Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie/Client question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   franklin_planner

franklin_planner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

I know each client takes up a tuner on the Genie.

If that client is not currently active (not watching TV) can the Genie use it's allotted tuner for recording?

I have 4 TV's and not sure i want to give up 3 tuners for clients. Maybe I should get 1 or 2 H24's.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Yes. If the client is turned off, the Genie has full access to that tuner. The clients only grab a tuner when they are turned on.

If you are concerned about tuner conflict, you might want to consider a DVR instead of a receiver. You pay the same amount and you will have additional recording space and tuners available.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

The client only uses a tuner when it's on live tv or in the buffer. Otherwise, the Genie does have access to that tuner. The client doesn't use a tuner if it's playing back something recorded.

My client is in a less used room. Main thing you use with an Hxx is no pause/rewind, and you cannot access the Genie except for the playlist and setting something to record.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Yes. If the client is turned off, the Genie has full access to that tuner. The clients only grab a tuner when they are turned on.

If you are concerned about tuner conflict, you might want to consider a DVR instead of a receiver. You pay the same amount and you will have additional recording space and tuners available.

- Merg

Is that the case? I didn't think it would use a tuner if it was playing back recorded content. It's always using a tuner when turned on?

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Is that the case? I didn't think it would use a tuner if it was playing back recorded content. It's always using a tuner when turned on?

Hmmm... That's a good question... I never really thought of it that way. So, it's turned on and grabs a tuner, but as soon as you start playback of a recorded item it releases the tuner? I don't think that would be the case as when you exited your recording you wouldn't be able to have a buffer on the channel to which the client was tuned.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

No,if its playing back recorded content its not using a tuner.  If you record everything you watch, any concern about clients taking tuners is completely mute and not worth any consideration.  That's why to me the idea of clients taking tuners is not an issue at all, I record EVERYTHING that gets watched on my system 99% of the time, and live is so rare that it never results in conflicts anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

A simple test, if there's such a thing, would be to record five things on the Genie to which the client is linked, then see what happens when you fire up the client. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

A simple test, if there's such a thing, would be to record five things on the Genie to which the client is linked, then see what happens when you fire up the client. 

it goes to any one of those 5 channels.  you can then watch any of the 5 or watch the playlist 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Well, yes, you know that; I know that, but for folks who want to see the results.....

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

And I've never hit 5 things recording at once yet, but I'm 99.9999% sure that if you had all the tuners but one recording, and a client was using a tuner for live tv, you'd get a conflict resolution prompt just as if it were an HR24 or similar. I suspect there are a lot of setups with extra DVRs in them that are overkill.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

And I've never hit 5 things recording at once yet, but I'm 99.9999% sure that if you had all the tuners but one recording, and a client was using a tuner for live tv, you'd get a conflict resolution prompt just as if it were an HR24 or similar. I suspect there are a lot of setups with extra DVRs in them that are overkill.

That's exactly what happens. Just did it to be sure. It also ID's the client that's using a tuner, but not the program/channel.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Well, yes, you know that; I know that, but for folks who want to see the results.....

Ooopps, SPOILER ALERT.....  !rolling

• Laxguy likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...