Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would Dish Network Really Consider Dropping ESPN?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
208 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

What drama?

This is one of the MOST peaceful negotiations I can remember in my time with Dish.  Seriously.  Neither Dish nor ESPN has said BOO about the contract expiring in the next 5 days...  In the past, we would have had Web sites, commercials, and channel scrolls by now each telling how the other was evil personified.

The only drama in this negotiation has been from a few "news" Web sites who seem to be recycling old news and old quotes to imply something bad is going to happen... someone today was talking about "Black Monday"... but nobody from Dish or ESPN is saying anything negative about the other.

Oh I agree with you 100%.

But.....what I don't get is IF a new deal is now in place WHY both sides have not announced that!?   If Dish is to receive any of the online apps, like watchespn and espn3, and even ESPNU in HD  then that would be a boon to anyone sitting on the fence thinking of switching over the Pac 12 Network not being on Directv.   Because I know several on the fence who are afraid of switching and signing a 2 year deal for a provider w/o ESPN.

So my thought is - let's get on with it and announce it if a deal has been done.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

They lost me, Im tired of the drama constantly with locals or nationals. Directv install on Saturday.

Good luck with that. There's no place you can get away from the "drama" these days between the companies that own the channels and those that provide them to the subscribers.  

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#123 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

But.....what I don't get is IF a new deal is now in place WHY both sides have not announced that!?   If Dish is to receive any of the online apps, like watchespn and espn3, and even ESPNU in HD  then that would be a boon to anyone sitting on the fence thinking of switching over the Pac 12 Network not being on Directv.   Because I know several on the fence who are afraid of switching and signing a 2 year deal for a provider w/o ESPN. 

So my thought is - let's get on with it and announce it if a deal has been done.

That is a horse of a different color.  Both satellite and cable companies are notoriously bad about not telling customers good news.  When my father used to have Time Warner cable, I routinely told him about new channels due to reading forums like this one... and Time Warner rarely told him anything.  Same with Dish...  just about every time I can remember when Dish added new channels, I read it on this forum first (and I'm not just talking uplinks) and it was usually nearly a month later, if even, before Dish said anything.

You would think good news would be good news.

But... just like most subscribers don't know there is a major contract about to expire... they also will not know when it is renewed...  and might not notice the new channels or new features unless they stumble on them accidentally.

Dish could be better about telling customers when it adds new channels... but I've sort of given up on them doing so.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#124 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

They lost me, Im tired of the drama constantly with locals or nationals. Directv install on Saturday.

Good luck with that. There's no place you can get away from the "drama" these days between the companies that own the channels and those that provide them to the subscribers.  

Yeah, next year will be DirectTV's turn.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#125 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Is ESPN gone yet? I can't wait to save some money.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#126 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Is ESPN gone yet? I can't wait to save some money.

#1. ESPN will not be going anywhere.

#2. Even if it did, your bill will not likely drop as a result.

#127 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

That is a horse of a different color.  Both satellite and cable companies are notoriously bad about not telling customers good news.  When my father used to have Time Warner cable, I routinely told him about new channels due to reading forums like this one... and Time Warner rarely told him anything.  Same with Dish...  just about every time I can remember when Dish added new channels, I read it on this forum first (and I'm not just talking uplinks) and it was usually nearly a month later, if even, before Dish said anything.

You would think good news would be good news.

But... just like most subscribers don't know there is a major contract about to expire... they also will not know when it is renewed...  and might not notice the new channels or new features unless they stumble on them accidentally.

Dish could be better about telling customers when it adds new channels... but I've sort of given up on them doing so.

Yep.....but there are potential customers waiting in the wings to sign up for Dish = that they are holding their cards before they fold and come over!!!

#128 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

The latest article.

http://blogs.wsj.com...-lose-espn-abc/

#129 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

But... just like most subscribers don't know there is a major contract about to expire... they also will not know when it is renewed... and might not notice the new channels or new features unless they stumble on them accidentally.

Forums like this tend to be highly specialized where the most interested/motivated ~1% of any service's customers hang out.

When I was shopping for a new washer - because the 30 year-old unit was leaking, I visited a washer dryer forum (first surprise - there is a washer dryer forum) and I found a post where a frequent poster said that they buy a new washer and drier every 6 months to keep up with the technology. It blew my mind, but probably some of them would have surprised that a forum for TV service provider exists too, let alone that people there discuss contract negotiations for channels.
  • karrank% likes this

#130 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

My gut says all the current ABC/ESPN/Disney channels will still be with us tomorrow.  No news is good news on that front...  the yelling and screaming from ESPN should have already started weeks ago if we were going dark tonight.

Best case scenario would be if the new contract is a done deal and includes all the "lost" HD feeds + ESPNUHD + WatchESPN.  However, even in the best case scenario it could be weeks before we see those channels light up.

When AMC came back, only AMCHD came back immediately... those other HD feeds took nearly a month to show up and I'm not sure we ever found out why the delay.

So... I would expect any new/returning HD feeds to possibly be as much as a month out even if a new contract is done tonight.  WatchESPN would require some updates to their APP, but that could happen sooner than the HD feeds potentially.

In a perfect world, we would get all the channels on Wednesday and WatchESPN by the weekend... but I have low confidence in that scenario.

We should know something by morning, though... even if it is just status quo... that in itself will tell us something.

#131 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,359 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

AMC HD was the real channel ... the others were bonus. AMC HD has also been recently carried - the others had to have space made for them.

It has been too long since the disputed ABC/ESPN channels were pulled - and there is no sign of testing going on to instantly make them HD.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#132 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

DISH and The Walt Disney Company Continue Talks, Extend Contract

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. & BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH (NASDAQ:DISH) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) have reached a short-term extension with respect to the continued carriage of ESPN; Disney Channel; ABC owned stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh-Durham and Fresno; ABC Family and other networks from The Walt Disney Company. Details regarding the extension were not announced.

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.014 million satellite TV customers, as of June 30, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

About Disney Media Networks

Disney Media Networks comprises a vast array of The Walt Disney Company's (NYSE:DIS) broadcast, cable, radio, publishing and Internet businesses, including Disney/ABC Television Group and ESPN, Inc. The Disney/ABC Television Group is composed of The Walt Disney Company's global entertainment and news television properties, including the ABC Television Network, ABC Studios, Disney Channels Worldwide, ABC Family, as well as Disney/ABC Domestic Television and Disney Media Distribution. ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities.

#133 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

The above was fresh in my email just minutes ago...  I neglected to mention in any of my earlier posts that my local ABC station is an owned/operated by ABC station and they have not been running any scrolls like the Media General-owned NBC affiliate has... so I had a semi-inside-track to guess that all was still well.

#134 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

I too got the email and would have lost my ABC local. I really didn't expect Disney to insist on a blackout during the first weeks of the new season. After all, I need to keep up with "Dancing with the Stars."  :sure:  Maybe they can work something out with Charlie that makes sense. Or not.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#135 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

I have to think most of this is about the WatchESPN and possibly ESPN3 access...  I mean, there are really no new channels as such.  Return of the HD feeds + ESPNU in HD that Dish never had.... but no new channels to haggle over unless somehow the Longhorn network is involved, but Texas isn't helping ESPN right now to sell that channel with their performance on the football field!  So it seems like it has to be the digital/online stuff that might be hanging things up.

I couldn't even guess at how they come to a value on what that is worth per subscriber...  I wish they could separate that negotiation with an agreement that adds all the channels for a multi-year deal and allows them to continue to negotiate on the digital stuff... but I expect Disney/ESPN wants to do everything in one shot.

#136 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Another trick to the digital stuff is that Dish has never had to negotiate for ESPN3, since they don't have an ISP service, plus I'm sure a discussion of how many of their subs do or don't have broadband is a discussion. WatchESPN is more complicated for a satellite provider than a cable provider.

#137 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yeah...  for a cable company that is also an internet provider, WatchESPN and ESPN3 are "in-network" so to speak... but except for the areas where Dish is selling satellite internet, those would be eyes away from Dish... so Dish might view those as less valuable to them than a cable company would.

#138 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Another trick to the digital stuff is that Dish has never had to negotiate for ESPN3, since they don't have an ISP service, plus I'm sure a discussion of how many of their subs do or don't have broadband is a discussion. WatchESPN is more complicated for a satellite provider than a cable provider.

Doesn't Dishnet count as an ISP?  Granted it's a niche service for the "undeserved" areas of the country, but it is internet service.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#139 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Curiously...  I did see something today about the SEC Network... so maybe ESPN/Disney is also trying to negotiate that this year... but I didn't see/hear anything about the Longhorn network.  Things are generally pretty quiet on this, even with the semi-press-release from Dish yesterday.

No panic or threats or scrolls from ESPN yet...  which leads me to believe that even if these companies are negotiating some nasty sticking points, they must be doing it civilly... because we usually see the fire spitting and we know these two companies have bad blood between them, so the civility is almost deafening.

#140 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

...so the civility is almost deafening.

Great line!

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall