Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Superstations going away Sept19th- get grandfathered now

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

We'll i just talked with AAD(all american direct) they tried to get the superstations package and dish wants too much money for them. Also they told me which doesn't make any since that Dish the reason they removed them( not selling anymore) was because all the channels wanted too much money to continue selling them. Which makes no sense cause they still have them. And also get this one i was wrong i didn't remove them i called in to remove WSBK and they removed them all except WWOR. i can't get them back either. I did find a great site for those of you that are like me and can't get all of your locals due to being to far away. Which doesn't help me they won't sell any market unless your payment verifys your zip code or you ip address is right. But at least die hard fans of all locals or being able to get METV & ANTENNA TV. maybe this will help those
https://www.aereo.com/

That company Aereo keeps emailing to start an account. So twice I attempted that. Because Aereo does not like me credit cards billing address I can not sign up.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,181 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

We'll i just talked with AAD(all american direct) they tried to get the superstations package and dish wants too much money for them. Also they told me which doesn't make any since that Dish the reason they removed them( not selling anymore) was because all the channels wanted too much money to continue selling them. Which makes no sense cause they still have them. And also get this one i was wrong i didn't remove them i called in to remove WSBK and they removed them all except WWOR. i can't get them back either. I did find a great site for those of you that are like me and can't get all of your locals due to being to far away. Which doesn't help me they won't sell any market unless your payment verifys your zip code or you ip address is right. But at least die hard fans of all locals or being able to get METV & ANTENNA TV. maybe this will help those
https://www.aereo.com/

DISH does not pay superstations for their signals. They are carried under a statutory license arrangement where DISH pays into a fund and copyright holders (stations and programming) make claims against the fund for payment. The channels CANNOT demand more money for carriage from DISH as they are not paid as a channel by DISH!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#128 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,931 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

But James - can't they ask for compensation as their "Local" channel ?

I'll admit - the "Superstations" are in a sort of legal black hole.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#129 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,181 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

But James - can't they ask for compensation as their "Local" channel ?

I believe that is the goal for the suits against Aereo ... but the question I was answering was superstation specific.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#130 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

(Putting on hip waders)

It was my understanding that the Superstation payments went to a pool to pay the content providers (syndicators et al), not the broadcasters. Remember that the law was established waaay back when nobody paid significant retransmission money to local stations.

I think scooter was saying that when it's time to negotiate WSBK's Boston LIL retransmission consent payment, the station could tie in a request to get paid for all those Supers subs.

Aereo's major drawback is that even if you've got a credit card with a local address, you still can't watch it unless your IP is in the local market. This means that normal, legitimate Aereo subs can't watch TV from an out-of-town hotel room. If you really want to read more about it, you can read my Aereo experience here: http://www.ftablog.c...sit-with-aereo/ In sum, it's not a good Superstation alternative.

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#131 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,181 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

I think scooter was saying that when it's time to negotiate WSBK's Boston LIL retransmission consent payment, the station could tie in a request to get paid for all those Supers subs.

A station may ask for anything ... whether they get it or not is another issue.
Legally DISH does not have to ask WSBK or any other superstation's permission to be retransmitted as a superstation and you are correct about the pool payments for the statutory license. The only way the station could get paid would be if they had a claim against the statutory license fund.

Refusing to allow their station to be carried in their own local market is where the station has leverage. Would WSBK refuse to be aired to Boston subscribers without compensation for national Superstation subscribers? That could end up with WSBK aired to everyone except the Boston market.

Aereo's major drawback is that even if you've got a credit card with a local address, you still can't watch it unless your IP is in the local market. This means that normal, legitimate Aereo subs can't watch TV from an out-of-town hotel room. If you really want to read more about it, you can read my Aereo experience here: http://www.ftablog.c...sit-with-aereo/ In sum, it's not a good Superstation alternative.

I don't know why Aereo is so focused on in market delivery ... they seem to say that the law does not apply to them in market. But there is a law that would apply to them out of market?

If I set up my Sling equipment and connected it to an OTA tuner there would be no geographic limitation for where I could receive the signal ... and it would be legal under the personal use exemptions to copyright law (my encoder in my home encoding content I receive there ... not a company doing the receiving on my behalf).

(Some day I should try to poke a hole in the firewall and connect to my HD Homerun from outside.)

#132 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

(Putting on hip waders)

It was my understanding that the Superstation payments went to a pool to pay the content providers (syndicators et al), not the broadcasters. Remember that the law was established waaay back when nobody paid significant retransmission money to local stations.

Aereo's major drawback is that even if you've got a credit card with a local address, you still can't watch it unless your IP is in the local market. This means that normal, legitimate Aereo subs can't watch TV from an out-of-town hotel room. If you really want to read more about it, you can read my Aereo experience here: http://www.ftablog.c...sit-with-aereo/ In sum, it's not a good Superstation alternative.

Aereo to me does not want to survive with all these ideas of the IP address and credit card address. I do not think I would even care if the company closes. It would be their own fault.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 02 November 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#133 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Aereo to me dies not want to survive with all these ideas of the IP address and credit card address. I do not think I would even care if the company closes. It would be their own fault.

If they don't like your billing address ten it's not in the area that you are trying to subscribe service for and therefore your likely trying to grab service for an area you are not in which would be illegal. Is your billing address in the same zip code as your living address? Are they the same address or different addresses?

#134 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,181 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

If they don't like your billing address ten it's not in the area that you are trying to subscribe service for and therefore your likely trying to grab service for an area you are not in which would be illegal.

Aereo seems to be making up their own laws ... if their theory is separate antennas, tuners and DVRs working independently of each other is not rebroadcast as defined by law what law is preventing Aereo from transmitting the signal anywhere? It seems funny that they are apparently strictly following laws that apply to cable and satellite while claiming that similar laws that apply to cable and satellite do not apply.

#135 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

Good point. But... Reminds me of the question of sling... One small cavet there IMHO that is why they are sticking to this policy. Even if you have and use sling, you have to have a TV location in the proper DMA and collect it from a source in that DMA, so it could be that they are making sure you have a location in the proper DMA that should be able to get that source in the first place without their service, before letting lose.

That actually makes some sense to me. Of course sling you don't have to prove anything because its fully controlled and maintained by the customer, but as a business, they probably want to Verify that they customers are not circumventing DMA rules. They believe they are not doing so with their tech because there tech is simply moving where the DVR and antenna are located in the dma, and they are not changing how it's used in someone's home in that DMA. Not checking people locations would be changing that though.

I actually like that argument and is part of the reason I have always felt that it should be illegal for any over the air channel to ask for money from cable and sat companies for retrans deals as long as everything is done within the rules of what can be broadcast where inside each DMA.

#136 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,181 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

I can't follow that logic. It is like saying that it is OK for them to help steal from the Walmart in your home town but they won't help you steal from the Walmart out of state. Aereo will, for a fee, help customers take the signals of OTA stations without compensating the local stations for rebroadcast. Cable and satellite companies could make the same argument that they are only delivering the channels to people who are entitled to receive them OTA. Only the technology differs.

But I digress ... there are other threads for Aereo.

#137 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

I can't follow that logic. It is like saying that it is OK for them to help steal from the Walmart in your home town but they won't help you steal from the Walmart out of state. Aereo will, for a fee, help customers take the signals of OTA stations without compensating the local stations for rebroadcast. Cable and satellite companies could make the same argument that they are only delivering the channels to people who are entitled to receive them OTA. Only the technology differs.

But I digress ... there are other threads for Aereo.

How do I get Aereo to do that for me?

#138 OFFLINE   sharonmu

sharonmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Is there a topic yet about All American Direct  closing operations on February 25th 2014. Please let me know. What else is dish going to take away from us. And i'm paid up til April Is this enough of a reason to cancel dish.

#139 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Dish has nothing to do with AAD, except for leasing the transponder space on the satellite to them.

Dish is not taking away your Distant Networks AAD is going out of business.

Some may argue that Dish should have sold the transponder space to them at a lower price, but...

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#140 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Icon

• Registered
  • 556 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

I'm a bit late in adding my comments, but like others, one of the main reasons I picked up Dish back in 1999 was because they carried the supers. Infact, I started watching KTLA's news on a feed on my big dish back in 1985. Then in 1986, the supers were added. I had them for years with my big dish. We even got KTVR Denver and another out of Ft Worth Texas for a time.  Later that station went to a network. So I have watched them since the beginning. As mentioned earlier, the Roku carries a lot of news from many TV stations, but not KTLA as yet. KTTV 11 LA is now available on the Roku and many TV stations do have their live news and news on demand,. For those news hounds out there, like me, adding the Roku has bdeen great. Look up Nowhere TV for more additional TV stations. I hope Dish keeps the Supers. I have never dropped them and I never will.

#141 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Lucky you!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#142 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Icon

• Registered
  • 556 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

If a person has wifi in their house a Roku LT is only $50 online and it is an amazing little box. I have added over 300 free channels. It is a nice addition to Dish,. I don't see it replacing Dish as the Roku has different stuff on it just like my big dish has. But it is a nice add-on. Dish also has services on the Roku, international services like Dish World. But I hope the Supers stay around for a long time.

Patrick

#143 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'm a bit late in adding my comments, but like others, one of the main reasons I picked up Dish back in 1999 was because they carried the supers. Infact, I started watching KTLA's news on a feed on my big dish back in 1985. Then in 1986, the supers were added. I had them for years with my big dish. We even got KTVR Denver and another out of Ft Worth Texas for a time. Later that station went to a network. So I have watched them since the beginning. As mentioned earlier, the Roku carries a lot of news from many TV stations, but not KTLA as yet. KTTV 11 LA is now available on the Roku and many TV stations do have their live news and news on demand,. For those news hounds out there, like me, adding the Roku has bdeen great. Look up Nowhere TV for more additional TV stations. I hope Dish keeps the Supers. I have never dropped them and I never will.

Dish cancelled the superstations so there is no reason to hope DISH keeps them.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#144 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,181 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Superstations are grandfathered ... if you have them, you can keep them (for now). For those who get some benefit from the channels they can hope that they will not go away,

#145 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

I still can not figure out why can not peeps look at any given out of market TV stations.

Look at radio. One can listen to any radio station in the country that uses the internet.

Why should TV be different?

#146 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

I still can not figure out why can not peeps look at any given out of market TV stations.

Look at radio. One can listen to any radio station in the country that uses the internet.

Why should TV be different?

On radio most of the content originates locally, even syndicated shows like Seacrest, Elvis Duran and others have different playlists for each station. There's also a lot of content that can't be streamed. When Howard Stern was on FM they weren't allowed to stream him, a lot of sports play by play cannot be streamed, there's a syndicated Sinatra show that can't be streamed because of the royalties the Sinatra family charges for his music, and it costs an arm and a leg if a station wants the streaming rights to talk shows like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck so only the stations owned by a conglomerate like Clear Channel, Townsquare and CBS stream them while the smaller broadcasters black them out.

On TV, outside of the news and the occasional public affairs programming, everything is either from the network or syndicated and given to local stations exclusively for their market, the only thing "local" is designated local ad breaks. The big money comes from major events that are guaranteed to get high ratings like the Super Bowl, awards shows, finales of shows like Big Brother, Survivor and Idol, the NBA Finals, etc. What local advertiser is going to pay millions for a 30 second ad spot during the Super Bowl if there's no longer a guarantee that everyone in the local area will be watching it on that station?

Edited by KyL416, 23 April 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#147 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Icon

• Registered
  • 556 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:55 AM

More and more "local" TV stations are streaming their news and Roku has quite a few. But that is where it ends. It is only their local news, weather, sports.

#148 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

On radio most of the content originates locally, even syndicated shows like Seacrest, Elvis Duran and others have different playlists for each station. There's also a lot of content that can't be streamed. When Howard Stern was on FM they weren't allowed to stream him, a lot of sports play by play cannot be streamed, there's a syndicated Sinatra show that can't be streamed because of the royalties the Sinatra family charges for his music, and it costs an arm and a leg if a station wants the streaming rights to talk shows like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck so only the stations owned by a conglomerate like Clear Channel, Townsquare and CBS stream them while the smaller broadcasters black them out.

On TV, outside of the news and the occasional public affairs programming, everything is either from the network or syndicated and given to local stations exclusively for their market, the only thing "local" is designated local ad breaks. The big money comes from major events that are guaranteed to get high ratings like the Super Bowl, awards shows, finales of shows like Big Brother, Survivor and Idol, the NBA Finals, etc. What local advertiser is going to pay millions for a 30 second ad spot during the Super Bowl if there's no longer a guarantee that everyone in the local area will be watching it on that station?

I hear shows like Rush Limburger and Sean Hennity on streamed radio stations.

#149 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Did you miss this part of the post:

it costs an arm and a leg if a station wants the streaming rights to talk shows like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck so only the stations owned by a conglomerate like Clear Channel, Townsquare and CBS stream them while the smaller broadcasters black them out.

Edited by KyL416, 24 April 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#150 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

I'm so sorry!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...