsign...ku=185463000832

You may be able to find it cheaper from Amazon or eBay too.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...