Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would Dish Network Really Consider Dropping ESPN?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
208 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

This appears to be the latest and where the renewals lie;  apparently the extension is only one or two days....

Disney-Dish Talks Said to Hinge on Skipping Ads, Adding Networks

http://adage.com/art...etworks/244496/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hmmm. Well, if Disney is only seeking assurances that Dish won't expand Hopper ad skipping to cable channels, then a deal is possible. If Disney is demanding Dish shut off ad skipping on ABC, I can't imagine that happening.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#143 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

Great line!

Thanks...  I quite literally stumbled into that, and while I don't normally pat myself on the back... I was quite happy I thought of typing that! :)

Hmmm. Well, if Disney is only seeking assurances that Dish won't expand Hopper ad skipping to cable channels, then a deal is possible. If Disney is demanding Dish shut off ad skipping on ABC, I can't imagine that happening.

Yeah...  IF it is about the LiLs, then I think they have a problem... but if it is about assuring they stick to LiLs, Dish probably is ok with that.

IF that linked article is accurate, it makes sense to me that it might be more about the SEC network and that other channel ESPN wants to launch... but that maybe Disney is trying to leverage their "hate" of the AutoHop to Dish by saying "IF you pay us for these new channels we want to launch, we will stop fighting on AutoHOP"...  I could see FOX playing that same card eventually to re-negotiate FS1 and FS2 at some point, by agreeing to drop AutoHOP complaints if Dish deals with them on the channels they care more about.

AutoHop is kind of becoming a potential tool for BOTH sides to leverage in these negotiations I think.

I would like to see Dish get the SEC network...  I expect the ACC to try one eventually, so I'd like to think the precedent to carry them would be set by that time.  I have to think the SEC network, though, would be handled similar to Big10 and Pac12 and be in the multi-sport except for SEC DMAs... and those were apparently hard for Dish to negotiate in the past too so I could see that being a sticking point.

No mention of the "lost" HD feeds or ESPNUHD... so we either must believe those are already agreed upon in principle OR were never part of the deal... and the former seems much more likely than the latter as I can't imagine Disney wanting SEC more than their other feeds.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#144 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

Interesting that this auto hop is a stumbling block to an agreement.  Of course I have old equipment from 2007 (two 622's).  Makes me wonder when networks are going to demand technology to not allow folks to skip ads, period.  Kinda like a dvd won't let one skip over the warning page.  When that happens I might have to give up TV altogether.

But as it now stands, if ESPN were to go dark on dish, I would look immediately to switch to TWC (I already have roadrunner) or Directv.  Worst possible time, football season, for this to happen.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#145 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

I doubt that ad skipping is the only thing.  SEC Network, Longhorn, WatchESPN, the rate they charge, etc, etc is all thrown in there. 

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#146 OFFLINE   doctorbs

doctorbs

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com...n/?mod=yahoo_hs

If Dish drops ESPN and other Disney/ABC Channels...I will be gone, not ifs or buts...I watch ESPN all the time and my kid loves all the Disney channels.

Dish will experience a max exodus if this happens. Book it!

On phone with Direct TV Oct 1.  She said Dish was going to use recordings of old sports events.  Apparently they made a last minute deal to keep them because I got ball games tonight. The contract officially ended September 30th.  I'm gone anyway tho because the Hopper is cumbersome to me compared to Direct TV HOWEVER I'm going to Charter and get a Tivo.  I like to go back and forth between games and apparently with the Hopper, when you come back to a game you have to start at beginning and fast forward to where you were in the game IF the game is still in progress.  Games that have finished like yesterdays games do have a Resume choice but if the games are still in progress you either have to join the game live or stop the recording.  They say there are convoluted ways to do it but Direct TV was soooo easy.  Hope Tivo is also.  Better check on it.  

#147 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

On phone with Direct TV Oct 1.  She said Dish was going to use recordings of old sports events.

Uh, no. I hope you enjoy Charter.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#148 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

I have a feeling we will be getting some good news soon.  You read it here first! :)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#149 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

Why?  I would not be one bit surprised if someone at some point dumps dish without them agreeing to not using auto hop.  I have said that from the beginning.  Courts can do what they want, but in the end, the channels have the power to say pound sand.  They will leverage it for more money.

#150 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

On phone with Direct TV Oct 1.  She said Dish was going to use recordings of old sports events.  Apparently they made a last minute deal to keep them because I got ball games tonight. The contract officially ended September 30th.  I'm gone anyway tho because the Hopper is cumbersome to me compared to Direct TV HOWEVER I'm going to Charter and get a Tivo.  I like to go back and forth between games and apparently with the Hopper, when you come back to a game you have to start at beginning and fast forward to where you were in the game IF the game is still in progress.  Games that have finished like yesterdays games do have a Resume choice but if the games are still in progress you either have to join the game live or stop the recording.  They say there are convoluted ways to do it but Direct TV was soooo easy.  Hope Tivo is also.  Better check on it.  

Uh, Charter for TV?  Im so sorry if your in the same charter area as me.  Thats not tv, that's torture.  no way id ever even consider it unless they offered me $1,000,000 and I didn't have to sign a contract.  ;)

#151 ONLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

^^^

What he said.  Charter is my only alternative to satellite.  They are horrible with their TV service.  I have their internet and can say it has been fast and reliable.  When I had their TV service they seemed to be about 5 years behind everyone else with their channel lineup (HD) and technology (DVR).

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#152 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

I like to go back and forth between games and apparently with the Hopper, when you come back to a game you have to start at beginning and fast forward to where you were in the game IF the game is still in progress.  Games that have finished like yesterdays games do have a Resume choice but if the games are still in progress you either have to join the game live or stop the recording.  They say there are convoluted ways to do it but Direct TV was soooo easy.

Yeah, it's a bit counter-intuitive to use the PiP "Swap" button to switch between games.  And it was very easy for me to switch between games with my DirecTV HR22-100: Press a button and pray the DVR "hears" it.  Wait 10 seconds while nothing happens, then press the button again, only to have it immediately register 2 button presses.

#153 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Why?  I would not be one bit surprised if someone at some point dumps dish without them agreeing to not using auto hop.  I have said that from the beginning.  Courts can do what they want, but in the end, the channels have the power to say pound sand.  They will leverage it for more money.

I agree with the "leverage" concept. If I were Disney, I'd be demanding an extra two bucks "prime-time fee" for every Hopper-equipped subscriber who has a local ABC channel, to be split with the local affiliate, in return for signing whatever agreement on everything else has been reached and for dropping the lawsuit. If Dish agreed to even 20¢ the first year with gradual increases to whatever, you'd set a precedent for sharing in DVR fees.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#154 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

It is not a fee that DISH would agree to ... and eventually ESPN would find itself in the same position as The Weather Channel did a couple of years ago when they decided that they didn't need DISH subscribers. Losing 14 million subscribers.

The Weather Channel being in a less protected position since anyone can give a weather forecast ... ESPN holds rights to content that cannot be retransmitted by other networks. But the concept of ESPN's executive team waking up one morning and finding out they had lost 14 million homes is something that cannot be ignored.

ESPN is already at it's lowest subscriber level since 2008 ... only 97.9 million subscribers for ESPN and ESPN2 in July 2013. That is about a million less than one year prior. They are generally losing subscribers due to cord cutting, but a million less people paying ~$5.40 for ESPN and 68c for ESPN2 adds up.
(Figures from whatyoupayforsports.com)

ESPN gave up NASCAR (effective 2015) and there are rumors that they might pay their way out of their current contract so they would not be forced to spend the money to cover the sport in 2014. There may be more sports that ESPN will need to shed to stay in business. Be prepared to watch ESPN change their focus to sports that either have a high dollar return or are cheap to cover. Or see them fill their hours with replays and studio shows that are cheaper than sending a production team out to cover a sport.

ESPN (and other ABC/Disney networks) need subscribers. I don't see them throwing away 14 million subscribers over the Hopper. Plus it is not the best PR move ... "We refuse to sign a deal with DISH because we want to force subscribers to see our commercials?" And if DISH agreed to give ABC 20c to allow commercials on ABC to be skipped you can be sure that CBS, NBC and Fox will be next in line with their hand out for 25c, 30c and a dollar. It is a bad precedent to set.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#155 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

ESPN wouldn't be throwing away 14 million subscribers because many of them would leave Dish and go to another provider.  

I would not leave and would be happy if they dropped ESPN & Disney if they lowered my bill.  However, I don't see Dish dropping ESPN because they will lose too many subscribers.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#156 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Keep in mind that not only are the ESPN and Disney groups of cable channels involved plus ABC Family, but at stake here is ABC owned and operated broadcast stations which serve 23% of the television homes or 26 million homes. ESPN may be important, but losing ABC for maybe 20% of Dish customers could be a problem for Dish.

My AV Setup

#157 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

ESPN wouldn't be throwing away 14 million subscribers because many of them would leave Dish and go to another provider.

How many? We've been reading for years about how people want an ESPN free programming choice. DISH could become that choice.

I would not leave and would be happy if they dropped ESPN & Disney if they lowered my bill.  However, I don't see Dish dropping ESPN because they will lose too many subscribers.

Do not be surprised if ESPN and the related channels are off for a month or so. I hope there is no gap (it is chase season for NASCAR) but a lot of negotiations end up with gaps as the parties figure out just how much each other are worth. And then a resolution comes and all is well.

#158 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

I think if DIsh drops espn, they should just drop all sports only channels then.  Logic there is at least some of most the major sports are on espn anymore, aside from the nhl. And if people want all the games...

#159 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Keep in mind that not only are the ESPN and Disney groups of cable channels involved plus ABC Family, but at stake here is ABC owned and operated broadcast stations which serve 23% of the television homes or 26 million homes. ESPN may be important, but losing ABC for maybe 20% of Dish customers could be a problem for Dish.

Not for me.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#160 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Actually, ESPN might be throwing away more than 14 million subscribers.  Because studies have shown that 50% of households never watch ESPN.  And many people who don't watch ESPN are just like you: they would be happy to not pay for ESPN.  So while the ESPN fans would leave Dish in droves, Dish might see an increase in customers as those people who don't want ESPN flock to the provider.  There'd be a churn period as people who are locked in contracts would hesitate to switch, and the ABC O&O does muddle the math a little, but it could be a smart move for Dish to differentiate themselves.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...