Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help on Genie upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bww

bww

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

I am eligible for a free upgrade under the protection plan to a Genie. I current have 3 HR24s. At first my plan was to replace one of the HR24s with the Genie and keep the other 2 HR24s. This would require me to go to a SWM16 from the current SWM8.

I am not sure if having a SWM 16 is more negative than keeping the SWM8 since I don't know enough abut it. At our home it is only my wife and I and we have never used more than about 25% of any DVR, nor have we ever had any recording conflicts, so we would not miss the 3rd DVR.

My question is would it be better to only keep one HR24, then have a Genie, and a Genie Client so I could stay with the SWM8?

Thank you
Genie HR44-500, C41-700, HR24-500, GenieGo, SWM8, WholeHome + Internet, 1 AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

It's really a preference thing. If you go over 8 tuners and get the SWM16, the tech will replace the SWM-LNB with a legacy LNB and run 3 additional cables down to where you have the SWM16 installed. 

If you don't have a need for 9 tuners and are fine with 7 tuners, you might just want to do your second option (Genie, mini, HR24). Since there are only 2 of you, if the wife is using the mini, you will still have 4 tuners available on the Genie, plus the 2 tuners on the HR24. IMHO, I think the latter option is probably the easiest and best for you. You will have plenty of storage space according to what you posted and plenty of recording tuners. If the Genie goes down, you'll still have the HR24 so you can still watch TV until the Genie is repaired.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   bww

bww

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Merg,
Thank you for the quick reply....what you say sounds like it would fit us perfectly!
Genie HR44-500, C41-700, HR24-500, GenieGo, SWM8, WholeHome + Internet, 1 AM21

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

No problem.

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

. . . .

My question is would it be better to only keep one HR24, then have a Genie, and a Genie Client so I could stay with the SWM8?

Thank you

No. Definitely no!

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

No. Definitely no!

Depends on the OP's use of that third TV. If it's in a bedroom that is barely used or in a kitchen with very limited space, a client might be appropriate. He states that he has no issues with recording conflicts with 6 tuners and no issues with space. With a Genie, HR24, and a client, he would have the same amount of recording space and gain a tuner.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

No. Definitely no!

Im sorry, but to many people think genie clients are the wrong way to go, when in his case that solution is absolutely perfect for him.  there is zero reason not to cut back to two dvrs, in fact he could probably cut back to one and run one genie, and two minis, or one genie, one mini, and one h25 in case of failure. Id go two clients if he owned either of his other dvrs so failure would never be an issue.  Genie clients make organizing and control so easy, and based on what he was talking about with disk usage and conflicts, a genie and clients would take care of all his needs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...