Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Superstations going away Sept19th- get grandfathered now

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

I just read the notice my retailer showed me. Also the othe site confirms this.
After Sept 19th you will no longer be able to sign up for the superstation package ala carte for $7 nor will you be able to buy them per channel for $2
If you have the channels by Sept 19th you will be auto grandfathered and you will still get them.
These are Newyork, Boston, Denver, LA
CW and Mynetwork independent stations with some sports
KTLA
WPIX
KWGN
WSBK
WWOR

Edited by scottchez, 05 September 2013 - 09:19 PM.

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

doh!

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#3 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

SUPERSTATIONS Congratulations! This address is eligible for all Superstations.

Superstations - $2.00 per month**

Station Affiliate DISH Network Channel Number

Superstation KTLA WB 918

Superstation KWGN WB 235

Superstation WPIX WB 916

Superstation WSBK UPN 236

Superstation WWOR UPN 8105

I think it's kinda funny that the channel numbers have been updated here but after 7 years they still list WB and UPN.

Edited by John79605, 06 September 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

KBCW ordered Dish to drop KTLA six years ago.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

Over the years I've had the Superstations on and off, sometimes just the two out of NY. At the moment I hadn't been subscribing but I just went online and ordered the two NY stations just to be grandfathered in. It'll be interesting to see how long they keep them for the people who are grandfathered, I'm assuming eventually they are going away completely.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

SUPERSTATIONS Congratulations! This address is eligible for all Superstations.

Superstations - $2.00 per month**

Station Affiliate DISH Network Channel Number

Superstation KTLA WB 918

Superstation KWGN WB 235

Superstation WPIX WB 916

Superstation WSBK UPN 236

Superstation WWOR UPN 8105

I think it's kinda funny that the channel numbers have been updated here but after 7 years they still list WB and UPN.

Been saying that for years now.  How they continue to miss that just baffles me.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#7 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

I wonder why DISH isn't publicizing this at all.

Me, I've had the Superstations since day 1, and they're the reason I have DISH rather than DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Good Point, Directv and Cable does not have the Superstations.

An other optin is just buy one or two supper stations at $2 each, you dont have to get all 5

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

There were reports of some survey that Dish did about the Superstations not long ago.  Supposedly only went out to those that subscribed to one or more of them.  I suspect they were trying to determine what the impact of dropping them would.  With this latest action I suppose the results were that not enough cared about them to make it profitable for Dish.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

If they are dropping them they must not be making any money at all or are wanting to use the bandwidth for something people want more or will make them more money. Otherwise why drop them?

And DIRECTV does have wgn in a regular package for most everyone.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,862 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

And DIRECTV does have wgn in a regular package for most everyone.

The superstation package Dish has are the full versions of those local channels complete with network programming. Despite them at one point using Superstation in their name, WGN America and WGN-TV Chicago, as well as TBS and WTBS Atlanta util 2007, haven't been simulcasts of eachother since the late 80s and are not part of the package.

In the late 80s with the influx of new independent stations across the country that carried syndicated programming that also aired on the superstations at the time (WPIX, WSBK, WOR-TV, WGN-TV, KWGN, KTLA and WTBS), new syndication exclusive rules went into effect for cable that allowed the local stations to blackout programming they had the rights to. WGN-TV, WTBS and the now WWOR-TV all launched alternate feeds with programming they had the national rights to. WGN-TV had the benefit of being owned by Tribune who at the time was also the syndicator of many of the shows they aired, while WTBS and TBS negotiated for national rights for most of their programming as outside of public affairs programming WTBS was always programmed with a national audience in mind, WWOR-TV and the national WOR feed on the other hand had a very different schedule since the station's ownership changed hands multiple times and nearly lost their license in the 80s so they had no real clout and mainly filled the schedule with programming that was no longer nationally syndicated. WGN's national feed initially carried The WB programming to give WB a national audience, while WOR, who eventually eliminated their national feed in the mid 90s, never carried the UPN's programming. Since the rules only applied to cable, satellite providers are allowed to keep the full versions of the other superstations. At the time C-Band was mainly a luxury for people who either wanted more channels than their 36+ channel cable system would give them, or was used as the primary television source for many rural areas that either lacked OTA reception or wasn't served by any local cable system. Dish, Primestar and USSB/DirecTV were several years away from launching and wouldn't provide LIL service for another decade because of other regulations. Dish picked up the Superstations, but for whatever reason DirecTV never carried them.

KTLA, WPIX, WSBK and KWGN vanished from national cable distribution outside of a few lingering regional cable systems that are now subject to blackout. For example until more local affiliates launched cable systems in the northeast continued to used WSBK and WPIX as their initial source of UPN and WB programming. Here in NEPA, Blue Ridge still has WPIX, however some syndicated shows are blacked out. There was some online post a few years ago on another site about WWOR's airing of The 700 Club being blacked out with the on screen message inserted by the cable company just citing "FCC regulations", of course everyone ran with it like it was some conspiracy, not realizing that the poster wasn't in the NYC DMA and it was just the syndex rules that forced the blackout, so he could have seen it on one of his in market stations.

Canada is another story where the CRTC regulates everything so the broadcast stations were licensed and not the cable versions. They still get WGN-TV Chicago and when TBS and WTBS split, Canada got Peachtree TV while TBS's original programming like Conan and their MLB coverage is split between Sportsnet, CTV, The Comedy Network and Much.

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yes but today almost all the programming on all the superstations is already available in every local via another local station especially The CW Stuff. Local news is the biggest gain which I doubt is much ratings pull out of market.

In its hey day they where big deals. Today not nearly as much.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Superstations on satellite could be blocked by a local affiliate's complaint. If a station has the exclusive local market rights to programming (either WB/UPN now CW or syndicated programming) they could ask DISH to block the out of market feed. Instead of blocking the individual shows (as required under the law) DISH kept it simple and blocked the full channel in markets where a local station had exercised their rights.

They certainly are not as valuable as they were before the network and most of the syndicated programming (including classic shows) found homes on local broadcasters and regular cable networks.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I just ordered the 7.00 superstation deal even though I do not watch many of those channels. But now I have them if the announcement is true.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 07 September 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:27 AM

There were reports of some survey that Dish did about the Superstations not long ago.  Supposedly only went out to those that subscribed to one or more of them.  I suspect they were trying to determine what the impact of dropping them would.  With this latest action I suppose the results were that not enough cared about them to make it profitable for Dish.

I've subscribed to the superstations via DISH for over 13 years now but didn't receive any survey.

#16 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Nobody's mentioned the background issue that must be the elephant in the room to Dish, The Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act is the law that gives Dish the right to carry the Superstations, as well as other distant signals and local-into-local IIFC. STELA expires at the end of 2014, and Congress started chewing on renewal legislation a few months ago. Last time, at the last minute, STELA was renewed like a library book, exactly as it had been, and the Superstation exemption survived because of inertia. There are a lot of reasons to think that won't happen this cycle.

(Quick aside: The supers were one big reason I chose Dish 12 years ago. They had all that live local sports. Now their SD format is below our new viewing standard, their baseball coverage has almost evaporated, and they rarely show anything that isn't available on my local TV. Such a shame.)

You know why Time Warner Cable held out against CBS for a month, only to roll over and give CBS almost everything it wanted? To raise national awareness about the retransmission consent system and how it works (arguably?) to the detriment of viewers. Rumblings on Capitol Hill are starting to build to fix retransmission consent, and STELA, a related bill that's furthest along, could soon see some big changes to become a larger bill. According to Multichannel News, the House Judiciary Subcommittee will hold a STELA hearing tomorrow (Tuesday), and the House Communications Subcommittee will hold a STELA hearing Wednesday. As the MCN article states, advisors from all sides of the issue are lining up to weigh in on what should be in the next STELA.

To sum it up, we don't know what's going to happen with STELA, but almost no one in the debate will care two cents about the Superstations. It would be a very nice surprise if they were still available in 2015.

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#17 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

The Superstations and distants were the main factor in our choosing Dish 14 years ago.  I still watch the Superstations (although as Mike points out, they are not what they used to be) plus the distants that I receive on AAD for local news and an occasional time shift of a program that I forgot to DVR.  If they disappear, staying with Dish would be highly unlikely for us absent some other factor that would make them unique.

#18 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

The Superstations and distants were the main factor in our choosing Dish 14 years ago. I still watch the Superstations (although as Mike points out, they are not what they used to be) plus the distants that I receive on AAD for local news and an occasional time shift of a program that I forgot to DVR. If they disappear, staying with Dish would be highly unlikely for us absent some other factor that would make them unique.

What are the other distant channels DISH offer besides the superstations ?

Edited by SeaBeagle, 09 September 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Distants from New York and San Francisco via All American Direct

#20 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

I've had Superstations from the beginning.  I still watch them regularly.  No one sent me the survey but at least I'm grandfathered in.

spam firewall