Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Considering upgrade from very old HR21-100

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wxman1969

wxman1969

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

My HR21-100 has been humming along for years now without issue. That alone makes me content with my situation. However, the techie in me really wants the latest and greatest. That being said, what are my options? I haven't called Directv in years for anything so I'm sure I'm due an upgrade and perhaps could swing a deal or two for my 15 years of continuous patronage and $110 monthly fees. Ideally I'd like to take my existing box and use it to replace the non HD box upstairs. Then get the latest and best box currently available for my main TV. Appreciate any advice.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

If your account is in good standing you can get new stuff for free but a 2 year contract. I called and asked for a 100.00$ credit if I bought a new HR24 form solid signal and got it with no problems. It is always good to call and ask. 

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

You'd probably be interested in the Genie then. Call up and see what they can offer you. You might get lucky with a free upgrade.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

I had an HR21, had been swapped a year ago because of flaky drive so I was on the protection plan. The protection plan now allows a "free" upgrade every two years, I called and got a Genie (happens that it is a new HR44 instead of HR34) plus client (added Directv connected TV location) installed for free with new 2-year commitment. The HR44 is of course a great improvement on the HR21, and the client at a TV that only had basic cable previously (though there is a laptop hooked to it) makes my wife even happier. Before the protection plan change, I had called to ask about a Genie and was quoted $450 or something for install despite my long customer history (12 years), etc. Some of that may just be CSR roulette, the HR34 in that quote needed a separate CCK but free & faster is better.

Edited by h_a_h_3, 05 September 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   wxman1969

wxman1969

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Appreciate all the info and tips. I called and was immediately offered several upgrades, including the Genie (HR-34 , not the 44, though I did ask), a Genie mini (which I'm still not quite sure what it does), Showtime for 3 months, and a $10 discount off my monthly bill for the next two years. I did have to agree to a two year contract which is fine. I may have been able to hold out to get the $49 fee waved or reduced but decided against it. Will i be able to use the whole home service with a genie and an hr21-100?

#6 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Appreciate all the info and tips. I called and was immediately offered several upgrades, including the Genie (HR-34 , not the 44, though I did ask), a Genie mini (which I'm still not quite sure what it does), Showtime for 3 months, and a $10 discount off my monthly bill for the next two years. I did have to agree to a two year contract which is fine. I may have been able to hold out to get the $49 fee waved or reduced but decided against it. Will i be able to use the whole home service with a genie and an hr21-100?

Not sure on the wholehome, buy push them on the $49 fee. If they want your business, they'll give it to you for free. You're a loyal customer and signing a new contract. You then lease their equipment - you shouldn't have to pay for it IMO

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

If you only have two tvs, then it sounds like you are getting a genie and a client for them.  The hr21 will work fine with MRV if you want it to, but after the genie, Id just watch its shows and deactivate it eventually.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

As for whether you'll get a HR34 or HR44, it actually just depends on what the tech has on the truck. It's very possible (or not) that you will get an HR44. When the tech arrives, ask them what they have.

- Merg

#9 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

I was told that all they install is the 44s in the Atlanta market as of my upgrade a few weeks ago

#10 OFFLINE   wxman1969

wxman1969

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Having trouble setting up an installation date as the install calendar online still shows unavailable and when I called they told me there are no times available. Evidently I'm still within the 72 hour call back window for the installer but just barely (by about 2 hours). I tried to have them just mail me the equipment and drop the $49 install charge but they said it had to be professionally installed. That's bogus, but what's frustrating me more is not being able to set an install date. Is this a common problem with Directv upgrades and installs? It's been a long time since I had someone come out to do anything.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Having trouble setting up an installation date as the install calendar online still shows unavailable and when I called they told me there are no times available. Evidently I'm still within the 72 hour call back window for the installer but just barely (by about 2 hours). I tried to have them just mail me the equipment and drop the $49 install charge but they said it had to be professionally installed. That's bogus, but what's frustrating me more is not being able to set an install date. Is this a common problem with Directv upgrades and installs? It's been a long time since I had someone come out to do anything.

I'm not following you. Do you have an appointment scheduled or not? If you already have one scheduled, sometimes it is not possible to reschedule. You might need to cancel and then place the order again. As for the installation, from your OP it does not sound like you have a SWM system, so you need to be upgraded to that. It is DirecTV policy to have a tech come out and perform that upgrade. It's more than just sending out the receivers to you.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#12 OFFLINE   wxman1969

wxman1969

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

No appointment. When I made the order last week the CSR told me someone from the install team would call within 72 hours, or after 48 hours I could go online and schedule it myself. Almost 72 hours later the online calendar is still telling me it's unavailable and when I called Directv today the CSR told me they still can't schedule anything but that the 72 hour window for the install team to call me still has a couple hours left. Don't know what an SWM system but I'm assuming that's the one I'm getting with a Genie and a Genie mini. Just seemed easy enough to do myself and considering the trouble I'm having just getting an install time I thought I could save everyone the hassle. But the CSR basically told me the same thing you did. Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. Either way, I just want to get it done.

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

No appointment. When I made the order last week the CSR told me someone from the install team would call within 72 hours, or after 48 hours I could go online and schedule it myself. Almost 72 hours later the online calendar is still telling me it's unavailable and when I called Directv today the CSR told me they still can't schedule anything but that the 72 hour window for the install team to call me still has a couple hours left. Don't know what an SWM system but I'm assuming that's the one I'm getting with a Genie and a Genie mini. Just seemed easy enough to do myself and considering the trouble I'm having just getting an install time I thought I could save everyone the hassle. But the CSR basically told me the same thing you did. Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. Either way, I just want to get it done.

If you have 2 wires going to your DVR, you have a legacy system. Basically, you need 1 coax for each tuner in the receiver. With a Genie system, you need a SWM setup (Single Wire Multiswitch), which allows one coax to carry the signal for multiple tuners. If you are going to have 8 or less tuners in your setup, you will have your dish LNB swapped out and any Multiswitch you have installed will be removed and replaced with a splitter. Due to all the hardware that needs to be swapped out/replaced and possible other equipment that needs to be added to your current receivers, it is usually easier to let DirecTV do the work.

As for the install team contacting you, give it the full 72 hours and if you don't hear from them, give them a call back after then.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#14 OFFLINE   wxman1969

wxman1969

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

Got it. The CSR didn't mention swapping the multiswitch but did say my oval dish was fine. Didn't know about the SWM setup. That's great. Less wires. Thanks for the info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...