Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coming back to D*TV, what is the current HD STB?

H25 H24

Best Answer The Merg , 05 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

You guys are swaying me... The logical side of me says within the next 2 years, am I gonna want to be able to DVR... and the answer may be a yes. So i will likely be giving Directv a call this afternoon after work to change my order. Do you know if I'll have a chance at keeping the same install date?

:lol:

Do what's best for you though. In 2 years, there might be something bigger and better out there that you can get for free...

As for the install date, it's possible you would be able to keep the same date. It depends if the CSR has to cancel the order and recreate it, which means they need to select an install date, or if the CSR can just update your order. If the CSR does need to pick a new date, you can then go on-line and try to pick an earlier date.

- Merg

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   darinzook

darinzook

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hey all - 

After a year hiatus, I'm coming back to Directv for my TV service. After doing some price comparison, I've chosen Directv yet again over Comcrap, who despite giving me fantastic internet service, can't seem to wrap their minds around good TV service. 

That being said, What is the current standard non-DVR HD receiver? My biggest thing with this time around was saving money on the overall package. We didn't use our DVR much last time around, and I couldn't justify the 15$ extra a month over a standard HD box to make the jump. There will be a few things I'll miss (streaming to my iPad over my home Network), but I am curious, what features do I still get with the latest HD box? I still have my SWM dish, everything connected as they left it, the broadband connection kit and all, as well as power inserter. Basically, i just need a tech to come out, connect my new HD boxes, and make sure my dish is still properly aligned and we're good to go. 

So, Features. Based on what I'm reading H24 or H25 seem to be the two standard HD boxes in the wild... What features will i have other than just TV? i.e. Pandora? OnDemand? Is there value to keeping it all internet connected?

Thanks everyone!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

The H24 and H25 are the two newest HD receivers, however, you can get any HD receiver unless to order one directly from a retailer.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   darinzook

darinzook

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

I already placed my order directly with DirecTV, its coming. Scheduled install for Tuesday. Just looking for some ideas on what the feature set of these two boxes look like, and if there is any benefit to keeping internet access to both boxes via Broadband connection kit that i already have.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

I believe that you can still use the iPad app and iPhone app for controlling the receiver like a remote. I believe you still have TV Apps on the HD receivers as well.

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

From a use and features standpoint, they all are fairly similar. The H25 is the smallest, but also requires a dongle for component and RF remote.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just to add, you've only been gone a year, nothing has changed...I dont know how anyone could go back to a non-DVR....are you sure about that?  I havent watched anything truly live in nearly 6 years.

#7 OFFLINE   darinzook

darinzook

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Just to add, you've only been gone a year, nothing has changed...I dont know how anyone could go back to a non-DVR....are you sure about that?  I havent watched anything truly live in nearly 6 years.

We didn't use our DVR much when we had it. I recorded stuff, but we'd never get around to watching it. So it was almost a waste. We've spent the last year doing primarily Netflix, Hulu Plus and what is available via Network Websites. Its been okay, but I've got a now stay-at-home wife who is expecting our 2nd child, and she's been itching for her HGTV the entire time its been missing. Plus, being a college football, NFL & NASCAR fan, not having ESPN, ESPNU and Speed/FoxSports1 have been a difficult adjustment. 

The other big driving factor was monthly costs, and keeping them low. "Advanced Receiver Service-DVR" adds an additional $15/monthly to the costs. Weighing the pros and cons wasn't easy, but I think I'll be able to find a way to make it work.  

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Basically, we want to make sure you get what you really want/"need" now, as this is the time where you'll get the best deal from DirecTV. Six months after installation, you won't get the same deals.

#9 OFFLINE   darinzook

darinzook

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Basically, we want to make sure you get what you really want/"need" now, as this is the time where you'll get the best deal from DirecTV. Six months after installation, you won't get the same deals.

Believe me, its still a decision I'm wrestling with. I just struggle with the monthly costs associated with it. If money weren't a factor, it'd be a no-brainer.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

Good luck. If you have a tech coming out, try to see if he has any H25's on his truck that he can use. They are very fast and have a nice small form factor. They're great if you have HDMI connections on all TV's. If not, the tech might have the component or composite dongle needed or you can order one for about $10.

OAN: Been to The Oregon Dairy lately?

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   darinzook

darinzook

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Good luck. If you have a tech coming out, try to see if he has any H25's on his truck that he can use. They are very fast and have a nice small form factor. They're great if you have HDMI connections on all TV's. If not, the tech might have the component or composite dongle needed or you can order one for about $10.

OAN: Been to The Oregon Dairy lately?

- Merg

As close as we are to Oregon Dairy, I can't say I've been there since I was a kid! 

So Say I were to switch to a DVR, Genie is currently the free option. How well do the other boxes work? I know they don't get coax connections anymore. Are they as fast as an H24 or H25 connected to the SWM directly? And I've heard about a wifi solution? Is that reliable?

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

The Genie clients (or Genie Minis) are still connected via a coax. There are three client models: C31, C41, and C41W. The C31 and C41 are just two versions of the same thing with the C41 being the newer version and a bit faster. The C41W is used in combination with a Wireless Video Bridge (WVB). The WVB is basically like a wireless router that only communicates with the C41W and it is connected to your coax network so that it can communicate with your Genie. The C41W is therefore a wireless client, in that it does not need a coax, but still needs a power cord and a connection to the TV.

The clients all work pretty well. They will be a bit slower than the H25, but are on par with the H24.

- Merg

Ref. Oregon Dairy: Best Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream evah! (And it's been years and years since I've been there, too.)

#13 OFFLINE   darinzook

darinzook

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

The Genie clients (or Genie Minis) are still connected via a coax. There are three client models: C31, C41, and C41W. The C31 and C41 are just two versions of the same thing with the C41 being the newer version and a bit faster. The C41W is used in combination with a Wireless Video Bridge (WVB). The WVB is basically like a wireless router that only communicates with the C41W and it is connected to your coax network so that it can communicate with your Genie. The C41W is therefore a wireless client, in that it does not need a coax, but still needs a power cord and a connection to the TV.

The clients all work pretty well. They will be a bit slower than the H25, but are on par with the H24.

- Merg

Ref. Oregon Dairy: Best Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream evah! (And it's been years and years since I've been there, too.)

You guys are swaying me... The logical side of me says within the next 2 years, am I gonna want to be able to DVR... and the answer may be a yes. So i will likely be giving Directv a call this afternoon after work to change my order. Do you know if I'll have a chance at keeping the same install date?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

with an HD receiver, there is is no VOD, Pandora or YouTube. this feature requires HDDVR

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:43 AM   Best Answer

Do what's best for you though. In 2 years, there might be something bigger and better out there that you can get for free...

As for the install date, it's possible you would be able to keep the same date. It depends if the CSR has to cancel the order and recreate it, which means they need to select an install date, or if the CSR can just update your order. If the CSR does need to pick a new date, you can then go on-line and try to pick an earlier date.

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   darinzook

darinzook

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

- Merg

I switched to the Genie & Genie Mini. And got an EARLIER install date, this Saturday! Thanks Merg and all. I have a feeling I'll be happier!

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Congrats!

And welcome to DBSTalk!

Now go get yourself some ice cream to celebrate! :)

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

I switched to the Genie & Genie Mini. And got an EARLIER install date, this Saturday! Thanks Merg and all. I have a feeling I'll be happier!

Nice. Now just start recording everything. If its a live sporting event like a football game, just start watching it a tut one hour after its been, you'll catch up and still see the games ending live most the time, and leave yourself with an extra hour to do other things.. That's what I do.. :)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: H25, H24

Protected By... spam firewall...And...