Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would Dish Network Really Consider Dropping ESPN?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
208 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Is ESPN gone yet? I'm hoping for more shopping and/or paint drying channels.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

So while the ESPN fans would leave Dish in droves, Dish might see an increase in customers as those people who don't want ESPN flock to the provider.

Some of you are so far from reality when Dish has a dispute.

First, they aint working for you.

Second, you arent going to save money.

Third, people arent going to leave Directv of Cable to go to Dish because they dont have a channel.

Get real.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#163 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Third, people arent going to leave Directv of Cable to go to Dish because they dont have a channel.

Get real.

I love Dish, but I have to agree with this post.  I can't imagine customers leaving a provider to go to Dish because they break with Disney.

Bottom line ~ this is going to get worked out and (I believe) we will see the entire Disney/ESPN family in HD.  Why do I think this?  Because that would make everyone the most money.  It really is that simple.

#164 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,349 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

If it saves them money they will. People chose to subscribe to DISH instead of DirecTV because DISH had the AT120 channel package that does not include regional sports and about three dozen other channels. DirecTV eventually responded by introducing their own budget package (Entertainment).

BTW: Anyone who thinks DISH will immediately lose their 14 million customers to DirecTV or other providers should ESPN be dropped needs a reality check.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#165 OFFLINE   bwest602

bwest602

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

For some reason this evening I no longer show a network logo in the Guide for any of the ESPN channels, the Disney channels or ABC Family--all the other channels are fine (I have the everything package w/ Blockbuster@Home).  They are blank on both Hoppers and both Joeys.  The schedule appears just fine, just missing the logos. Anyone else having the same issue?  It's not a sign of something coming I hope.  

#166 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

BTW: Anyone who thinks DISH will immediately lose their 14 million customers to DirecTV or other providers should ESPN be dropped needs a reality check.

After 1 I know of, I don't care how many others might drop Dish ;)

#167 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

well, I would likely be leaving.  I am an avid sports fan & watch ESPN daily, especially during basketball.  Loosing ESPN would be the last straw............so tired of all of the disputes in the name of saving the subscriber money..........then Dish raises their fees

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#168 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

For some reason this evening I no longer show a network logo in the Guide for any of the ESPN channels, the Disney channels or ABC Family--all the other channels are fine (I have the everything package w/ Blockbuster@Home). They are blank on both Hoppers and both Joeys. The schedule appears just fine, just missing the logos. Anyone else having the same issue? It's not a sign of something coming I hope.

Same here on the logos. Could be bad but could also be good. Hard to know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#169 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,349 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

Same here on the logos. Could be bad but could also be good. Hard to know for sure.

It is "interesting" to note that the only channels in my guide that are missing logos at this time are the ESPNs, Disney, ABC Family and SoapNet. Things that make you go hmmmmm ....

Get me to midnight Friday (the end of the Nationwide race). Sorry for anything others might miss if darkness comes.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#170 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

First, they are working for us.  But not only for us.  As a middleman, they have to make both sides happy or they stop being the middleman.  It's a warped and twisted relationship that allows the companies that produce content to charge more than they could if they were selling direct to customers.  But if Dish stops making its customers happy, they will stop being a company.

I believe Dish could drop the price of their package significantly if they dropped ESPN.  And I think they would have to.  Otherwise, the people who don't like paying for ESPN would have no incentive to stay or switch to Dish.  If the cost to Dish per subscriber is really as high as some claim, they could get an incredible cost advantage over their competition by dropping the price.  They wouldn't do it because they want to make less money.  They'd do it because sometimes the way to make the most money is to charge the lowest price.

You are correct that people won't switch to Dish just because they don't have a channel.  But they will switch to Dish if it saves them $15/month compared to their alternatives.  See argument above for why Dish would be able to charge less, and why they would want to.

Dish won't drop the price if this is just a contract dispute.  If they intend to reach an agreement, the price will have to stay up so that they can maintain profitability after the content returns.  But if they decide that they don't want ESPN at any price, then they can both drop the channel and the price.  And then their advertising will go into high gear to attract customers to a service where "you don't have to pay for ESPN."  And you can "save $15/month on our most popular package compared to DirecTV."  It's a message that would play well with a large portion of the population.

#171 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

For some reason this evening I no longer show a network logo in the Guide for any of the ESPN channels, the Disney channels or ABC Family--all the other channels are fine (I have the everything package w/ Blockbuster@Home).  

The logos are there for me this morning.

#172 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hey mine are back too.  How do we read this now?  I'm so confused.  Hey at least there's something interesting going on in the world of Satellite, it has been a bit boring for a while since the newness of HWS wore off.

#173 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hey mine are back too.  How do we read this now?  I'm so confused.  Hey at least there's something interesting going on in the world of Satellite, it has been a bit boring for a while since the newness of HWS wore off.

The logos have been on and off during the last few weeks.  First happened a few weeks ago, I believe.

Not sure what to make of it, either.  I'm a little surprised this has dragged on to mid-October.  Original contract expired on 9/30.

I think we all know what we want - ESPN and Disney family in HD (ESPNU, ABC Family, etc.) plus any channels we don't have (e.g. Disney Jr for the kids) without having to pay more.  :grin:

#174 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Just an observation. ESPN wouldn't lose 14 million customers. That number includes commercial accounts as well. Without knowing pure numbers let's say that the formula accounts for 1 million. After you reduce the number to 13 million you then have to take into account the people who don't have ESPN. Given my lack of knowledge with all of their packages as well as the international side of the house let's assume that it's about 10% so 1.3 million. That takes us down to 11.7 million subs. That number is still a heft amount in itself. Then you have to do the loss factor of cancellations as well as those who wouldn't sign up anymore. This is where opinion will really sink in but I think it's easy to say that the attrition rate would be about 1.7% per week it was off averaged over a month and then steadily increasing after 12 weeks. Charlie knows this level of churn will happen and he knows that even if they go dark for a day there will be a significantly higher level of churn as people won't be willing to take it on faith it won't happen again. 

On the flip side this would not make DISH go out of business like some have said. Even if they went to 7 million subs they would still be a solvent company they would just have to decrease their workforce and spending appropriately. They would have significantly lower acquisitions so their SAC payout would be very small leading them to be more cash positive even with reduced revenue once things settled down.

With all of that said neither side wants the channels to go dark and I don't believe this will be the negotiation where Charlie tests the waters with it. We all knew the skipping commercials feature would cost him in the long run and this is just the first of many battles over it.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#175 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

It is "interesting" to note that the only channels in my guide that are missing logos at this time are the ESPNs, Disney, ABC Family and SoapNet. Things that make you go hmmmmm ....

Get me to midnight Friday (the end of the Nationwide race). Sorry for anything others might miss if darkness comes.

Is Soapnet still on?

Edited by Paul Secic, 12 October 2013 - 10:09 AM.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#176 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,349 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

Is Soapnet still??

Yep.

#177 OFFLINE   pfred

pfred

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

The lack of activity here leads me to believe that we will continue to be forced to pay for ESPN in order to get AT120.  Oh well, maybe next time.

Edited by pfred, 16 October 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#178 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

The lack of activity here leads me to believe that we will continue to be forced to pay for ESPN in order to get AT120.  Oh well, maybe next time.

...or, ESPN and all of the other channels that various subscribers watch will continue to be bundled with programming that almost no one watches, because it is more profitable for the programming providers and the carriers get to brag about how many channels that they provide.

I see no change in the basic economic principles that gave birth to bundling, so this business model will continue for the foreseeable future.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#179 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,349 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

No deal has been announced. Status Quo.

#180 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Or to state that another way...  people will be forced to buy everything else in AT120 in order to get ESPN as well :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall