Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Scam Alert: Senior's $3,000 in 'Food Savings Certificates'

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,910 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Just got this call. Sounded very real. But bells went off in my head.

After I hung up, I Googled and found  . . . .

BBB Alert: Possible New Twist On Medical Alert Scam

Roanoke, VA (August 23, 2013) A series of calls that mirror a previous scam may be attempting to lure seniors into giving away personal information.

The BBB first reported on a Medical Alert phishing scam in May of 2013. In the scam, seniors received robo-calls from scammers posing as representatives of a medical alert monitoring company. They were informed a medical alert system had been purchased for them by an unknown party, and requested banking and other personal information to register.

Now in a new twist, the calls are offering seniors $3,000 in “food savings certificates” along with a free medical alert bracelet. The robo-call says the following message:

For those sixty years old or older. You now qualify under the new National Senior Assistance Program to receive three thousand dollars in free groceries savings certificates. They can be used at over a hundred major grocery chains across the US. In addition to your three thousand dollars in savings certificate you'll receive a free emergency medical alert bracelet or necklace. This medical alert device is designed to save your life if you ever experience a fall or any other emergencies.”

. . . .

READ MORE

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

These scams sound more and more plausible. We can shake our heads in disbelief that someone would think a deposed ruler or whoever will give then millions for helping them, but it is not hard to believe someone falling for this, especially a senior.

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

These scams sound more and more plausible. We can shake our heads in disbelief that someone would think a deposed ruler or whoever will give then millions for helping them, but it is not hard to believe someone falling for this, especially a senior.

On the subject of "seniors":  My first father-in-law was "old" when I met him.  6 years later, I married his daughter (big mistake, but I was young and stupid) and he was even older.  6 years later, he died.  Really old by then.  His age at his death: 57.  I'm trying to make a point here.  I think chronological age is what most folks base being a "senior" on.  I think that is a generality and correct.  I also think it is a generality and wrong at times.  My wife is now dragging me away from my laptop to go shopping and I'll argue this point later.

Rich

#4 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Back in 1970 in met a man who was 72. I found it mind blowing that some could be born in the year of the Spanish-American war. I be 72 in a couple of years and if I take care of myself live into my nineties.

On the subject of "seniors": My first father-in-law was "old" when I met him. 6 years later, I married his daughter (big mistake, but I was young and stupid) and he was even older. 6 years later, he died. Really old by then. His age at his death: 57. I'm trying to make a point here. I think chronological age is what most folks base being a "senior" on. I think that is a generality and correct. I also think it is a generality and wrong at times. My wife is now dragging me away from my laptop to go shopping and I'll argue this point later.

Rich

Back in 1970 in met a man who was 72. I found it mind blowing that some could be born in the year of the Spanish-American war. I be 72 in a couple of years and if I take care of myself will live into my nineties. What was I thinking?-:)

Edited by yosoyellobo, 07 September 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Stray thoughts (I'm having more and more of them these days). 

When I entered school in 1958, I had two teachers who had been born in the late 1800s and had therefore experienced World War I as adults.

In the early 1990s, friends of mine used to criticize "young people" for knowing so little about the Vietnam War, yet in the mid 1960s, if someone had asked me to write down all I knew of the Korean War, I couldn't have filled one side of a piece of paper.

I wonder if anything I might say to young people about The Ed Sullivan Show or Johnny Carson means any more to them than anything my parents ever said about The Shadow or The Perils of Pauline meant to me.

The actor that played old Mr. Wilson on Dennis the Menace was 52 years old when they started shooting that series, and was just 55 when he died before the third season had been concluded.  I'm older than old Mr. Wilson ever was.  How can that be?

Edited by AntAltMike, 07 September 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

Back in 1970 in met a man who was 72. I found it mind blowing that some could be born in the year of the Spanish-American war. I be 72 in a couple of years and if I take care of myself live into my nineties. Back in 1970 in met a man who was 72. I found it mind blowing that some could be born in the year of the Spanish-American war. I be 72 in a couple of years and if I take care of myself will live into my nineties. What was I thinking?- :)

When I was in my early teens, I used to watch my 30-something year old father working around the house and aching and groaning with every move and thinking, "Man, I sure hope I don't live to be that old!"  My father was good sized guy and looked physically capable, but he did suffer from a combination of arthritis, falling arches and a bad back.  I'm now 61, and I may be kidding myself to think this, but I feel like I am as physically capable as I was in my 30s, and I just before I left the house a few days ago, I looked at a winning  lottery six  number sequence, consisting of eleven digits, and memorized it for long enough to be able to check it against the number on the the ticket I had clipped to my car visor. 

Is 60 the new 40, or, as CBS proclaimed, is 40 the new 60?  I consider it remarkable that I retain these capabilities at what used to be an age at which workers were put out to pasture, but does it really matter in the workplace?  I only recently learned that the message sent via twitter (does it have to be capitalized?) is called a tweet rather than a twit and I don't know what an "app" is, so maybe I am destined to spend 40 years draining Social Security because I am a healthy, sentient anachronism.

Edited by AntAltMike, 07 September 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I received a similar call. Since I don't know anyone in upstate New York, I blocked out the entire area code. I am sure that they will call from other locations so I will have to keep blocking out more area codes. 

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

Back in 1970 in met a man who was 72. I found it mind blowing that some could be born in the year of the Spanish-American war. I be 72 in a couple of years and if I take care of myself live into my nineties. Back in 1970 in met a man who was 72. I found it mind blowing that some could be born in the year of the Spanish-American war. I be 72 in a couple of years and if I take care of myself will live into my nineties. What was I thinking?- :)

You were looking at it from the wrong perspective.  We all tend to do that.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I received a similar call. Since I don't know anyone in upstate New York, I blocked out the entire area code. I am sure that they will call from other locations so I will have to keep blocking out more area codes. 

Between Rachel and the new mortgage calls, I'm running out of area codes to block.  These people that started these robocalls should be prosecuted for something.  

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

You were looking at it from the wrong perspective. We all tend to do that.

Rich

I find it amazing that there are people in the work force that have no personal memories of the first Clinton inauguration, and Kindergartners during Columbine graduated from high school.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

I find it amazing that there are people in the work force that have no personal memories of the first Clinton inauguration, and Kindergartners during Columbine graduated from high school.

Gotta get over that.  I see cops that are, literally, kids.  My surgeon for my last (I can only hope) surgery looked like he was 18 when he walked into the office.  Scared hell out of me.  He was in his late 30s.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

I knew someone who had brain surgery, and the surgeon was in his 80s. I guess as long as he has rock solid steady hands and has kept up with advances :)

I'm only in my late 30s myself though.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

I knew someone who had brain surgery, and the surgeon was in his 80s. I guess as long as he has rock solid steady hands and has kept up with advances :)

That would really scare me. 

It's all in the perspective tho.  How you see people.  Gets easier as you get older, I think.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Just for you, this LINK is.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Got one of these calls last night. Can't wait to get my $3,000 in free groceries. :sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,910 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Got a new variety today. A medical alert pitch. Was very good, until they stated there was $1,000 in food coupons bonus for those that signup now.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

I received an email from "Microsoft Fraud Department" yesterday.  They wanted me to click on a link that would confirm that my email met some kind of standard or all my emails would be deleted in the future "irregardless" of what I thought.  As soon as I saw "irregardless" in the email (and many other spelling and grammar mistakes) I put the sender's domain on my blocked list.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

I've also been getting a lot of emails from people that I "friended" on Facebook before it dawned on me that I'd be receiving notifications of everything they put on Facebook.  But the emails I've been getting have email addresses that have nothing to do with either Facebook or the "friends" other than using their names, which I assume are plucked from Facebook and sent out looking like a legit email.  I've just been deleting them as they arrive.  I called a couple people that I friended and they never sent me the emails.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Most of the offers I get are intercepted by Firefox and relegated to the Spam folder. When I see that there are around ten entries in Spam, I look at the sender and subject, and if I know that the entry is not spam, I move it to my Inbox. All others I delete forever.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...