Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Superstations going away Sept19th- get grandfathered now

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

I would think the owner of any TV station would be glad to have anyone in the whole country view the station. Look at all the radio stations that we can listen to with any problem. Anywhere from California to New York and the whole world. TV should be the same way.

Comparing TV to Radio is apples to oranges. For one thing most of the content is either locally produced live or voice tracked and packaged in a way that's unique to each station. (i.e. shows like On Air with Ryan Seacrest contain the same segments, but they usually air in a custom order and the music that plays around them is different for each station)

When it comes to syndicated content like Rush, Imus, Hannity, etc the stations have to pay the syndicator extra for online rights, larger broadcasters like Clear Channel and Cumulus do afford it, but the smaller broadcasters usually black out the programming. Towards the end of his FM run, almost no one streamed Howard Stern online. Throw in sports, most of that gets blacked out too outside of the NHL and select NBA and NFL games.

Edited by KyL416, 12 September 2013 - 12:21 AM.

• tampa8 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Here's the latest on another STELA hearing, with the focus on retransmission consent reform, maybe.

http://www.broadcast..._Reg_Issues.php

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#43 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Lots of local news tonight on the Supers.  Colorado Floods and NJ boardwalk fire.   
Order while you can . . .

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#44 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

I canceled my Supers when I upgraded to the Hopper in a cost cutting move as my monthly fees increased dramatically.  They had become pretty irrelavent being SD only and the fact that DISH now carries our local CW in HD which is a close mirror of WPIX other than the NY local news which I rarely watched anyway.  Even so I do not understand why DISH would stop offfering them to new subs.  If they are letting others keep them they do not save TP space.

#45 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

Same thing here.  When I went HD there was only one or two shows on the Supers that I was interested in and I had other ways of getting them.  Now we have all the locals in HD (and those shows have since been cancelled) so it was a way to save a few dollars.  Now I'm looking at where I can save money again since my bill has crept up to $145 (2 Hoppers, 3 Joeys, AT250, HBO/Starz)

#46 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Lots of local news tonight on the Supers.  Colorado Floods and NJ boardwalk fire.   

I can't!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#47 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

If they are letting others keep them they do not save TP space.

That's not how it works. All but one or two are there for the locals anyway, just because they are in another package does not make them take up more space/bandwidth. That one or two are on both ARC's when they might not otherwise be, but we are talking SD, tiny bandwidth. This change has nothing to do with bandwidth space.

Edited by tampa8, 13 September 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

We also were watching last night on the Supers.

#49 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

As far bandwidth goes, I would think it would save space by moving them to Spotbeams only instead of on ConUS.  Not sure how much space it would save.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#50 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Not much. 5 channels of SD? DISH is not hurting for SD space. There are five NYC channels (other than WWOR) that are still ConUS. (I believe the rest of the locals on 110/119 are now all spotbeamed.)

Completely clearing a SD transponder so it can be used for HD would not be a bad thing.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#51 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm guessing 4 of those 5 are the ones that AAD is using?  Thus the need for them to be on ConUS?

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

AAD has their own feeds on 119 TP 15. The story goes they lease the entire transponder.

Somehow DISH has a few channels on that transponder now. :)
(Perhaps AAD now only leases part of the transponder?)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#53 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Last chance to even sign up for the super stations.

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#54 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

I have mine.

#55 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

SUPERSTATIONS Congratulations! This address is eligible for all Superstations.
Superstations - $2.00 per month**
Station Affiliate DISH Network Channel Number
Superstation KTLA WB 918
Superstation KWGN WB 235
Superstation WPIX WB 916
Superstation WSBK UPN 236
Superstation WWOR UPN 8105

I think it's kinda funny that the channel numbers have been updated here but after 7 years they still list WB and UPN.

On my receiver the numbers are like this.

KTLA 233
WPIX 234
KWGN 235
WSBK 236
WWOR 238

#56 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

Is it me, or is the PQ of the superstations pretty lousy? I checked them out at a local Blockbuster where they had a monitor wired to Dish programming. In comparison to almost every other channel, the picture on the supers was bloody awful, fuzzy, smeary. I mean, change the prescription on the glasses bad.

And really, will Dish continue to indefinitely carry them at all, given that no new subs are allowed?

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

And really, will Dish continue to indefinitely carry them at all, given that no new subs are allowed?

Indefinite is not infinite. They will go away eventually. I suppose DISH could have just dropped them cold but they seem to be easing them out the door.

#58 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Is it me, or is the PQ of the superstations pretty lousy?

Years ago, I used to watch WNGS (Buffalo NY) through a FTA dish. All the FTA enthusiasts agreed that WNGS's transponder was horribly overloaded, carrying about 14 channels in a space designed for 10 or less, roughly speaking. WNGS used to show a few Yankees games using WWOR's feed, with the WNGS logo sitting next to the My9 logo.

Once during a game, I switched between inputs on my TV. The allegedly overcompressed, second-hand feed from WNGS was noticeably more colorful and crisp than what Dish served me directly from WWOR.

Having said all that, after I resubscribed to the Supers a few weeks ago, I braced myself for some serious ugly, but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Still, when Dish delivers them, they'll always be in SD, and the PQ is never going to win awards. I think we're fortunate to have them at all.

EDIT PS: As predicted, the Superstations are no longer on Dish's a la carte programming tab.

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#59 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

All the superstations on my receiver look fine on my DISH Hopper and my HDTV.

#60 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

I still see the superstations being offered on DISH's web page. UPDATE: I originally sent the a above reply on Earrrrrrrlyon the morning of September 19th. Today I do not see any Superstation offerings. So the story is definatly true.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 20 September 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...