Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would Dish Network Really Consider Dropping ESPN?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
208 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I simply quoted the LA Daily News article.  

The link to the full story is in my post.  Gregory Wilcox's (the reporter who wrote the story) email address is at the end of the article.

I understand and wasn't meaning to ask you. It was just a general question regarding the article.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

My point is, at least on the baseball playoffs, the article is incorrect.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#103 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I don't question Athlon here... he's doing the due diligence and updating us with the latest "info"...  I am increasingly disappointed by how many online Web sites keep recycling old quotes from months ago as if they were just said yesterday, though.  Also making up some stuff, as this article does, related to PAC-12 and Baseball being affected...  and of course the nebulous and vague "according to sources" which leads me to believe his "source" is the random internet rumor that keeps resurfacing from months ago.

We know from past disputes that someone would be screaming bloody murder about now IF these negotiations had truly stalled... also, the lack of any recent new rumor tends to dispel that notion.

There are so many factual errors that are easily discredited, that it pretty much leads you to conclude the whole article here is piecemeal nothingness.

Besides, we are going to find out in a week anyway... and unlike a less popular channel, everybody involved in the negotiations knows how the viewers feel here... so I again will be surprised at anything beyond a symbolic dropping of channels, and even that seems unlikely given how little we have heard to this point.

I fully expect to still have ESPN next Tuesday... and within the coming weeks after that to see other HD feeds light up for other Disney/ABC/ESPN channels.

• tsmacro likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#104 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

^^^

And I don't question you not questioning me......  biggrin.gif

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#105 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

My point is, at least on the baseball playoffs, the article is incorrect.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

So was the part about pac12 channels. That has nothing to do with espn. However they may have mentioned it because of all the pac12 games that are now on espn that you'd lose. It was a Fresno article.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#106 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,788 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

So was the part about pac12 channels. That has nothing to do with espn. However they may have mentioned it because of all the pac12 games that are now on espn that you'd lose. It was a Fresno article.

The article specifically said "PAC-12 Network". Not PAC-12 content on ESPN. It was one of the many errors in the article.

We are at an odd point in the process ... so far no promotion from either side asking customers to visit some "keep ESPN on DISH" or "keep the price fair" websites as we have seen with other disputes. And no announced deal for ESPN and whatever other channels are involved to continue. One of those directions will become more clear by next Tuesday.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#107 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

You know I spent the whole day worrying if Disney and Dish would come to an agreement, I just couldn't get any work done, I'll probably not get much sleep tonight, I'm off my feed, I can't eat, I'm irritable - WHAT SHALL I DO?

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#108 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

You know I spent the whole day worrying if Disney and Dish would come to an agreement, I just couldn't get any work done, I'll probably not get much sleep tonight, I'm off my feed, I can't eat, I'm irritable - WHAT SHALL I DO?

GO through life and worry about things that you CAN do something about... :)

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#109 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

Can you enlighten me on what this multitude of content is?

Sure.  They could go back to sending out 1920x1080 instead of 1440x1080.  All those dropped bits are content.

#110 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Geez it's just TV.

• Michael P likes this

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#111 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Geez it's just TV.

I'm fairly certain he was being sarcastic.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#112 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

biggrin.gif

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#113 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

DROP IT AND SAVE ME $15.00 A MONTH!!!!!!

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#114 OFFLINE   jftimmers

jftimmers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Fresno really?

Really. KFSN in Fresno is an ABC O & O.

#115 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

I didn't know that.

Thanks!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#116 OFFLINE   wallyb47

wallyb47

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

I would expect to see a few days of standoff on this.

The said reality is that bills are now at $100 a month for people and pay tv outlets are losing customers.   There is a sweet spot for consumers in probably the $85 - $95 range and after that the cord is getting cut.    So the pressure on Dish, Directv, and so forth is likely to try in vain to keep the bills at that point.

I see ESPN ONLY getting its asking price if the channels are in the 200 and above packages.    This would allow Dish to free up the 120 package and keep the price in check.   However, I don't see ESPN doing this and then they'll have to come back and negotiate on price in the 120 package.   I see this is where the issues are going to be.   But throw in also the slate of other ABC owned channels and where they fall out in the tier.

I would not be surprised at all to see a few days where ESPN goes dark to prove a point.   Question is how many would switch in that short period?   I don't think too many would because they'd expect it to work out.

I also wonder how much the Hopper issues enter into this with the ABC channels owned.

It's the great convergence of issues.

The way ESPN/DISNEY/ABC make money is by being in the lowest tiers. That way they get paid for each subscriber not a select few subscribing to premium or sport packages. If, as reported elsewhere, ESPN gets $5.50 they receive $77 million a month from Dish alone. Add DirecTv and they add $100 million a month to ESPN. Now add all the cable companies and see what they get a month. ESPN would not approve a contract that removes them from basic service. Now, what is the fallout if Dish doesn't renew? As a email from Dish reminded me trying to sell the multisport package, which went from $7 to $12 a month, it is college football season. Yep, sure is. I dare say Dish will lose many subscribers to cable or DirecTv if it dragged out too long. It seems odd that ONLY Dish has ESPNU, ESPNNews, Disney and ABC channels in SD when everyone else has it in HD. Dish customers have suffered long enough with the others providing in HD. Dish can play hardball, but I think they may be misjudging the fallout if they lose ESPN or decide to drop it. As one poster noted ESPN isn't AMC.

#117 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

I guess my question is are the ABC stations also up for renewal?

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#118 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

They lost me, Im tired of the drama constantly with locals or nationals. Directv install on Saturday.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#119 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

What drama?

This is one of the MOST peaceful negotiations I can remember in my time with Dish.  Seriously.  Neither Dish nor ESPN has said BOO about the contract expiring in the next 5 days...  In the past, we would have had Web sites, commercials, and channel scrolls by now each telling how the other was evil personified.

The only drama in this negotiation has been from a few "news" Web sites who seem to be recycling old news and old quotes to imply something bad is going to happen... someone today was talking about "Black Monday"... but nobody from Dish or ESPN is saying anything negative about the other.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#120 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

This is one of the MOST peaceful negotiations I can remember in my time with Dish.  Seriously.  Neither Dish nor ESPN has said BOO about the contract expiring in the next 5 days...  In the past, we would have had Web sites, commercials, and channel scrolls by now each telling how the other was evil personified.

I've noticed this as well.  In fact, if not for this forum, I'd have no idea the contract was set to expire.

• tsmacro likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...