Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Up-Graded to Genie, what to do w/used drive?

Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paladin369

Paladin369

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Greetings, up graded to a Genie from a HR24 I think,  and I used a Seagate 1500Gbytes external drive for storage. Don't need it anymore the 1TB on Genie is enough for now. The QUESTION, has anybody had success using those drives on a PC for Back-ups? Really do not want to throw it out.

Thank you for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Yes you just have to make sure the jumpers on the drive are set to either "cable select" or "slave" and you have to format the drive with the PC. With that said i would not go diving in with a screw driver just yet... Directv will probably want it back at some point even if a rep or a tech told you the dont want it... That's if its not a owned box of course.

Edited by Old_School, 04 September 2013 - 06:59 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

The OP said that the1.5Tb drive was an external, so no need to worry about sending it back with the box.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

Yes you just have to make sure the jumpers on the drive are set to either "cable select" or "slave" and you have to format the drive with the PC. With that said i would not go diving in with a screw driver just yet... Directv will probably want it back at some point even if a rep or a tech told you the dont want it... That's if its not a owned box of course.

I think the drive is probably SATA and not PATA so it wouldn't need to be set to Cable Select or Slave.  If its an external drive - you should be able to hook it up via USB (if the drive you own has USB) or eSATA.  If your PC doesn't have eSATA you can buy an eSATA card for your PC relatively cheap from newegg.com or amazon.com

Also - I don't think Directv would want the External drive back as it isn't their property.  Unless the OP put the drive inside the HR24 and doesn't have the original drive anymore.

Short answer - YES you can use it on your PC so long as you can connect it to the PC (via USB, eSATA, FireWire etc).  You'll need to format it in Windows (or MacOS) and then you'll be good to go.

Edited by LiQiCE, 04 September 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

and a side note, one drive for back up is not enough.  if you really want to protect your PC files, better to get RAID.  I just went though this.  my back up drive failed, unfortunately I was able to recover the files using software.  So now I have a RAID enclosure and  have 2 drives with the same copy.  if one fails just swap it and keep going....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hard drive

Protected By... spam firewall...And...