Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice needed on a move installation

move installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skippy

skippy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

we just bough a house and want to keep directv. i have called the movers number for directv to get an idea of what i can expect from the move installation, but the csr really did not seem to know the answers to my questions. so i thought i would ask here first before we follow through with moving the directv to the new house.

we qualify for the free move, but i do no like the current locations of outlets inside the house and i want to move them. the current RG6 cable lines are ran on the outside of the house and are split to three locations. the main line to one of these drops is currently attached to the existing cable outlet to the house from the utility pole and will be for our cable internet connection. the other is split off of this line on the outside of the house, ran along the outside of the house and is fed through the exterior wall.  I really want this line moved to an inside location and i want it (along with the cable internet connection) in fed from a central location in the basement. ultimately resulting in a central location for our internet, home network, and satellite connections. however, i probably wont have time to run the RG6 for the satellite connections to the new locations before we want the install to occur. so this situation brings up several questions i have.

1. Will it be an issue to have the dish main line(s) fed by the directv installer to the central location in the basement without having any connections to the existing outlets coming out of the SWiM?
  2. what is considered a custom install? I ask this because, I prefer to run the satellite RG6 cable to the basement, but there currently is not a RG6 cable ran to the basement. will this be considered a custom install and how much do these usually cost? 
  3. Would it be better just to go ahead and have the move completed by the installer "as is" on the the existing ouside line outlet and just re-run the RG6 cables myself after the move install when i have time?

the csr also informed me i would have cover the ~$20 for the shipping and handling of the dish itself. i asked her if i could uninstall my current dish and bring it to the new house and have the installer re-install it so we would not have to pay the $20. her reply was that the dish itself is set up specifically for my location and it would cause problems at the new location, because it is specifically for my current location. i will admit i am a total noob when it comes to understanding how this satellite installation stuff works sometimes, but this sounds kind of bogus to me. as we are only moving across town (~2 mi). i guess i would understand this comment a little more if it were across the state, another state or a much significant distance than we are moving. so is this comment from the csr true or can i just bring my current dish to the new location and have the installer install it when they arrive to avoid paying the $20 S&H fee?

i guess my skepticism about the information from the csr also stems from the fact that one minute she tells me we can hook you up with a genie for a 1 yr agreement instead of a 2 yr agreement, and then several minutes later tells me they cannot override the 2 yr agreement. /shrug

thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,871 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Well, running wires in the walls is not included with any install.  However, having him run them on the oustide to the basement and back may or may not be an issue..  But not sure if there's a point if you are going to have it all redone again soon after.  You might be able to pay him more and have him run them in walls, not sure, depends on a lot of variables.

As for the dish, that's stupid, they shouldn't charge you for a new dish.  and no, your not suppose to take the old dish. Id call back again and talk to someone else and get the dish fee waved.  your going to spend enough sometime when you run the lines in the walls

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,928 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

new customers and moving customers are always charge this $19.99 fee.  do not know what it covers but is def not the dish.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,928 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

and the Genie requires a 2 year commitment 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   skippy

skippy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

thanks all. i tried to negotiate the genie for a 1 yr deal, no luck. however, i did negotiate to get them to waive the 1 yr agreement for the move install. so i guess thats a win ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: move, installation

Protected By... spam firewall...And...