Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Superstations going away Sept19th- get grandfathered now

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

I still see the superstations being offered on DISH's web page. UPDATE: I originally sent the a above reply on Earrrrrrrlyon the morning of September 19th. Today I do not see any Superstation offerings. So the story is definatly true.

I thought we had until September 19th to add them.  I didn't get KWGN from Denver added in time and yesterday on the 19th they wouldn't let me have it...I was not happy after being a longtime customer and knowing the 19th was the deadline.  One CSR online gave me $5 credit for 6 months and another gave three months of premium channels free...all nice I guess but seems ridiculous they couldn't give me KWGN when it is not like Dish doesn't have it available...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

I would not have purchased them if there was no plan to not after the channels. But I would would not be happy if I wanted them and could not get the channels. We ever decide we do not want these channels and take them off out subscriptions then decide to get them back if we will be able to get them.

#63 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

At CEDIA Expo, I asked a Dish PR guy why Dish had stopped selling the Superstations. He went off to a lengthy discussion with Dish executives out of earshot, then returned and said it was because Dish was legally obliged not to offer them any longer, but they're still grandfathered.

Of course, that didn't make a lot of sense; the law didn't change between Sept. 1 and today. I figure that either he misheard a description of the STELA renewal process (where I would expect that Dish will eventually lose the Superstation exemption) or that the exec he talked to didn't have a firm handle on it himself. Somebody at Dish knows the real reason, but I haven't found him or her yet. :)

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

Perhaps contractually obligated but I agree that the law has not changed (yet) to prevent carriage of superstations.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#65 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

I wish that whole thing about not being to sell out of market stations to customers should disappear. What is he harm of letting customers look at stations that are not in there home location. Like if someone moves from their hometown and would like to keep up with the news from that location that person should be allowed to do that. I know that DISH would love to be able to do that.

#66 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

Big harm. They depend on viewers watching their News programs, it's where their revenue comes from
and how much they can charge advertisers. The LA local isn't gaining anything in local advertising revenue by someone
in Pittsburgh watching.But Pittsburgh loses big time in losing viewers not watching local ads. 
It's why OTA is free. I don't begrudge them that. The problem is two things. 
First, the locals should not be charging to be carried precisley because they are protected. 
Second, there is no reason there can't be an AAD type of set-up where you pay to watch out of market locals, 
with that money at least partly going to the local losing the ad revenue.

Edited by tampa8, 28 September 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#67 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

And there is a big problem the other way too.

Citizens in a DMA that is based from a city not in their state are essentially disenfranchised from their state governance if the media in their DMA chooses not to cover items relating to their state's administration.

Seems like this difficulty might be a bit more important than somebody going to the 'wrong' city to purchase a sofa . . . 

I'd like to see every accommodation made to provide all citizens of a given state access to the TV stations based in whatever DMA their state capitol happens to be located in.

#68 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

It's why OTA is free.

OTA is free because the station license requires OTA to be free (one feed per channel must be free). Stations would certainly charge for reception if it were legal, easy and people would actually pay. There are some stations that people simply would not pay for ... so free is the only option. Charging through a retransmitter such as a cable or satellite carrier is legal and easy. If the cable or satellite carrier refuses to pay they can't retransmit the signal. But charging for direct OTA reception is difficult. While equipment exists that can scramble and access control OTA viewing, there has not been a successful implementation.

(Theoretically a station could transmit a SD infomercial feed OTA and charge for their HD network feed on a scrambled subchannel. But the market has yet to support such a scheme.)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#69 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I thought we had until September 19th to add them.  I didn't get KWGN from Denver added in time and yesterday on the 19th they wouldn't let me have it...I was not happy after being a longtime customer and knowing the 19th was the deadline.  One CSR online gave me $5 credit for 6 months and another gave three months of premium channels free...all nice I guess but seems ridiculous they couldn't give me KWGN when it is not like Dish doesn't have it available...

I still would like to get Superstations.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#70 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

OTA is free because the station license requires OTA to be free (one feed per channel must be free).

I guess he should have said: "It's how OTA is free" instead of "why" ;)

ie: whatever the license says, it's also expected to be a viable business for someone.

#71 OFFLINE   sharonmu

sharonmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

You all are so lucky to have found out about superstations being gone forever. I removed mine due to wanting to add HBO & Cinemax to save money. Then i was going to add them back and was told dish would have them forever and that i could add them back. I keep wwor because i have no my tv network in my area. We'll on the 20th of september i was on dish to add them they we're gone and googled and found your all's website. I wish i had known about your website. I think its awesome you all posted this. But i think its unfair for people that didn't get the option to add them back or receive a email or anything saying once in a lifetime to add them back. I hope you don't take offense to anything i said. Please just email me if they ever do add them back. Its one of the main reasons i switched from directv to dish. ANd the thing is i had cw from washington & the west coast. But loved KTLA & WPIX more. I am getting all american direct which since i have a hopper i have to pay to have them add the extra lnb 119. Which is stupid. And they won't let me out of my contract even though i asked if they carried the superstations. Its not fair  Sharon :bang

#72 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

This forum is good for news. I did not know a out the superstation thing until I read that here. I would have never knew this. Because I found out I added all the superstations the same night that I read this here.

Not much on these channels that I am interested in looking at. But some day there might be.

#73 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

I was grandfather until the stupid representative at dish disconnected my entire service instead of cancelling my appoint. They told me they are going to try get it added back and they need to get authorization from the promotion management team to fix the issue. If they dont fix my superstation and get it re-grandfather, I am leaving dish after 15 years of being a loyal customer and subbing to premium package and going to time warner cable : ). They screw me over like this!!!!

Edited by comizzou573, 02 October 2013 - 11:52 PM.

• sharonmu likes this

#74 OFFLINE   sharonmu

sharonmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

This is horrible. And you had them and they removed them in error. We'll if they don't add them back. that's not right. I even spoke to a supervisor. A very hateful lady. Saying i just wanted them back She said dish can change programming without being told (there customers). Because they only told dish retailers that you had until the 19th to get them. And i removed all of mine except my 9 wwor. Because to save money. And they won't add KTLA or WPIX back. Even though i told them i think they should've posted this or emailed there customers. Please let me know if you get them back.

Edited by sharonmu, 03 October 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#75 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

Call this lady and let them know what happen [redacted]@dish.com or 720-[redacted] She is trying to help me resolve my situation. I am not sure if they are lying to me and if they are I will be leaving dish for time warner cable. She was like the 40th person I spoke today, been on the phone since they made a mistake from 12pm to 730pm. Trying to get connected to someone nice, dish doesnt obviously care about its customers. It sickens me when dish advertise before being getting connected to a representative that they have world class customer service and that directv vs dish commerical...when they do not even listen to their loyal customers.

This is horrible. And you had them and they removed them in error. We'll if they don't add them back. that's not right. I even spoke to a supervisor. A very hateful lady. Saying i just wanted them back She said dish can change programming without being told (there customers). Because they only told dish retailers that you had until the 19th to get them. And i removed all of mine except my 9 wwor. Because to save money. And they won't add KTLA or WPIX back. Even though i told them i think they should've posted this or emailed there customers. Please let me know if you get them back.

[Note: Personal contact information redacted.]

Edited by James Long, 03 October 2013 - 01:02 AM.

• sharonmu likes this

#76 OFFLINE   sharonmu

sharonmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

Thanks so much for trying to help me i emailed her and will try and call her tommorrow. I really love dish network. But superstations is something that sets them away from different companies. I hope you can get yours back. And me too.

• comizzou573 likes this

#77 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

I agree. I also did the same thing. I had only two of them to start with, but after learning about this and some content I had forgot about I add the entire back of them since I wouldn't get another chance too.

This forum is good for news. I did not know a out the superstation thing until I read that here. I would have never knew this. Because I found out I added all the superstations the same night that I read this here.

Not much on these channels that I am interested in looking at. But some day there might be.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#78 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Situation resolved for me and finally got my stations back on, didnt even know my pbs national was gone to, and they added it back.

Edited by comizzou573, 03 October 2013 - 11:15 AM.

• sharonmu likes this

#79 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Its one of the main reasons i switched from directv to dish. ANd the thing is i had cw from washington & the west coast. But loved KTLA & WPIX more. I am getting all american direct which since i have a hopper i have to pay to have them add the extra lnb 119. Which is stupid. And they won't let me out of my contract even though i asked if they carried the superstations. Its not fair  Sharon :bang

The main reason you switched, loved KTLA etc.. but you dropped them? That's exactly why DISH no longer offers superstations. Even a subscriber who switched to DISH for superstations didn't subscribe to them. Also the contract does clearly state all programming is subject to change. (As it does for virtually all carriers)

Also had you installed the 119 LNB at the time of getting the Hopper it very likely would have been included. In addition if you had the insurance plan you may have had it installed for less, then eventually drop the insurance plan, I know not everyone knows that. Dish can't possibly come out for free every time a customer wants a different satellite configuration. And beyond that, you are actually subscribing to a different company with AAD, so DISH makes no more if you do or do not subscribe to those distants. (They charge satellite space to AAD) so it's even less likely they will come out for free. Contrast that to wanting the 118 satellite for those channels from DISH and they often will work on the cost with you.

I do hope at some point you can get them.

Edited by tampa8, 03 October 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#80 OFFLINE   sharonmu

sharonmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Situation resolved for me and finally got my stations back on, didnt even know my pbs national was gone to, and they added it back.

Your so lucky I tried to call the lady you told plus email her she won't return my calls. Yours so lucky. Maybe someday they'll add them back. Sharon

Protected By... spam firewall...And...