Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL Center Ice and GenieGO to be Fixed?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Recorded the first 30 minutes of the Leafs/Canadiens game. 

Transcoded fine.

Transferred to my iPad and I was able to watch it w/o any problems.

Looks like it is fixed!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Recorded the first 30 minutes of the Leafs/Canadiens game. 

Transcoded fine.

Transferred to my iPad and I was able to watch it w/o any problems.

Looks like it is fixed!

Well, maybe fixed-ish?  I tested it by recording the Avs v. Ducks game last night.  It streamed and transcoded just fine, for the first 30 minutes.  It says in the description that it is a 3 hour recording, but there's only the first 30 minutes on my iphone.  I'll have to check the original recording when I get home to see if there's something wrong there, but so far it looks like we've both confirmed that NHLCI will work with the GenieGo for the first 30 minutes.  Alone, that's pretty useless.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#43 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

I also recorded the same game. But when I got up this AM, the Genie hadn't prepared it yet. So unable to transfer today. It should be ready when I get home.

It did take me three times clicking on download to iPad before I was able to transfer the Buffalo/Detroit to my iPad. That game was on NBCSN. Corncerns still exists for me.

#44 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Not looking good. The Ducks/Avs game I recorded last night on ALT HD channel 681, is going through it's fourth transcoding.

I am trying another game tonight (manual set up for 2.5 hours on a CI channel), but have no hope at this point.

At this point, I'm glad I cancelled CI before the start of the season.

#45 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Same here. I recorded the Bruins V. Lightning game and I only got 45 minutes on my iPad.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#46 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Well, it's back to its old behavior from last season. I watched it get to 3 minutes left, then 2, then 1, then "less than 1," then back to 2, then "waiting to prepare." I'll have to email them again, but I don't have much hope in the matter.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#47 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

I've tried games from CI (manual 2.5 hours, 3.0 hours and even 6 hours (I forgot)), games from an opened RSN for 2.5 and 3 hours and got the same results as you. Transcoding right up to the end, then starts over.  But games from my RSN and NBCSN worked great (at both 2.5 and 3 hours).

I did check my GenieGo to see how much space I have left -- it shows almost 8 GB, so that shouldn't be a reason.

Edited by trh, 06 October 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Well, I heard back from the same person I talked to before at the office of the president, and she wants me to do a "SENDREPORT" when I get home today.  It is a good sign that the engineering department is actually looking into it this time, unlike last year where they just told us to pretend that NHLCI was PPV.  That coupled with the fact that the first two nights of the season, games were partially transcoding (even if the GenieGo thought they were fully transcoded) means to me that we might get this problem resolved soon.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#49 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Of course, it all doesn't matter when you come home to find the recording of your game was "canceled" with no reason. Good to know the Genie is just as unreliable as the HR20.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#50 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Well, I've gotten a couple of phone messages from Laila at the president's office, and they appear to be working on it.  They have asked me for some particulars (were the recordings manual or autorecord, etc...)  At least they aren't just telling me it can't be done, too bad.  Maybe there will be some progress soon.  I will post if there is.  In the meantime, it has gotten back to last season's functionality.  In other words, rather than transcoding 30 minutes of the 3 hour recording, it won't transcode any anymore.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#51 OFFLINE   medziatkowicz31

medziatkowicz31

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL won't allow that. Did MLB allow this during the season or was it included in the mlb package? For as much as you pay for the sports packages they should include the mobile versions as well.

Edited by medziatkowicz31, 15 October 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

Well, I've gotten a couple of phone messages from Laila at the president's office, and they appear to be working on it.  They have asked me for some particulars (were the recordings manual or autorecord, etc...)  At least they aren't just telling me it can't be done, too bad.  Maybe there will be some progress soon.  I will post if there is.  In the meantime, it has gotten back to last season's functionality.  In other words, rather than transcoding 30 minutes of the 3 hour recording, it won't transcode any anymore.

I think it is getting worse. I recorded the afternoon game Saturday on NHLN (Canucks @ Penguins). Recorded fine and I can play it back.  But it won't transcode. Gets down to under 10 minutes and then starts the process over again. 

Last season the games on NBC, NHLN, NBCSN or my local RSN could be transcoded and transferred to a GenieGo device. 

So Islesfan, keep us advised.  But I'm pretty sure at this point even if they got this fixed, I won't subscribe to this season.

#53 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

I think it is getting worse. I recorded the afternoon game Saturday on NHLN (Canucks @ Penguins). Recorded fine and I can play it back. But it won't transcode. Gets down to under 10 minutes and then starts the process over again.

Last season the games on NBC, NHLN, NBCSN or my local RSN could be transcoded and transferred to a GenieGo device.

So Islesfan, keep us advised. But I'm pretty sure at this point even if they got this fixed, I won't subscribe to this season.

Still haven't heard back. It had looked hopeful, but not so much now. Still, they haven't said no yet, so I hold out some hope.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#54 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

It could be a coincidence, but I again set the Isles game from last night to transcode (like I've done with all the games this season) and woke up this morning to find it ready to download to my iPad.  I've got the whole game and I've been able to watch it (well half of it so far, but I'll finish it on the commute home later).  It recorded the TSN feed (ch 771 or 772, I don't know which one).  Perhaps its fixed?

I've also noticed that my Genie, since canceling the recording of the Isles v. Coyotes a couple of weeks ago, has taken to recording all feeds of the Islanders at once now.  I get home to find three or four recordings of the same game.  Ch 635, 771, 772, et al.  I'm not complaining, its actually kinda cool to have my pick of feed to watch, and with 5 tuners it never cancels anything else to record all that.  Oddly, however, the Genie Go only offers one of those recordings each time, and I don't know which one it is until after it is transcoded.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#55 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Not only is it not fixed, but the problem is spreading.  I recorded the Nets season opener on Thursday night, and it transcoded just fine, but when I watched it, I only had the first half.  This was on the NBA Network, which I never had problems with last year.  Has anyone seen this problem with NHL Network or NBC SPorts?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...