Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV HR24 lost network connection after new router

Best Answer BMWBig6 , 14 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

DirecTV's new equipment fixed the problem.  Yesterday they successfully installed a Genie and Genie Mini yesterday, replacing my 2 H24 HD receivers and relocating 2 HR24 DVRs.  They removed the old BB CCK, and replaced it with a new Broadband "Connected Home Adapter" that looks like this:

DIRECTV_DCA2SR0_01_deca2_ethernet_to_coa

When everything was booted up, they were immediately assigned IP addresses by the router's DHCP server.  They connected to the internet within seconds, and Whole Home as well as internet services like OnDemand, etc. work great!

Thanks everyone for your help in troubleshooting this issue.  I never learned why it happened in the first place, but the new DECA II adapter did the trick!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

The power supply on my old router (Netgear WNDR3700) died, so I upgraded to a new Netgear R6300v2.  I basically mirrored the old configuration from the old router, but the new router automatically chose a different LAN subnet (presumably to avoid an IP conflict?) so all of the client devices' new IP address assignments are in the 10.0.0.X range (when formerly they were in the 192.168.1.X range).  I think this is a clue related to my problem.

When I turned on my new router, all of my computer clients, NAS devices, phones, and tablets connected to the internet just fine.  However, when I connected my router to the DirecTV HR24 via ethernet cable (into an inline DECA adapter to transmit ethernet data into the coax cable), I immediately lose internet connectivity on all of my client devices. Yes, I said all of my devices (phones, computers, etc. all lose internet access but retain their Wi-Fi or wired connection to the router).  As soon as I disconnect my DirecTV HR24 receiver from the network, the internet indicator light on my router changes from orange to green and internet access is instantly restored on all of my clients.  (How can connecting a single client affect the internet access of all the other clients?)

Just to be clear, the ethernet cable from the router goes into the DECA adapter (which in turn converts the signal to coax, which goes into the receiver).  I did not connect anything directly to the ethernet ports on the back of the receiver.  This was the how the DirecTV guys set it up when it worked fine with my old router.  The only change I made was substituting a new router (no changes to any of the physical connections).

Here is what I have already tried:

• On HR24 Receiver:
    • MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS = NO CHANGE (FAIL)
    • Manually assigning an IP address (and subnet, gateway, DNS, etc.) in the 10.0.0.X range = NO CHANGE (FAIL)
    • Resetting the DECA network:

1. Disconnect AC power from each DVR and Receiver

2. Disconnect power from the DECA BB Adapter (black or white DECA BB box) or wireless adapter.

3. Disconnect power from the SWM dish Power Inserter (do you know where yours is located)?

4. Disconnect then reconnect AC power on your home network gateway/router and modem.

5. Wait a few minutes for the router to reset

6. Re-power the SWM Power Inserter.

7. Re-power the DECA Broadband Adapter or wireless adapter.

8. Re-power each DVR and Receiver

• Repeating Network Setup = NO CHANGE (FAIL)

The exact error result code is 86 (no network connectivity)

• On Netgear R6300v2 Router
    • Powered down and rebooted with and without other clients to see if other device conflicts were to blame = NO CHANGE (FAIL)

One thing I have not tried is to make a static LAN IP address reservation (using the receiver's MAC ID if I can find it?).

In case it matters, I have 3 HR24's (HD DVRs) and 2 H24 (HD Receivers) all connected with Whole Home on a SWM network.  I turn all of the other receivers off when troubleshooting, as I cannot seem to get the "main" HR24 online (the one with the DECA network adapter attached to it).

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips at this point?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by BMWBig6, 05 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Ben

DirecTV HR44-700 (Genie), C41-500 (Genie Mini), HR24-200, HR24-100, Genie Go (Nomad)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

The power supply on my old router (Netgear WNDR3700) died, so I upgraded to a new Netgear R6300v2.  I basically mirrored the old configuration from the old router, but the new router automatically chose a different LAN subnet (presumably to avoid an IP conflict?) so all of the client devices' new IP address assignments are in the 10.0.0.X range (when formerly they were in the 192.168.1.X range).  I think this is a clue related to my problem.

When I turned on my new router, all of my computer clients, NAS devices, phones, and tablets connected to the internet just fine.  However, when I connected my router to the DirecTV HR24 via ethernet cable (into an inline DECA adapter to transmit ethernet data into the coax cable), I immediately lose internet connectivity on all of my client devices. Yes, I said all of my devices (phones, computers, etc. all lose internet access but retain their Wi-Fi or wired connection to the router).  As soon as I disconnect my DirecTV HR24 receiver from the network, the internet indicator light on my router changes from orange to green and internet access is instantly restored on all of my clients.  (How can connecting a single client affect the internet access of all the other clients?)

Here is what I have already tried:

• On HR24 Receiver:
    • MENU ➜ SETTINGS & HELP ➜ SETTINGS ➜ NETWORK SET UP ➜ RESTORE DEFAULTS = NO CHANGE (FAIL)
    • Manually assigning an IP address (and subnet, gateway, DNS, etc.) in the 10.0.0.X range = NO CHANGE (FAIL)
    • Resetting the DECA network:

1. Disconnect AC power from each DVR and Receiver

2. Disconnect power from the DECA BB Adapter (black or white DECA BB box) or wireless adapter.

3. Disconnect power from the SWM dish Power Inserter (do you know where yours is located)?

4. Disconnect then reconnect AC power on your home network gateway/router and modem.

5. Wait a few minutes for the router to reset

6. Re-power the SWM Power Inserter.

7. Re-power the DECA Broadband Adapter or wireless adapter.

8. Re-power each DVR and Receiver

• Repeating Network Setup = NO CHANGE (FAIL)

The exact error result code is 86 (no network connectivity)

• On Netgear R6300v2 Router
    • Powered down and rebooted with and without other clients to see if other device conflicts were to blame = NO CHANGE (FAIL)

One thing I have not tried is to make a static LAN IP address reservation (using the receiver's MAC ID if I can find it?).

In case it matters, I have 3 HR24's (HD DVRs) and 2 H24 (HD Receivers) all connected with Whole Home on a SWM network.  I turn all of the other receivers off when troubleshooting, as I cannot seem to get the "main" HR24 online (the one with the DECA network adapter attached to it).

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips at this point?  Thanks in advance!

Can you save your router config and try to reset to its default settings? See if this fixes anything and then start to change settings one at a time as needed

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Yes! Do not connect ethernet to an HR24 in a DECA setup! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yes! Do not connect ethernet to an HR24 in a DECA setup! 

I should have been more clear, the ethernet cable from the router goes into the DECA adapter (which in turn converts the signal to coax, which goes into the receiver).  I did not connect anything directly to the ethernet ports on the back of the receiver.  This was the how the DirecTV guys set it up when it worked fine with my old router.  The only change I made was substituting a new router (no changes to any of the physical connections).

Ben

DirecTV HR44-700 (Genie), C41-500 (Genie Mini), HR24-200, HR24-100, Genie Go (Nomad)

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

To be clear, there's no ethernet direct into the HR24 (from the CCK or anything.)?

Is the other router completely off line? (The 10.10's I have seen were only when I had two routers in play)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

You can try a network reboot. disconnect the DECA from the router, power down your computers turn wifi off on phones/tablets, unplug the router and modem.

Then boot up everything starting at the modem, waiting for each part to full boot before plunging the next item in, boot your main computer prior to re-connecting the DECA to the router to ensure your computer is controlling the network and the DTV system.

This has solved conflict issues on my network for me in the past and that's what it sounds like to me, something is blocking the dtv system from getting online. factory reset of the router would be the next step i would take and make sure your main computer and the modem are the only items it can find when it first powers on. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

I see that you did manually assign IP addresses at one time. Perform a Network Reset to have it revert to DHCP and post the IP addresses that it comes up with. Is Whole Home working among your receivers still? - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

I should have been more clear, the ethernet cable from the router goes into the DECA adapter (which in turn converts the signal to coax, which goes into the receiver).  I did not connect anything directly to the ethernet ports on the back of the receiver.  This was the how the DirecTV guys set it up when it worked fine with my old router.  The only change I made was substituting a new router (no changes to any of the physical connections).

So you don't have a CCK - you have a DECA Adapter (like this: http://www.solidsign...eca--(deca1mr01)

or this: 

http://www.solidsign...eca2--(dca2sr0)

but not this one: 

http://www.solidsign...it-(decabb1r0)

)which is feeding your Internet connection into the DECA network?

Can you check to see if there are any firmware upgrades available for your router?

Also - I know others said not to plug the Ethernet directly into your HR24, but for a test - can you do this?  You may lose connection to your other receivers because the HR24 will be off the DECA network, but it might shed some light on the problem.  Unplug the Ethernet cable from the DECA Adapter, plug it directly into the HR24 - Restore Network defaults and reboot the HR24.  If everything works it should grab an IP address from your Router and have Internet access (Youtube, Pandora, Directv on Demand should work).

If you have a DECA Adapter - it is possible the DECA Adapter needs to be replaced by a Cinema Connection Kit  (CCK) - the third link I have above.  You can find them on eBay usually.

Some other suggestions -

I would try a different port on your router too for the CCK, just incase that one is bad.  Also - try using a different Ethernet cable just to eliminate the possibility that the cable got messed up when you switched routers.

Edited by LiQiCE, 05 September 2013 - 06:14 PM.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

So you don't have a CCK - you have a DECA Adapter (like this: http://www.solidsign...eca--(deca1mr01)

or this:

but not this one:

Can you check to see if there are any firmware upgrades available for your router?

Also - I know others said not to plug the Ethernet directly into your HR24, but for a test - can you do this? You may lose connection to your other receivers because the HR24 will be off the DECA network, but it might shed some light on the problem. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the DECA Adapter, plug it directly into the HR24 - Restore Network defaults and reboot the HR24. If everything works it should grab an IP address from your Router and have Internet access (Youtube, Pandora, Directv on Demand should work).

If you have a DECA Adapter - it is possible the DECA Adapter needs to be replaced by a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) - the third link I have above. You can find them on eBay usually.

Good points. If a DECA adapter is being used, it needs to have a PI to power it, although he makes reference to a coax going from the CCK to the HR24, which leads me to believe he has the wireless CCK with the coax pass through and that would have a PI with it. In either case, a PI needs to be used.

As for hooking up the HR24 directly to Ethernet, that is a good test, but let's see what the IP addresses are of the receivers first.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

The router is trying to tell you something by turning the diagnostic indicator to orange. You might find answers if you pursue what the orange diagnostic means.

Are your DIRECTV receivers manually configured for 192.168.x.x addresses? That might cause the router to send up a flare that you're screwing up as there's no longer a gateway at 192.168.1.1.

Converting the DHCP address space to 192.168.1.x is part of the process if you're truly going to mirror the functionality of the old router.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

The router is trying to tell you something by turning the diagnostic indicator to orange. You might find answers if you pursue what the orange diagnostic means.

Are your DIRECTV receivers manually configured for 192.168.x.x addresses? That might cause the router to send up a flare that you're screwing up as there's no longer a gateway at 192.168.1.1.

Converting the DHCP address space to 192.168.1.x is part of the process if you're truly going to mirror the functionality of the old router.

It shouldn't matter what IPs you're using.  The DTV receivers should be setup to DHCP by default and will grab a new IP when the receiver reboots.  The OP also tried a static IP address with the new IP subnet so that should eliminate the possibility that the receiver is trying the old IPs.

Also - you can use whatever IP addresses you want on the router as long as you don't expect the traffic to be routed through the router onto the Internet.  Without getting into too much detail on networks (I'm not a network person but know just enough to be dangerous :) ) - the local switch in the router operates at a layer where it doesn't care about IP addresses - it simply passes packets based on the MAC address to the correct port.  It isn't until you route data onto the Internet that you care about the IP (for simple home routers this is the typical use case).  Obviously you can't have two MACs with the same IP address but otherwise, if the HR24s are using a different IP on the router like 192.168.x.x - it would still be able to talk to the other HR24s if they are on the same subnet, it just would not be able to talk to other devices on the network in a different subnet or access the Internet.

• The Merg likes this

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

It shouldn't matter what IPs you're using.  The DTV receivers should be setup to DHCP by default and will grab a new IP when the receiver reboots.  The OP also tried a static IP address with the new IP subnet so that should eliminate the possibility that the receiver is trying the old IPs.

Also - you can use whatever IP addresses you want on the router as long as you don't expect the traffic to be routed through the router onto the Internet.  Without getting into too much detail on networks (I'm not a network person but know just enough to be dangerous :) ) - the local switch in the router operates at a layer where it doesn't care about IP addresses - it simply passes packets based on the MAC address to the correct port.  It isn't until you route data onto the Internet that you care about the IP (for simple home routers this is the typical use case).  Obviously you can't have two MACs with the same IP address but otherwise, if the HR24s are using a different IP on the router like 192.168.x.x - it would still be able to talk to the other HR24s if they are on the same subnet, it just would not be able to talk to other devices on the network in a different subnet or access the Internet.

You got it!

- Merg

#13 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

BTW- Thinking about this - I have experienced very similar symptoms when I was using my HR23-700 as a bridge to the Internet for my DECA network.  Just like you - unplugging the HR23 from my network fixed the issue for my other devices.  Just like you I would lose Internet access on my client devices - I never figured out why it was happening other than the DTV receivers were the culprit.

I think at the time I had a Linksys WRT600N running DD-WRT and plugged into a Gigabit switch in my home theater stand.

In your case you have a different path to the Internet (DECA Adapter), so it isn't exactly the same.  But my solution was to get the Cinema Connection Kit.

I can't explain why this worked for you before and now it isn't working unfortunately.

#14 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

First off, thank you everyone for your enthusiastic support and ideas!  Let me try and address your comments one at a time.

To be clear, there's no ethernet direct into the HR24 (from the CCK or anything.)?

Is the other router completely off line? (The 10.10's I have seen were only when I had two routers in play)

Right, the ethernet port on the rear of the HR24 is open/empty.  Not sure what a CCK is?

The other (old) router is in the trash.  When I reset my router tonight, it again used the 10.X IP address range for LAN DHCP address assignments and gave some warning like "To avoid address conflicts with your ISP, the router will use 10.0.0.X addresses instead."  So the router has consistently done this. 

You can try a network reboot. disconnect the DECA from the router, power down your computers turn wifi off on phones/tablets, unplug the router and modem.

Then boot up everything starting at the modem, waiting for each part to full boot before plunging the next item in, boot your main computer prior to re-connecting the DECA to the router to ensure your computer is controlling the network and the DTV system.

This has solved conflict issues on my network for me in the past and that's what it sounds like to me, something is blocking the dtv system from getting online. factory reset of the router would be the next step i would take and make sure your main computer and the modem are the only items it can find when it first powers on. 

Just to be 100% completely sure, I went back to my Westell modem and confirmed it was in "bridged ethernet" mode.  I even swapped it back to normal PPPoE mode, tested it while wired to a computer, then changed it back to bridged mode.  I reset the router and only connected 1 computer to view the router settings, and there was no improvement once I brought the DECA back online.

I see that you did manually assign IP addresses at one time. Perform a Network Reset to have it revert to DHCP and post the IP addresses that it comes up with. Is Whole Home working among your receivers still? - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

When I restore all network defaults, I see a receiver IP of 169.254.6.150 on the 255.255.0.0 (incorrect) subnet.  The correct subnet should be 255.255.255.0.  I reset the router and only connected 1 computer to view the router settings, and wired the ethernet directly to the back of the single HR24 DirecTV receiver while bypassing the DECA adapter and was able to get a DHCP-assigned IP address in the 10.0.0.X range on the correct 255.255.255.0 subnet and successfully obtained an internet connection on the receiver.  But the Whole Home network was unavailable as I could not see the other receivers on the SWM network.  When I reconnected the ethernet to the DECA adapter, I could see the other receivers again on Whole Home, but of course I lose my internet connection on all clients.  So the DECA is definitely contributing to the problem if I can get the standalone receiver on the internet without disrupting the other router clients.  Is there a way to connect to my existing SWM and Whole Home network without the DECA adapter?

or this: 

but not this one: 

Also - I know others said not to plug the Ethernet directly into your HR24, but for a test - can you do this?  You may lose connection to your other receivers because the HR24 will be off the DECA network, but it might shed some light on the problem.  Unplug the Ethernet cable from the DECA Adapter, plug it directly into the HR24 - Restore Network defaults and reboot the HR24.  If everything works it should grab an IP address from your Router and have Internet access (Youtube, Pandora, Directv on Demand should work).

If you have a DECA Adapter - it is possible the DECA Adapter needs to be replaced by a Cinema Connection Kit  (CCK) - the third link I have above.  You can find them on eBay usually.

Some other suggestions -

I would try a different port on your router too for the CCK, just incase that one is bad.  Also - try using a different Ethernet cable just to eliminate the possibility that the cable got messed up when you switched routers.

My DECA adapter look like the one in your 3rd link and has "DECABB1MR0-01" printed on the green label on the bottom of the adapter.  I notice that only the Power and c.Link indicator lights are illuminated (blinking or flashing) when I bring the DECA and receiver online while connected to the new router.  The "NTWK" light is not illuminated.  I assume all 3 should be on and solid (not blinking) when it's running correctly?

DECABB1R0_medlrg.jpg

I notice that the DECA adapter has its own MAC ID, so could I make a static IP address assignment for the adapter itself?  I don't see a reset button on it anywhere.

I am on the latest router firmware.  Different ports were tried, with same result.  I don't really know the difference between a DECA adapter and CCK.  And I don't understand why I would suddenly need one now just because I changed router models.

Good points. If a DECA adapter is being used, it needs to have a PI to power it, although he makes reference to a coax going from the CCK to the HR24, which leads me to believe he has the wireless CCK with the coax pass through and that would have a PI with it. In either case, a PI needs to be used.

As for hooking up the HR24 directly to Ethernet, that is a good test, but let's see what the IP addresses are of the receivers first.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a PI?  There is a separate power brick for the DECA adapter, which I have disconnected when performing my resets.

I checked the IP addresses of all of my receivers, and they were all in the 169.254.X.X range.  I performed a restore network defaults and the IP addresses stayed the same.

I couldn't find any meaningful error codes or anything about the orange indicator light on the router.  The manual suggests checking physical connections and other very basic things that I have already verified.

None of the receivers appear to be manually configured for static IP addresses.  The "configuration type" shows "Automatic" in the menu but I honestly don't know if that includes IP addresses too.

I have not tried reverting to a 192.168.1.X address range, but that is one thing I could try (tomorrow).

BTW- Thinking about this - I have experienced very similar symptoms when I was using my HR23-700 as a bridge to the Internet for my DECA network.  Just like you - unplugging the HR23 from my network fixed the issue for my other devices.  Just like you I would lose Internet access on my client devices - I never figured out why it was happening other than the DTV receivers were the culprit.

I think at the time I had a Linksys WRT600N running DD-WRT and plugged into a Gigabit switch in my home theater stand.

In your case you have a different path to the Internet (DECA Adapter), so it isn't exactly the same.  But my solution was to get the Cinema Connection Kit.

I can't explain why this worked for you before and now it isn't working unfortunately.

Yes, that is exactly the same phenomenon I am experiencing too!

Ben

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

Okay, we're getting somewhere. The IP addresses the receivers have of 169.254.x.x is referred to as APIPA. The receivers are basically creating their own private network amongst themselves. When you plugged in the Ethernet cable directly to the HR24 and it got an IP address from the router, you turned off its internal DECA so while it could see the Internet, it couldn't see the other receivers. You appear to have the original Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). You should have an Ethernet cable plugged into the CCK and a coax cable as well. The PI is the Power Inserter (or power supply) for the CCK. You did state that the CCK was in-line with the HR24, however, the photo you showed only has one coax port. Are you sure you don't have this one?

CCK-W_zoom.jpgCCK-W_1_zoom.jpg

The issue we have to figure out is why the CCK is not allowing the router to assign IP addresses to your receivers. - Merg

#16 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

Ok, P/N DECABB1MR0-01 is the CCK (not the wireless one) similar to the one I posted in the 3rd link, so it isn't a wireless CCK.  The NTWK light should be blinking - that would indicate you have a link on the Ethernet side of things.  If the light is off - that indicates you don't have a link. 

It could be that the CCK is bad - I doubt it would make a difference but have you been unplugging the CCK from the power brick when you've changed cables and then plugged it back in?  Not doing so could have fried the CCK.

You may be able to call DTV and ask for a replacement and get it replaced for free.

However, just for the heck of it - have you tried a different Ethernet cable to the CCK?  The cable could be bad.

You said using the HR24 with Ethernet works - so agreed the problem is likely the CCK. 

Also is there anywhere else in the house that has an Ethernet drop and Coax where you can try moving the CCK to?

I agree with you that changing routers shouldn't have made a difference - but obviously it did - so just trying different things that might give us more information.

Not sure if you can assign an IP to the CCK - although it has a MAC address - I don't think it operates at the TCP/IP layer.

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

The reason I asked about the CCK, is that if you have the wireless CCK, it's possible the wireless function is turned on, especially if you reset the CCK. If you are going to use it in a hardwired mode, you need to turn off the wireless setting. 

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Okay, we're getting somewhere. The IP addresses the receivers have of 169.254.x.x is referred to as APIPA. The receivers are basically creating their own private network amongst themselves. When you plugged in the Ethernet cable directly to the HR24 and it got an IP address from the router, you turned off its internal DECA so while it could see the Internet, it couldn't see the other receivers. You appear to have the original Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). You should have an Ethernet cable plugged into the CCK and a coax cable as well. The PI is the Power Inserter (or power supply) for the CCK. You did state that the CCK was in-line with the HR24, however, the photo you showed only has one coax port. Are you sure you don't have this one? The issue we have to figure out is why the CCK is not allowing the router to assign IP addresses to your receivers. - Merg

This is the DECA Adapter (which you refer to as "original CCK") that I have:

deca1.jpg

deca2.jpg

There is only one coax going to the CCK.  It goes to this Y splitter (see photo below), which in turns has one line going to the receiver and another to the multiswitch for the whole house.

splitter.jpg

The issue we have to figure out is why the CCK is not allowing the router to assign IP addresses to your receivers.

I agree this is the problem that needs to be solved!

Ok, P/N DECABB1MR0-01 is the CCK (not the wireless one) similar to the one I posted in the 3rd link, so it isn't a wireless CCK.  The NTWK light should be blinking - that would indicate you have a link on the Ethernet side of things.  If the light is off - that indicates you don't have a link. 

It could be that the CCK is bad - I doubt it would make a difference but have you been unplugging the CCK from the power brick when you've changed cables and then plugged it back in?  Not doing so could have fried the CCK.

You may be able to call DTV and ask for a replacement and get it replaced for free.

However, just for the heck of it - have you tried a different Ethernet cable to the CCK?  The cable could be bad.

You said using the HR24 with Ethernet works - so agreed the problem is likely the CCK. 

Also is there anywhere else in the house that has an Ethernet drop and Coax where you can try moving the CCK to?

I agree with you that changing routers shouldn't have made a difference - but obviously it did - so just trying different things that might give us more information.

Not sure if you can assign an IP to the CCK - although it has a MAC address - I don't think it operates at the TCP/IP layer.

Yes, I unplugged the CCK (I will no longer use the term DECA adapter if that is incorrect) when bypassing the CCK and reconnecting it to restore the previous configuration. That is the only time i handled any physical connections on the DirecTV equipment (previous to that, I only changed the router in another room by disconnecting the ethernet cables from the old router in that room and reconnecting them to the new router).

I don't suspect an ethernet cable problem, because I re-used that same ethernet cable when I bypassed the CCK and connected directly to the back of the HR24. It connected to the internet just fine using the same cable.

There is no where else in the house with both an ethernet and coax drop.  However, I do have a Netgear wireless ethernet adapter I could try (but that might introduce other variables).  Do I have to have a receiver at the coax site too, or can I just try to power the CCK in another room without a receiver connected to it?  (When I reconnected the CCK after my bypass experiment, I noticed that the CCK indicator lights would not light up until the receiver was turned on, so I guess it's like a slave device in that respect?)

I guess I could just call DirecTV and have them come out and investigate.  I may be at the point of diminishing returns trying to troubleshoot this further myself.

Ben

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

The device you have should not be connected directly to a receiver in any way. It should have its own coax cable (either coming from the wall or from a splitter). The Ethernet cable that you have plugged into the CCK is going back to your router, correct? And with the splitter you are showing, one output is going to your receiver and the other is going to the CCK, correct?

One other thing to try is to switch the coax cables from the splitter to the CCK/receiver.

- Merg

#20 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

This is the DECA Adapter (which you refer to as "original CCK") that I have:

There is only one coax going to the CCK.  It goes to this Y splitter (see photo below), which in turns has one line going to the receiver and another to the multiswitch for the whole house.

I agree this is the problem that needs to be solved!

Yes, I unplugged the CCK (I will no longer use the term DECA adapter if that is incorrect) when bypassing the CCK and reconnecting it to restore the previous configuration. That is the only time i handled any physical connections on the DirecTV equipment (previous to that, I only changed the router in another room by disconnecting the ethernet cables from the old router in that room and reconnecting them to the new router).

I don't suspect an ethernet cable problem, because I re-used that same ethernet cable when I bypassed the CCK and connected directly to the back of the HR24. It connected to the internet just fine using the same cable.

There is no where else in the house with both an ethernet and coax drop.  However, I do have a Netgear wireless ethernet adapter I could try (but that might introduce other variables).  Do I have to have a receiver at the coax site too, or can I just try to power the CCK in another room without a receiver connected to it?  (When I reconnected the CCK after my bypass experiment, I noticed that the CCK indicator lights would not light up until the receiver was turned on, so I guess it's like a slave device in that respect?)

I guess I could just call DirecTV and have them come out and investigate.  I may be at the point of diminishing returns trying to troubleshoot this further myself.

A receiver isn't needed to be in the other location but that coax has to be connected to your SWM multiswitch (generally you'd connect it to the SWM splitter where the rest of your coax connects to it).

The CCK shouldn't require the receiver be on to work - it should always have its lights on.  If it only is working when the receiver is turned on you may have something cabled wrong.  Like Merg said, it should have its own coax connection and not be piggybacked to the HR24.  Having it on a splitter like you showed is fine though.

Where is the Power Inserter located for your SWM?  There should be a power brick that only connects to coax to power the SWM.  Is it in this same area or is it somewhere else?

Edited by LiQiCE, 06 September 2013 - 07:49 AM.

spam firewall