Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 Genie DVR stops responding to remote

HR44 Remote

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pemberto

Pemberto

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

Just got a new HR44 Genie whole home DVR. The problem is that the DVR stops responding to the remote. The remote is new with new batteries. The green light continues to flash and controls the tv fine. I have found if you press the guide button on the front of the DVR, all of the remote button presses will play all at once. After this, the DVR responds again to the remote.

Dtv has replaced the DVR once and the new one behaves exactly the same way as the old one.

Am I missing something?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Are you setup with IR or RF the remote?

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,921 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Be sure the remote control is in RF mode.

If you still have problems, block the front of the HR44 completely.  Cardboard will do.  Put it right up against the front panel.

If the remote then works fine, you have IR interference.  The HR44 will respond to IR even when the remote is sending RF.  I wish we could turn off IR reception but can't.

#4 OFFLINE   Pemberto

Pemberto

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

It is setup in IR mode.

#5 OFFLINE   Pemberto

Pemberto

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

I can generally get the DVR to stop responding to the remote by opening PIP and changing between the two windows several times. After the guide button is pressed on the DVR, it will then 'play' through every button I have pressed on the remote since the DVR stopped responding to the remote. It seems to store the keystrokes, then play them all at once.

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,921 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Did you put the remote in RF?

#7 OFFLINE   Pemberto

Pemberto

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

I put the remote in RF mode. DVR still behaves the same way. Some buttons continue to work such as guide, menu, list, exit, and info. The arrows around the select button and the channel down stop working. Resetting the DVR restores full remote operation for a little while.

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,921 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Did you block the front of the HR44 as I suggested earlier? To rule out IR interference

If so and the trouble continues, do you have an Ethernet cable connected to the HR44?

If so, try removing it for a while and see if the problem continues.

#9 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,921 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

BTW, what other Directv equipment do you have besides the HR44.  Tell us about your system.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Yup, try covering the IR sensor to rule out IR interference 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   Pemberto

Pemberto

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

I have only the HR44 whole home HD DVR (Genie) with the RC71 remote. One single tv. DVR is connected to Internet via wireless.

I tried covering the IR sensor, but that didn't help.

On sunday I finally put the RC71 remote away and began using my trusty old RC64 remote. Since then I have not had an issue. I read on another site about a possible compatibility issue with the RC71's. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the suggestions.

#12 OFFLINE   phodg

phodg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

I just had exactly the same issue on one of my HR21 machines (Some buttons continue to work such as guide, menu, list, exit, and info. The arrows around the select button and the channel down stop working.). I tried several other remotes and still got the same result. In the end, I did a RBR and that seemed to fix it. Weird. Hope it was a one-off.

#13 OFFLINE   GLJones

GLJones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

OK...I have the same issue.  HR44 with 3 Genie clients.  The clients each have an RC71 paired RF with them.  Several times now, the remote just stops working. If I use the old IR remote, that still works. I then have to reset the remote settings to IR and reset the remote itself. I can then re-pair them and it will work for a week or two. This is occurring on two of the three Genie clients. It is really annoying. 

I cannot figure out anything that might cause it like power glitches, lightning, software updates, etc... 

Edited by GLJones, 11 September 2013 - 11:34 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...