Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV HR24 lost network connection after new router

Best Answer BMWBig6 , 14 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

DirecTV's new equipment fixed the problem.  Yesterday they successfully installed a Genie and Genie Mini yesterday, replacing my 2 H24 HD receivers and relocating 2 HR24 DVRs.  They removed the old BB CCK, and replaced it with a new Broadband "Connected Home Adapter" that looks like this:

DIRECTV_DCA2SR0_01_deca2_ethernet_to_coa

When everything was booted up, they were immediately assigned IP addresses by the router's DHCP server.  They connected to the internet within seconds, and Whole Home as well as internet services like OnDemand, etc. work great!

Thanks everyone for your help in troubleshooting this issue.  I never learned why it happened in the first place, but the new DECA II adapter did the trick!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

Good news: No, it's not fixed but DirecTV is coming to upgrade my standard HD receivers to a Genie and Genie Mini. They are also bringing the new wireless CCK, so that should hopefullly fix the internet issues. I just don't know if I will miss the speed of Cat6 ethernet. Should I just keep the older wired BB CCK if the technician can get it online? Or is the newer wireless CCK better?

If the Genie will be located where there is an Ethernet connection, you can just plug the Ethernet cable into the Genie and forgo the CCK.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,199 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

There's no diff. in speed that'd be noticeable at all. What you do get with wireless is a steadier connection. 

After the install, come back and we can walk you through setting up wired via the Genie, but let the installer do the CCK thing, not wireless.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#43 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

If the Genie will be located where there is an Ethernet connection, you can just plug the Ethernet cable into the Genie and forgo the CCK.

- Merg

But then won't I lose communication with the other receivers in the house (and Whole Home) if I just connect the Genie receiver directly to the ethernet (that's what happened when I directly connected by HR24 and bypassed the CCK)?  Or does the new Genie Receiver have some kind of built-in CCK to talk with the other boxes?

I forgot to mention, I also added the GenieGO (formerly Nomad?) to my order.  Not sure if this complicates things further.

Edited by BMWBig6, 10 September 2013 - 07:32 AM.

Ben

DirecTV HR44-700 (Genie), C41-500 (Genie Mini), HR24-200, HR24-100, Genie Go (Nomad)

#44 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

You're on to it! The HR24 does bad things when you try to use it as a bridge. The Genies, though, both DECA and bridge just fine.

GenieGo is a separate matter, and maybe to start, you leave it out of the mix until everything is up and running. (Start up will take longer than routine running, as Guides need to get downloaded, etc.)

#45 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

But then won't I lose communication with the other receivers in the house (and Whole Home) if I just connect the Genie receiver directly to the ethernet (that's what happened when I directly connected by HR24 and bypassed the CCK)? Or does the new Genie Receiver have some kind of built-in CCK to talk with the other boxes?

I forgot to mention, I also added the GenieGO (formerly Nomad?) to my order. Not sure if this complicates things further.

You're on to it! The HR24 does bad things when you try to use it as a bridge. The Genies, though, both DECA and bridge just fine.

GenieGo is a separate matter, and maybe to start, you leave it out of the mix until everything is up and running. (Start up will take longer than routine running, as Guides need to get downloaded, etc.)

Bingo!

- Merg

#46 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

OK, I didn't realize the Genie does DECA internally.  Why did DirecTV add the wireless CCK to my order if this is the case?  (Maybe they just don't know I have an ethernet connection where I plan to install the Genie and added it just in case?)

Ben

DirecTV HR44-700 (Genie), C41-500 (Genie Mini), HR24-200, HR24-100, Genie Go (Nomad)

#47 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

The HR44 has a wireless CCK built into it, while the HR34 can only act as a wired CCK. Since the CSR does not know what you'll get, they'll include the CCK in the order. If it is not needed, it is not installed, although most installers will install it still.

- Merg

#48 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:06 AM   Best Answer

DirecTV's new equipment fixed the problem.  Yesterday they successfully installed a Genie and Genie Mini yesterday, replacing my 2 H24 HD receivers and relocating 2 HR24 DVRs.  They removed the old BB CCK, and replaced it with a new Broadband "Connected Home Adapter" that looks like this:

DIRECTV_DCA2SR0_01_deca2_ethernet_to_coa

When everything was booted up, they were immediately assigned IP addresses by the router's DHCP server.  They connected to the internet within seconds, and Whole Home as well as internet services like OnDemand, etc. work great!

Thanks everyone for your help in troubleshooting this issue.  I never learned why it happened in the first place, but the new DECA II adapter did the trick!

Ben

#49 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

Looks like the old BB DECA was defective.

Your "new" DECA II for all intent functions identically to your old one, but this is only true if the old one wasn't defective.

A.K.A VOS

#50 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,484 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

I helped 3 different friends / family get Genies this summer. . . each one was charged $19 for a CCK (I knew one already had one because I installed it) and on all 3 the installer hooked up the 44 with wireless.

It was explained that they charged for the CCK (even though the Genie was free) because a 34 doesn't have wireless.  That didn't hold because the 34 could be the bridge, but might not be convenient to router.

Installer said they had to use wireless with 44s.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#51 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Wow, not only bad -or merely ignorant- installers, dishonest, too.

#52 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,684 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Installer said they had to use wireless with 44s.

According to DirecTV "policies" that is true.  however I tried to install DECA BB most of the time.  I get pay more and the customers gets a better connection.  is a win-win for both

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...