Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV HR24 lost network connection after new router

Best Answer BMWBig6 , 14 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

DirecTV's new equipment fixed the problem.  Yesterday they successfully installed a Genie and Genie Mini yesterday, replacing my 2 H24 HD receivers and relocating 2 HR24 DVRs.  They removed the old BB CCK, and replaced it with a new Broadband "Connected Home Adapter" that looks like this:

DIRECTV_DCA2SR0_01_deca2_ethernet_to_coa

When everything was booted up, they were immediately assigned IP addresses by the router's DHCP server.  They connected to the internet within seconds, and Whole Home as well as internet services like OnDemand, etc. work great!

Thanks everyone for your help in troubleshooting this issue.  I never learned why it happened in the first place, but the new DECA II adapter did the trick!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

That would be BBCCK. You said the Network light is staying off but the same Ethernet cable will bring the HR24 online if you direct wire it?

And just to be sure I have the cabling right in my head, it goes like this

Wall->spliter->1;Receiver 2;BBCCK 

-OR-

Wall->Spliter->1; SWiM PI->Receiver 2;BBCCK

Or is it differant from the above two?

It's unlikely that anything died when the new router was installed I just think something is having a hissy fit, and we just to figure out the reason and use the correct bribery  :group: we will help you fix it! or give it everything we got any how  :righton:

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

The device you have should not be connected directly to a receiver in any way. It should have its own coax cable (either coming from the wall or from a splitter). The Ethernet cable that you have plugged into the CCK is going back to your router, correct? And with the splitter you are showing, one output is going to your receiver and the other is going to the CCK, correct?

One other thing to try is to switch the coax cables from the splitter to the CCK/receiver.

- Merg

Correct, the CCK is not directly connected to the HR24 in any way.  The coax coming out of it goes to the Y splitter, and one of those downstream coax cables then goes into the back of the HR24.

What do you mean by switching the coax cables?  Do you mean exchanging them in place, or changing the configuration (bypassing the HR24 and just connecting the CCK to the router)?

A receiver isn't needed to be in the other location but that coax has to be connected to your SWM multiswitch (generally you'd connect it to the SWM splitter where the rest of your coax connects to it).

The CCK shouldn't require the receiver be on to work - it should always have its lights on.  If it only is working when the receiver is turned on you may have something cabled wrong.  Like Merg said, it should have its own coax connection and not be piggybacked to the HR24.  Having it on a splitter like you showed is fine though.

Where is the Power Inserter located for your SWM?  There should be a power brick that only connects to coax to power the SWM.  Is it in this same area or is it somewhere else?

Unfortunately, I don't have another location that is connected to the SWM with an ethernet drop too.

I don't disagree that something may not be cabled properly (every DirecTV tech that shows up at my house scratches their head and says "why did the last guy choose to wire things this way" and proceeds to completely rewire the whole house again... this has happened once every other year since we moved here in 2006), though if the only change was the router, should I not expect what worked previously should continue to work now?  Maybe that is an unreasonable assumption.  :)  Nothing is directly piggy-backing off of the HR24, the ethernet goes into the CCK, which has coax output to the Y splitter, which in turn goes into the wall and the HR24.  I just know when I remove the CCK from the equation by bypassing it altogether, I get internet connectivity again (but can't see the other receivers in Whole Home).

Is there another way to preserve or connect to my Whole Home without the CCK?  Or is that the only way my receivers can see each other (short of calling DirecTV and having them install more new equipment)?

The PI for the SWM is actually upstairs behind a different receiver in another room.

Edited by BMWBig6, 06 September 2013 - 08:01 AM.

Ben

DirecTV HR44-700 (Genie), C41-500 (Genie Mini), HR24-200, HR24-100, Genie Go (Nomad)

#23 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

That would be BBCCK. You said the Network light is staying off but the same Ethernet cable will bring the HR24 online if you direct wire it?

And just to be sure I have the cabling right in my head, it goes like this

-OR-

Wall->Spliter->1; SWiM PI->Receiver 2;BBCCK

Or is it differant from the above two?

It's unlikely that anything died when the new router was installed I just think something is having a hissy fit, and we just to figure out the reason and use the correct bribery  :group: we will help you fix it! or give it everything we got any how  :righton:

Yes, the NTWK light has never illuminated since I got my new router.  And the other 2 lights continue blinking (they are never solid).

This is my setup (since the SWM PI is upstairs):

I agree that a single component failure (or configuration conflict) is likely causing all of this headache (hissy fit).  I still suspect an IP address conflict since the one thing that did change with my new router was DHCP address reservation in the 10.0.0.X space (vs. 192/168.1.X space on old router).  This might explain why all of my clients are immediately affected and lose their internet connection.  I can't for the life of me explain why else the other clients would be involved.

If the BBCCK has a MAC ID on it, why can't I assign a static IP to it?  (Too bad the old router died, or I could reconnect it and see which MAC ID is displayed in the old configuration--the HR24's or the BBCCK's).

Edited by BMWBig6, 06 September 2013 - 08:07 AM.

Ben

DirecTV HR44-700 (Genie), C41-500 (Genie Mini), HR24-200, HR24-100, Genie Go (Nomad)

#24 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Correct, the CCK is not directly connected to the HR24 in any way.  The coax coming out of it goes to the Y splitter, and one of those downstream coax cables then goes into the back of the HR24.

What do you mean by switching the coax cables?  Do you mean exchanging them in place, or changing the configuration (bypassing the HR24 and just connecting the CCK to the router)?

Unfortunately, I don't have another location that is connected to the SWM with an ethernet drop too.

I don't disagree that something may not be cabled properly (every DirecTV tech that shows up at my house scratches their head and says "why did the last guy choose to wire things this way" and proceeds to completely rewire the whole house again... this has happened once every other year since we moved here in 2006), though if the only change was the router, should I not expect what worked previously should continue to work now?  Maybe that is an unreasonable assumption.  :)  Nothing is directly piggy-backing off of the HR24, the ethernet goes into the CCK, which has coax output to the Y splitter, which in turn goes into the wall and the HR24.  I just know when I remove the CCK from the equation by bypassing it altogether, I get internet connectivity again (but can't see the other receivers in Whole Home).

Is there another way to preserve or connect to my Whole Home without the CCK?  Or is that the only way my receivers can see each other (short of calling DirecTV and having them install more new equipment)?

The PI for the SWM is actually upstairs behind a different receiver in another room.

It isn't unreasonable at all :)

You can preserve Whole Home (but not Internet access) without the CCK.  MultiRoom Viewing will continue to work if you just have your receivers hooked up without the CCK.  That is where those AutoDHCP 169.187.* addresses come into play.

If you don't use Directv On Demand, TV Apps, YouTube or Pandora, you can just get rid of the CCK all together and reboot all of your receivers and let them automatically pick an IP address and they should be able to see each other for MRV.

If it doesn't then that is really strange.

One interesting thing you said - the CCK coax goes into the splitter which then goes into the HR24 and the wall?  I just want to confirm on the splitter, the "IN" is coming from the Wall, and one "OUT" is going to the CCK and one "OUT" is going to the HR24 right?

The CCK should not be connected to the "IN" port.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#25 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

Just for arguments sake can you replace the Ethernet cable to the BBCCK to the router with a different one just to make sure it didn't die.

or did you do that already and I missed it? my 1 y/o was up till 3am today I'm running on caffeine ATM.

If this was a CCK-W (wireless type) I'd tell you to factory reset it with the little tiny button on the back, but we can't, maybe this will help, disconnect all cables from the BBCCK, wait 30 seconds and reconnect them, coax, ethernet power and see if we get network connection this time.  

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#26 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

You can preserve Whole Home (but not Internet access) without the CCK.  MultiRoom Viewing will continue to work if you just have your receivers hooked up without the CCK.  That is where those AutoDHCP 169.187.* addresses come into play.

If you don't use Directv On Demand, TV Apps, YouTube or Pandora, you can just get rid of the CCK all together and reboot all of your receivers and let them automatically pick an IP address and they should be able to see each other for MRV.

Spot on. 

#27 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

If it doesn't then that is really strange.

One interesting thing you said - the CCK coax goes into the splitter which then goes into the HR24 and the wall?  I just want to confirm on the splitter, the "IN" is coming from the Wall, and one "OUT" is going to the CCK and one "OUT" is going to the HR24 right?

The CCK should not be connected to the "IN" port.

Well I do sometimes use On Demand, I don't suppose that works over satellite (coax) or phone line very well?  I do use the media apps (photos, music) too.

Yes, I confirmed the IN and OUT connections are correct. When I previously described the connection order, I was looking at it from the perspective of the ethernet as the source (origin) and everything else downstream.  I see now that the convention here is to describe the wall as the source.  Everything appears to be correctly connected from that perspective.

Ben

#28 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Just for arguments sake can you replace the Ethernet cable to the BBCCK to the router with a different one just to make sure it didn't die.

or did you do that already and I missed it? my 1 y/o was up till 3am today I'm running on caffeine ATM.

If this was a CCK-W (wireless type) I'd tell you to factory reset it with the little tiny button on the back, but we can't, maybe this will help, disconnect all cables from the BBCCK, wait 30 seconds and reconnect them, coax, ethernet power and see if we get network connection this time.  

I didn't bother switching ethernet cables since I confirmed last night when I bypassed the BBCCK (wired, not wireless, with no visible reset button that I could find) that the HR24 got online without problems on the same ethernet cable (cable thus seems fine to me).

I tried disconnecting the BBCCK for 30 seconds, and reconnected everything again.  It "boots up" but the NTWK light never illuminates and the other 2 keep blinking. Not to mention all of my house's internet disappears while I keep the ethernet connected to the BBCCK.  :)

Ben

#29 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

I'm starting to wonder if a wireless CCK may get me up and running?  The connection won't be as fast as the Cat6 I have now, and maybe not as reliable, but... ?

Or is there a new product out there (that replaces or supercedes the CCK technology)?  If some of the new receivers have DECA built in, do any have CCK too?

Edited by BMWBig6, 06 September 2013 - 08:31 AM.

Ben

#30 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

I tried disconnecting the BBCCK for 30 seconds, and reconnected everything again.  It "boots up" but the NTWK light never illuminates and the other 2 keep blinking. Not to mention all of my house's internet disappears while I keep the ethernet connected to the BBCCK.  :)

I know you said that in one of your earlier posts but it just now clicked  :bang  sounds like something shorted out in the BBCCK, so it's grounding out your system. I think calling D* and getting a price on repair would be a good step at this point. I don't know if they will still roll a truck for a CCK failure or if they will have you buy a new one. The link to SS web page in the first page will give  you prices for a hardwire one.

And a wireless or wired will get you back online just have to get you a new one from the sounds off it.

#31 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

I'm starting to wonder if a wireless CCK may get me up and running?  The connection won't be as fast as the Cat6 I have now, and maybe not as reliable, but... ?

Or is there a new product out there (that replaces or supercedes the CCK technology)?  If some of the new receivers have DECA built in, do any have CCK too?

A new CCK or a Wireless CCK may work.  I would contact Directv and ask them for a replacement.  Or you can buy one on eBay for around $25.

Also - a Genie has a built in CCK (you plug Ethernet into the Genie and it will share that connection with the rest of your receivers via DECA).

So if you got a Genie - it could replace the CCK.

#32 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

A new CCK or a Wireless CCK may work.  I would contact Directv and ask them for a replacement.  Or you can buy one on eBay for around $25.

Also - a Genie has a built in CCK (you plug Ethernet into the Genie and it will share that connection with the rest of your receivers via DECA).

So if you got a Genie - it could replace the CCK.

Hmm, I don't have Genie yet.  I've been a DirecTV customer for 12-13 years, I bet I could have them come out and upgrade me for little to no cost.

EDIT: In fact, according to my DirecTV account profile:

Good news! You will be eligible for an equipment upgrade September 9, 2013
Your DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN includes an equipment upgrade every 2 years. Come back to this page on the date
stated above to take advantage of this offer.

Edited by BMWBig6, 06 September 2013 - 08:55 AM.

Ben

#33 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hmm, I don't have Genie yet.  I've been a DirecTV customer for 12-13 years, I bet I could have them come out and upgrade me for little to no cost.

EDIT: In fact, according to my DirecTV account profile:

If you have the Protection Plan I would definitely call up and complain about the CCK not working! But you could always wait and just upgrade to a Genie which would remove the need for a CCK.  The HR44 can do both Wireless and Wired network access while the HR34 can only do wired.

#34 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, if the Network light is not coming on at all, it seems like it could be a CCK issue. If you have the PP, you should be able to get it replaced for free. If you opt to use the free upgrade, you will get a Genie for free and as stated, you won't need a CCK then. Just put the Genie where the HR24 is at the CCK location and plug the Ethernet directly into the Genie.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#35 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Very nice that's a nice new feature of the PP free upgrades every 24 months. Take advanage of that.

I'd recommend moving the HR24 to replace the non dvr unit your monthly bill will stay the same and you will add 5 tuners and 200 hours storage vers 3 tuners and 100 hours storage if you replace the DVR with the genie.

In the mean time to get your internet and Whole home working do as Ice suggested and remove the BBCCK and reboot all your units.

#36 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

OK, as much as I hate to admit defeat, I also need to know when to cut my losses (and I have spent countless hours troubleshooting this).  So I will contact DirecTV on Monday when I'm eligible for my free upgrade (hey I pay for PP, might as well take advantage).

I will follow the advice and upgrade a regular receiver to Genie and move the DVR elsewhere if my monthly price will stay the same.  Thanks for the tip (now I can put all the kids' programs on their own device too).

In the mean time to get your internet and Whole home working do as Ice suggested and remove the BBCCK and reboot all your units.

I didn't think this would be possible?  Without the BBCCK, the receivers don't see each other (even after restoring network defaults and rebooting ALL receivers).

Edited by BMWBig6, 06 September 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Ben

#37 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,396 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Without the BBCCK, all DVRs should now have a 169.254.x.x address unless you have static addresses assigned.

Once you get a working CCK installed, reboot everything and they should get the IP scheme of your router -- either the 10.x.x.x or the good old 192.168.x.x

And sometimes it takes 20 minutes or so for WH to settle in and show up on everybody.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#38 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Without the BBCCK, all DVRs should now have a 169.254.x.x address unless you have static addresses assigned.

Once you get a working CCK installed, reboot everything and they should get the IP scheme of your router -- either the 10.x.x.x or the good old 192.168.x.x

And sometimes it takes 20 minutes or so for WH to settle in and show up on everybody.

The waiting of 20 minutes should only be when using the private IP addresses. With the CCK, Whole Home should start working almost instantaneously.

- Merg

#39 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

OK, as much as I hate to admit defeat, I also need to know when to cut my losses (and I have spent countless hours troubleshooting this).  So I will contact DirecTV on Monday when I'm eligible for my free upgrade (hey I pay for PP, might as well take advantage).

I will follow the advice and upgrade a regular receiver to Genie and move the DVR elsewhere if my monthly price will stay the same.  Thanks for the tip (now I can put all the kids' programs on their own device too).

I didn't think this would be possible?  Without the BBCCK, the receivers don't see each other (even after restoring network defaults and rebooting ALL receivers).

If you disconnect the CCK and then perform a Network Settings Reset on each of your receivers, they should all obtain private IP addresses. After about 20 minutes they should all see each other. You just won't have access to VOD or Internet apps or access via the iPad app.

- Merg

#40 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Good news: No, it's not fixed but DirecTV is coming to upgrade my standard HD receivers to a Genie and Genie Mini.  They are also bringing the new wireless CCK, so that should hopefullly fix the internet issues.  I just don't know if I will miss the speed of Cat6 ethernet.  Should I just keep the older wired BB CCK if the technician can get it online?  Or is the newer wireless CCK better?

Ben

spam firewall